Skagway - Chilkoot Bennett Scenic Journey or Dyea Dave Emerald Lake

new_cruiser

I'm torn between taking the train from Carcross which includes a stop to look around the gold rush town of Bennett, BC or just from Fraser. We are in port on a Saturday so which ever we do it will be bus up and train back.

For the former, we might use Chilkoot and Dyea Dave if we did Emerald Lake (though Chilkoot has options for the shorter train journey too.)

Is there a tour company that does one of these with a smaller vehicle like a van instead of a bus? There would be 4 of us.

We have used both Chilkoot (van up and train back) and Dyea Dave. With Dyea Dave, there were only two couples who booked the trip, so we went in a small van. Why don't you call both companies and ask about the possibility of doing the tour in a small van.

We rented a car and drove up to Emerald Lake. We did stops along the way and it took us about 3 1/2 hours up and 2 hours back with plenty of time to walk around Skagway. Rented car from Avis. You will need your passport. Just returned about a week ago

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bennett Lake is very interesting historically. The scenery is amazing and you can't get there by bus or car. I've been there twice as part of the no longer available Yukon cruisetours that HAL offered a few years ago. I would go again. Emerald Lake is beautiful but is really a "turn around" point rather than a special destination.

We just used Dyea Dave last week and had a wonderful time, possibly the best excursion we have ever taken. My wife and I were the only two people on the Emerald Lake tour that day. The used the passenger van type vehicle. turned out to be a private tour. They treated us like royalty , had a fantastic time.