Very long review, advice, and tips for the Alaska NCL Pearl

EHarris266

I am a 52-year-old female and have been on several Caribbean cruises. I was traveling with my husband and mother-in-law. We brought her a light weight wheelchair on the cruise which turned out to bean excellent idea. Since we had a wheelchair embarkation went quickly and smoothly. They were extremely accommodating. We went straight to the Summer Palace dining room around 1:00 p.m. and it was virtually empty. We received excellent service and the food was pretty good.This was the only lunch we ended up having in the dining room. The rest of our lunches we ate at the buffet or were off the ship.

The sea was very rough the first two days and the ship was really rocking, I was glad I took Bonine. I think this is typical because the weather was nice. Once we were in the inside passage I didn't have to take the Bonine.

I would recommend getting an activity card as soon as you begin the cruise. They sign your activity card when you attend an activity. You redeem this card with the signatures to the activity desk located in the Bowling Alley for merchandise.The more signatures you get, the better the merchandise. The gifts are things like t-shirts, pens, cups etc…

We booked through Costco so it included 3 meals in the specialty restaurants and unlimited beverages under $15. It was relatively easy to get a drink and you did not feel like you had to tip every time you received a drink. In Seattle waters only, you had to pay the tax on your drinks after that it was completely free. The tax was around $1 per drink and since they give you a bill and there is a tip line, I felt obligated to tip. I wish I had known earlier in the cruise that you only receive a bill like that when you are in Seattle for a drink. We kind of avoided getting drinks the next day because I was not sure when or if I would get a bill. The drinks were always way too strong, but most probably appreciated that.

We had 3 people staying in a balcony cabin 11120 and had plenty of drawer and closet space. I went to the dollar store and bought 2 additional hangers and used them all and just left them there when we departed since it was only a $2 investment. I may have been able to ask the room steward for additional hangers but I would rather spend $2 and bring my own. We were near the elevator and only one floor below the buffet, so we found it very convenient. As far as which side of the ship was better, I do not think it matters at all.

I had low expectations of the food on the cruise because of the reviews that I have read.I had some things that were very good, but most of the other food was just ok. MAKE RESERVATIONS IN THE PAY RESTAURANTS BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME. All of the prime times were full once on board. Later in the week, people were very upset because they could not get reservations at all. We really liked the food we ordered for room service. We always managed to find a seat in the crowded buffet in the LaCucina section and we picked times to go to the dining room when we would never have to wait. The servers in every place were absolutely so nice and truly made you feel appreciated, but the service was very slow because they were so busy and seemed understaffed. We also ate in Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, andCagney’s. We liked Teppanyaki the best. We have eaten in restaurants like this before, but their “show” was different than others I have seen so it was well worth it for us. Next, we liked Le Bistro, the food was pretty good there and a higher quality than in the dining room. I would not pay extra for it though if it hadn’t been included in our package. We liked Cagney’s least. I had a lobster tail, but it was fishy and did not taste like lobster tails I have had before. I would not pay extra to go there because I was just as happy with the food in the dining room. The service in there was soooo slow. I thought I would not like this free style dining, but I really did. There was always something to eat somewhere and it was pretty good things, not just some pizza. I have been on the Allure and found that complimentary food was more easily available on this ship. I found the NCL staff more accommodating and friendly than Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

The entertainment was not as elaborate as the Carnival or Royal Caribbean ships I have been on, but I still really enjoyed it and found it plentiful enough.

We stood outside on Glacier Bay day on the 4th floor bow to see the glaciers better. If you do goout there find a place on the starboard side. We got out there early to get a good spot and it probably was not really worth it. You could ease your way up when someone moved or just go to another deck on the ship. Once you get to Margerie glacier the best view is from your balcony because the captain turns the boat very slowly a couple of times so everyone gets a view of it.

Other things to mention: I wish I had brought our thermal coffee mugs from home, an empty water bottle to fill up for excursions. We booked excursions through Costco for a better price and smaller crowds than through the ship. We had no problems whatsoever and tour was simple to find. Wish we had done a whale watching tour.

