We just return from the NCL Sky 5/29 Cuba

Kstofflet

Hello, we just returned from our Havana, Cuba cruise. I am available for any questions you may have. We booked this cruise as a family Christmas present and have been anticipating it for 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many reviews on the SKY for anyone interested in the ship, so I will limit my comments related to the ship. For the most part, we chose the sky because it offered an overnight stay in Havana and the ship offered balconies. I found the ship to be adequate and we viewed it as transportation only. It's not one to be compared to the Escape or harmony of the seas. I was disappointed that I did not know there wasn't a hair dryer in the cabin. This is something I wished I would have researched ahead of time

Also, there is not as much closet drawer space than we are used to on the more modern ships. We went ahead and arranged for NCL to obtain our visas. They were given to us at check in b7648f7fe9ed8139956117b57af6051b.jpg

We arranged the old Havana cars tour excursion on our own. We chose to have an English speaking tour Guide and the $ was 40 CUC per person. This was a 4 hour tour in a classic convertible. It was easy to book online and much cheaper than the ship rate. I believe they wanted $800 for 3.

Our tour was scheduled to begin at 10:00am day 1 in Havana. The ship arrived in port at 8:00. NCL was providing boarding groups to exit the ship because everyone had to go through the Cuban immigrant process. At 7:00am folks not scheduled on a ship purchased excursion could got to the outrigger bar to pick up a ticket. We arrived at 7:05 and received group 6.

Our group was called at 9:30. I was very concerned we would not make it by 10:00 as we had to go through the immigrations and still exchange the currency. We were out on the street by 9:40am. The old Havana car tour had a sign with our name on it and off we went. a0b96c512bb2f5fcd5637cd307646fb9.jpg

The floridita bar was so crowded that we couldn't enter the bar. The line was out the door. We decided to keep walking back towards the cruise terminal and we would stop in other local bars. 24d8759fe7b612970c1db157ab7be45d.jpg34e1a9b90379e166ac43b305a0850707.jpg303fc8cb2f8354051c6a768737838020.jpg

After hotel ambos munos we headed back to the ship. It was hot and we needed water. We did buy bottled water from the hotel and my son purchased a sprite. We didn't book the Tropicana show because my son is only 13 and it's for adults only. Therefore, we headed back to the ship and ate il adagio.

Looks like fun. Was Leo the Filipino guitar player on the Sky?

I do not recall. We didn't attend any of the nightly shows. We were just too tired each night from the heat of the day.

Looking forward to hearing more about your overnight stay.

We are book for 3 stops in Cuba with 2 overnights in Sept 2018.

This assuming our government doesn't remove our access.

We loved it so much that we want to go back next May 2018. I'll wait until the end of summer to book to see what our government does.

Day 2: we didn't have any scheduled tours for today and the plan was to find a restaurant that we saw on diners, drive ins and dives called El Figaro located in barbers alley. However, we walked and walked and walked (not like we could use google maps on our phone). Sadly, We never found it and we were disappointed. I did find a local art shop and I purchased a piece for 5 cuc. 80ee29a8dcbb60eb82ea37ff82b9c7e1.jpg

Thanks for all the tour info and pictures. We hope our 7/31 cruise happens as planned.

Thanks for the reminder about the hair dryer. We also are in a balcony cabin. So, the Sky doesn't even have the old box dryers attached to the wall in the bathroom like the Sun has?