Settling your account on board in your currency

Travelbug1978

Asking for my in laws since I am using OBC. Can you pay in your own currency using your cc to settle your bill and would the rate be in what you booked at or what the current exchange rate is in the ship. I know right now we can buy OBC at 1.30 CDN for every use. I know Royal will let you pay in Canadian they just do the conversion and charge your cc in CDN. I know sometimes it's not a good exchange rate and other times it is. They can by obc at 1.30 but they don't want to have to worry about getting a refund if not all used.

Princess used to offer the option to charge directly in CAD, however from what I have read it was generally regarded as something of a rip off due to the 4-5% admin fee they charged on top of exchange (calculated using the current exchange rate, not what you booked the cruise at). Regardless I don't believe they offer the option any longer as I know it was removed from my booking and I believe there was a thread here with a number of people saying the same.

Princess used to offer the option to charge directly in CAD, however from what I have read it was generally regarded as something of a rip off due to the 4-5% admin fee they charged on top of exchange (calculated using the current exchange rate, not what you booked the cruise at). Regardless I don't believe they offer the option any longer as I know it was removed from my booking and I believe there was a thread here with a number of people saying the same.

I can order bottles of alcohol to my room and book our drink packages in can thought

Yes as far as I know anything pre-purchased through the "personalizer" will be charged in CAD (alcohol, drink packages, obc, etc). The exception is Excursions which are still charged in USD.

However any charges incurred on board the ship will be charged to your card in USD and then converted to CAD by the CC company. As I said, there used to be an option to have on board expenses charged to your card in CAD (i.e. Princess would do the exchange) but that option no longer appears to be available. If I am wrong in that someone else here can chime in, I can only comment on what I see on my own booking.