Food During Excursions: Snack vs. Meal, BYO? (Low Carb in Italy)

AdventureGal79

Good morning!

My mother and I will be on the Italian Sojourn itinerary in October (on the Sun!). Due to a health diagnosis, she typically stays very low carb / ketogenic. I am very detail-oriented, so I apoligize in advance for all my questions. :halo:

I am sure that this is destination-based, but does anyone have examples of what a "snack" versus "meal" is during the shore excursions in terms of size and food type? Is everyone typically served the same item(s), or do we get a selection to choose from? Is that different when the shorex says the meal is at a restaurant versus at a farmhouse or a local home (totally not expecting a local host to whip up 30 different meals)?

If the offerings tend to be pretty carb-heavy (bread, pasta, potatoes), has anyone tried to bring food OFF the ship that they've squirreled away (I'm thinking cheeses, some raw veggies that might travel well)? Or could we discuss with guest services and see if they can provide a picnic-type meal for us to bring off?

Expect high carb offerings and you won't go wrong. I find sticking to my normal high protein/low carb diet to be very difficult when I'm traveling, no matter where I travel. At the same time, I find it much easier to avoid processed food when I travel.

You won't have trouble sticking to it on the ship but on land, it will be much more difficult.

If the tour says snack, it is most likely to be a high carb offering--like local pastries and cakes and a beverage. Meals are usually chosen in advance and you eat what is served to the whole group. If you have food issues, best to let folks know in advance.

There are hot hard boiled eggs on the breakfast buffet each morning and a mini-bar/fridge in your room. I have often considered grabbing a few eggs for snacking later--and unshelled, they are easy to take with you. I've also shopped at local supermarkets to find cheeses and other local delicacies suitable for snacking

Bottom-line, have a nice chat with the folks at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. They will be in the best position to tell you what they can and cannot do to accommodate you on the tours.

I brought ziplok baggies with me and went to the breakfast buffet and got meats and cheeses to take off. We did this in St Petersburg as we booked a private tour and decided that we would eat lunch in the van rather than going out and wasting an hour eating. We also got breads etc and made sandwiches on the van. Our friends ordered room service and put it in ziploks to take off.

Thank you both very much!!! I'll let my mother know that she will likely have some options, and remind her to bring some Ziplock bags! Not many of the excursions seem to have a snack included, so that might be a blessing, if she can nab an appropriate snack on board and then hold off for a larger meal until we return to the ship.

It is illegal to take any food that is not wrapped (candy bar, packaged cheese and crackers, etc) because of agriculture laws. If caught, the fine can be sizable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was nothing in the Viking Daily stating that we could not take food ashore. I think it depends on what country you are in. We were not sneaking it ashore, we had it in a lunch bag. We were in Russia and our Russian guide suggested it. We all had food from the ship.