Private Cuba tours

Miker1112

We traveled to Cuba on a RCCL cruise. Fernando was a fabulous communicator and always emailed quickly. His prices are super reasonable and include a lot more than the ship tour. I dislike large group tours and bus tours so FerTours was an excellent choice for us. 2 adults and a teenager. We checked support of the Cuban people and with this tour you are truly supporting the people of Cuba. There were no problems or issues.

Our guide/translator Alain was FANTASTIC!! We absolutely loved him. He spoke perfect English. He was waiting with a sign for us in the square and was a pleasure from the first moment we met him. He took us on a walking tour of Ole Havana and was very very knowledgable about every part of the city answering all our questions and showing us everything and anything we wanted to see. He even ran interference when street peddlers would want to approach us he would speak with them and then bring us their brochures or tell us what they had and let us decide if we interested or not. We also went on an old car ride. He brought us to an area with a lot of old car taxis and let us pick which one we wanted and then arranged the ride and it was all part of the tour. The whole day was fantastic and it is truly a private experience and the best way to get an overview and see Havana. I highly recommend FerTours and ask for Alain he is the best!!

We recently returned from a cruise to Cuba on the Norwegian Sky. We had no problem doing a private tour. Cuba is an amazingplace and we are so glad we went.

We used FerTours for the 2 dayswe were there and they were excellent. Iwould highly recommend them. I exchanged e-mails with Fernando prior tothe cruise to determine the best tours to fit our wishes. We enjoyed both ourtours immensely. The first day we took the Day tour to Vinales where we saw thebeautiful countryside, caves and tobacco plantation. What a wonderful day. The second day we took the Shipwrecked tourof Havana which consisted of an hour tour in an old classic convertible and a 3hour walking tour. Another fantasticday. The highlight of our 2 days in Cubawas our tour guide Angelo. He was an amazing tour guide. We truly got to see and experienceCuba. Hope to return someday.

We traveled to Cuba on a RCCL cruise. Fernando was a fabulous communicator and always emailed quickly. His prices are super reasonable and include a lot more than the ship tour. I dislike large group tours and bus tours so FerTours was an excellent choice for us. 2 adults and a teenager. We checked support of the Cuban people and with this tour you are truly supporting the people of Cuba. There were no problems or issues.

Our guide/translator Alain was FANTASTIC!! We absolutely loved him. He spoke perfect English. He was waiting with a sign for us in the square and was a pleasure from the first moment we met him. He took us on a walking tour of Ole Havana and was very very knowledgable about every part of the city answering all our questions and showing us everything and anything we wanted to see. He even ran interference when street peddlers would want to approach us he would speak with them and then bring us their brochures or tell us what they had and let us decide if we interested or not. We also went on an old car ride. He brought us to an area with a lot of old car taxis and let us pick which one we wanted and then arranged the ride and it was all part of the tour. The whole day was fantastic and it is truly a private experience and the best way to get an overview and see Havana. I highly recommend FerTours and ask for Alain he is the best!!

We also used FerTours and highly recommend them. Fernando customized a tour for our two days in Havana that included a classic convertible car ride giving us an overview of Havana, transport to/from the Tropicana on Saturday night, in-depth driving tour with stops at Havana highlights and a walking tour of Old Havana. Booking was quick and easy via email. Fernando was very quick to respond to questions and to provide suggestions for our visit.

Our ship was about two hours late docking in Havana, arriving at 4pm instead of 2pm. Our guide, Pepe, was waiting for us as planned. Because of the late arrival and it being a weekend, we needed to adjust the schedule quite a bit, but Pepe was wonderful. He was very accommodating and made recommendations on how to use our time. He is a charming young man, very knowledgeable, speaks perfect English and is obviously proud of his city.

We missed the cigar factory because we were so late arriving on Saturday and the factories are closed on Sunday. The shops that sell cigars and rum are open on Sunday, so you can still purchase whatever you might be interested in.

We used Fernando in Cienfuegos - very good choice! We had a private driver in a 1953 Chevy and a guide, Beatriz, for the whole day. She was one of the best guides we've ever had. She took us to some nice places (Punta Gorda, the palace, a fancy hotel and a shopping street), but mostly we made our own itinerary. We went to a dolphin show, had our hair trimmed at a local beauty salon, ate lunch at a paladar, bought cigars & rum at a shop, and went to a rooftop terrace for a Cuban cafe con leche. What a fun day!! :cool:

I have Blexie booked for our Feb cruise on HAL, but a lot of confusion with HAL after the latest round of government rules issued a couple of weeks ago. HAL is trying to force everyone to take a HAL excursion but I plan on keeping my tour with Blexie, he has been so helpful with emails and questions for what we want to see. Nice to see all the great reviews.

We, too, have Blexie booked for a private tour when the Veendam is in Havana in April. We hope your trip is great and that you'll post your experience.

Thank you in advance.

SuzCruise: I followed your posts and found the information helpful. I like the way you post your answers. It gave me more confidence to book the tour on our own. So, thank you.

Holly2: I am going to look for your review.

