Avalon excursions Moselle/Rhine?

ikesyd

We will be travelling on Artistry II on the Moselle Rhine Amsterdam to Basel in October. Wanting some feedback on the included and optional tours available.

Amsterdam - has anyone taken the optional Culinary walk?

Koblenz - walking tour or visit to Sayn Manor House or the optional tour to Mendig(if you take this do you miss the walking tour)?

Thionville - Metz or the Maginot Line. The optional trip to Nancy?

Trier - city or Roman walk?

Strasbourg - the optional tour to Alsace wine country (do you still have time to wander around Strasbourg)?

Breisach - wood carver and watch maker or open air museum? Or the optional tour to Colmar(leaning towards this)

I am not sure about your specific cruise, but on the Romantic Rhine, the stop in Strasbourg also has a trip to the Alsace region. I asked on the Facebook page about being able to do both and was told it was possible. Strasbourg tour was in the morning, Alsace after lunch.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

ikesyd,

cannot say anything regarding the Amsterdam walk.

In Koblenz the walking tour will be nice, but Sayn is a restored manor house with an ironworks museum and lovely chapel. I am not sure if you will go to the butterfly garden there. The park is nice but unspectacular, the village is ok and small. Nice outing. Superior over both in my opinion is the trip to Mendig. Just note that you need to be fit to navigate the cellars (stairs) you will be visiting. Sleep7 last year enjoyed it very much: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2422694&highlight=Mendig

The Maginot Line is military and interesting. If you prefer towns and architecture, especially Art Nouveau, go to Nancy: http://en.nancy-tourisme.fr/home/ I am not sure I understand it correctly, can you go to Metz instead of Nancy? Then that is also nice, Metz has a great cathedral and nice architecture on a lovely river setting. Some nice shops, too. But Nancy is possibly a superior experience, not sure.

In Trier the city walk is nice but I would go for the Roman walk to get into the city's history. It is the oldest town in Germany.

Strasbourg - others need to help you with this

Breisach - Colmar is what I would choose here for scenery and the amazing museum. But the Black Forest has got its merits. Perhaps others can tell you about the specific outings there.

I am sure you will have a great time.

notamermaid

We did Trier with Avalon last year and we've done it before with Viking and Vantage. Avalon's Roman tour focused on the baths and then went to the basilica and walked from there to the Porta Nigra. Both tours ended up with free time in the downtown area with a meeting time set around the Porta Nigra.

If you have any real interest in Roman history, I would suggest that you focus on two sites: Constantine's basilica and the Landesmuseum. The basilica will be included in the both tours. I would opt for the city tour and then strike out on your own after seeing the basilica (assuming it's early in the tour). Tell your guide what you're doing and make sure that you know what time to meet up with your group at the Porta Nigra.

Then head to the Landesmuseum. It's about a 4-5 minute walk through the palace garden. Admission is 8 €. It's a spectacular museum that includes the fabulous gold hoard of over 2,500 Roman coins discovered in 1993.

The walk from the museum to the Porta Nigra is about 1.2 km (3/4 mile). So you should allow time to get back there and meet up with your group.