No need to bring afancy dress and shoes unless you want to for a professional photograph. Mostpeople were extremely casual at every meal and at every dining location, eventhe pay restaurants. We went at the end of July and it was 90 degrees inSeattle so I am glad I brought one pair of shorts. I wore a sweater, light rainproof jacket, hat, and gloves and was sufficiently warm everywhere and toohot in some places. My husband did not dress this warmly. We brought too much cold weather gear. I do wish I had brought my Uggs though. I forgot about them since it is not appropriate attire in the summer where I live.

We did get in the hot tub once and some kids were swimming in the pool. I bought those lanyards on Amazon before we left for the key card, so I did not lose it.

Good binoculars a must.

Internet service was extremely slow. We paid $9.99 each for the NCL app. You must purchase it while you are on the ship in Seattle. It is a good way to text each other on the ship and to see your account charges. It frequently did not work, but I still think it was worth it. You can talk to them in the internet café which is located in the art gallery in the back of the ship about how to set your phone so you will not be charged internet fees.

Ports: Juneau- city tour and Mendenhal Glacier it was pretty good, wish we had done whale watching! Skagway-one way train ride. (Excellent) If you are facing the engine the bestviews are from the right side of the train. Ketchikan- loved this place! We went to the Stoney Moose. Didn’t use the spa The dispensary opened like 8 a.m.they sell single servings and then we took a walk on Married Man’s Trail.You can walk to the Lumberjack show and buy tickets that day. Victoria- took a$10 double decker bus ride to town. It was just ok. Sorry for the long review,I hope some of this helps. I believe as far as my future cruises, I will look at NCL first because the crew was amazing!

Edited by EHarris266
did not format correctly

Thanks for review. I am on Pearl 7/23/17. A few questions.

1) when on train which way did you take it for the view to be on right did you use train going or coming back from. To which which city did you take the train and who was excursion with?

2) what is Stony Moose? A spa?

3) how did you book tour in Juneau.. At dock?

4) any other tips as I just booked this a few days ago and under gun to make quick plans

Thank you

I would like to point out that you did not receive the SDP and UBP because you booked through Costco. Those are the standard perks that are available to anyone no matter how they book. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "feel obligated" to tip. Either you tip or you don't. Getting a receipt because of the tax charge makes no difference if you tip or not. I personally tip a buck for every drink I get but I get that many people do not tip because they feel like the service charge is already included. I do not consider that a tip so I tip in cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was your cruise? I was on the Pearl in June and expected it to be rocky the first day or so but it really wasn't. My friend who was with me had never cruised before so she was more sensitive to the motion and noticed it more than I did, but it was pretty smooth sailing the entire time. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Thanks for review. I am on Pearl 7/23/17. A few questions.

1) when on train which way did you take it for the view to be on right did you use train going or coming back from. To which which city did you take the train and who was excursion with?

2) what is Stony Moose? A spa?

3) how did you book tour in Juneau.. At dock?

4) any other tips as I just booked this a few days ago and under gun to make quick plans

Thank you

Not the original poster, but I just got off the Pearl this past Sunday.

When going up on the train, SIT LEFT! We rode the train back down and our lovely guide had us trade places with people on the way down. However, if you are wanting to take pictures (like me!) the train is SLOWER going up. Plus, she gave more details about what we were seeing going up. I loved the train FYI - we did the combo sled dog/gold panning/train. I'd do the sled dog and train again - the gold panning was a little disappointing (thought we were going to get more details about how they do it now)

I didn't book a tour in Juneau - it was our ONE day of rain, so we were actually happy we didn't. We had thought about booking the Mendenhall and Mt. Roberts through the cruise line, but I read that you can always catch a shuttle in town to the glacier and the tram leaves right from the main pier (not exactly where the Pearl is, but still easy) It was cloudy, etc., so we skipped the glacier, but went up the Mt. tram anyway. Had enough breaks in the clouds to get a few pics, but the paths were too muddy to try out. If I do Alaska again, will DEFINITELY walk those trails if it is sunny!

A friend recommended the state museum if weather was bad - and it looks AMAZING - but we were there on the 4th and it was closed.