Thanks! I'm so glad you found it helpful! In my opinion, that is the point of cruise critic, seeking and sharing advice. I always get useful info here when planning a cruise and like to pay it forward. Hope you have a wonderful visit to Cuba!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also used FerTours and highly recommend them. Fernando customized a tour for our two days in Havana that included a classic convertible car ride giving us an overview of Havana, transport to/from the Tropicana on Saturday night, in-depth driving tour with stops at Havana highlights and a walking tour of Old Havana. Booking was quick and easy via email. Fernando was very quick to respond to questions and to provide suggestions for our visit.

Our ship was about two hours late docking in Havana, arriving at 4pm instead of 2pm. Our guide, Pepe, was waiting for us as planned. Because of the late arrival and it being a weekend, we needed to adjust the schedule quite a bit, but Pepe was wonderful. He was very accommodating and made recommendations on how to use our time. He is a charming young man, very knowledgeable, speaks perfect English and is obviously proud of his city.

We missed the cigar factory because we were so late arriving on Saturday and the factories are closed on Sunday. The shops that sell cigars and rum are open on Sunday, so you can still purchase whatever you might be interested in.

The way you did your tour w/ the sightseeing and Tropicana is exactly what I was looking to do. Was the rate reasonable?

The way you did your tour w/ the sightseeing and Tropicana is exactly what I was looking to do. Was the rate reasonable?

We thought it was very reasonable. There were four of us. We went back to the ship for dinner and we did the walk of Old Havana on Sunday because we were so late.

I don't think Fernando realized initially that our second day was Sunday because the Hemingway House and the cigar factories are closed on Sunday. Once we figured that out, we dropped the Hemingway House, but were too late arriving to get to the cigar factory. Here is the original agenda put together by Fernando:

Thanks for contacting me to inquire about my services.

Here's an itinerary that might fit your party just fine.

Meeting point: Saint Francis of Assisi Square across the cruise terminal.

When: 3:30 pm December 9th.

-Walking tour of old Havana including the four oldest squares of Old Havana, Saint Francis of Assisi Square, Old Square, Main Square and Cathedral Square.

-Two hours ride in a convertible car driving along the Malecon, visiting Revolution Square, driving down 5th Avenue in Miramar and finishing at the Rum museum.

-Break from 7 pm to 8:00 pm

Switch to classic car with AC.

8: 15 Dinner at a nice Paladar or restaurant

-9:30 Tropicana show

-Back to the ship at midnight

2nd Day:

All day from 10 am to 4 pm in a classic car with AC.

Visit Fusterlandia and Hemingway’s home

Visit a cigar factory.

Visit the Forts.

Visit the souvenir market.

Lunch at a restaurant or Paladar of your choice.

Price: 400 cuc.

Included: Transportation and tour guide service and also the convertible car ride.

Not included: Lunch, Admission fees, drinks or gratuities for the tour guide.

Let me know if this is acceptable.

Kind regards!

Fernando

We had a different driver for the convertible ride than the rest of the tour. After the ride, we were dropped off at the cruise terminal. When it was time to go to the Tropicana, Pepe met us outside the terminal in order to introduce us to Carlos, the driver that would be with us that night and on Sunday.

Great drivers and great guide. We were extremely pleased.

Kelly

How did they try to force you on their tours? I would also like to know if they offered additional tours, beyond what was shown on their website, once you are onboard. I think their tours are reasonably priced but for various reasons we prefer to take private tours. My husband has health issues and we don't enjoy the tours with a bunch of people. Are the Azamara tours on larger buses? Also we don't like starting our day at 7:00 a.m. LOL. Thanks for your input.

Azamara Quest. What line are you traveling on? Azamara was trying to force people on to their tours, so be prepared if that is who you are cruising with. They didn't hassle us though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No problems with the US regulations if you are using this tour company? I really don't want to do only cruise line tours and we are in Havana for 3 days/2 nights. Thanks.

We had no problems but we booked prior to June 16, so were grandfathered under the old rules. Be sure to read the rules to be sure you understand them. https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/cuba.aspx and https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/traveling-to-cuba/ .

This article is pretty good at explaining the new rules: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article185288708.html

You could also contact Fernando and see if his tours qualify.

I just booked the tour with fer tours and this is the response I got.

Hi Holly,

Thanks for contacting me to plan a Premium tour of Havana.

FerTours is a 100% private company that employs Cuban tour guides. In our tours you will spend the entire day with a Cuban that will give you a true educational tour on the Cuban culture and way of living. FerTours company is NOT listed among the companies that were listed by OFAC which cannot be used by Americans. Our company has no ties or whatsoever to the Cuban government.

By taking a tour with us you will be truly supporting the Cuban people and specifically the private sector which is exactly the reason why the latest restrictions were issued in the first place. Our company is a true example of the incipient private sector needed of the support of American tourists.

I was wondering how long does it normally take Blexie to respond to messages? We will be in Havana on Feb. 2nd aboard the Empress of the Seas and I would love to take his tour. I've sent him a message on FB last week and now emailed him yesterday. Should I have tried to book sooner? Does he get full up? I already have a RC excursion booked but I would like to cancel and go with him because I think it would be a much better experience. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.