Our Alaska adventure on the Norwegian Sun, June 5-12

Mitch2016

More pictures from Butchart Gardens.....This is what we saw when we came out of the wooded area......The Sunken Garden. I have never seen anything like it.....ever!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by Mitch2016

enhance

The carousel in the garden....playing "Take me out to the ballgame" and yes, I rode it!

enhance

Beautiful towering totem poles.....

enhance

This pathway smelled so good.....and I can't remember the name of this flower! We can grow them here in Iowa and I have before, but not in this quantity!

enhance

Beautiful dragon fountain....had to wait quite awhile to get this shot with nobody in it!

enhance

Sturgeon Fountain.....yep, I waited on this one too!

More of Butchart Gardens. I know you are wondering why would I need to see the gardens now after seeing all these pictures. Well.....they are constantly changing the flowers to the seasons and you can bet that a lot of what you just saw, will not be there late July-August. The roses should be blooming then, which they weren't when we were there....plus so much more!

enhance

The infamous Blue Poppy.....I wish we could grow them here in Iowa

enhance

Japanese Gardens.....

enhance

enhance

enhance

Wowzer!!! Look at that color!

enhance

enhance

The Star Pond......

enhance

The Italian Garden and the Butchart Home

enhance

Beautiful fountain in the Italian Garden

enhance

Everyone was walking up to the boar fountain and rubbing it's nose. Does anyone know why? Good luck? Huh.....

Small world! Really...your neighbors Mom lives here? Did your neighbor graduate from here too, I did from 1980. What is her maiden name if I may ask?

It is amazing that you can get such great photos with a cell phone. I have an older iPhone and never have been able to take good photos with it.

My neighbor did not graduate from Marshalltown. His mom has only lived in Marshalltown for a few years. I believe they moved there for a position with JBS.

Back in the Inner Harbour after touring Butchart Gardens....We didn't have time to go in Parliament and I thought we had grabbed a close up of Queen Victoria's statue, but we didn't. The little Harbour Ferry's were so cute! Got us to where we needed to go!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Fisherman's Whart floating houses.....along with a beautiful Catamaran sitting between the rows. I guess it could very well pass for a houseboat! We walked around several of them, and they are so cute and some really nice! There was one for sale.....anyone interested?

enhance

Fishermanenhance

We ate lunch here at Barbs.....excellent Fish and Chips. No we didn't spend $23.95/each. They had a lunch basket special and it was fantabulous!

enhance

Cute little Harbor Seal looking for a handout......

enhance

Here under the water...not so cute, in fact a little creepy! Look how round he is....I think he has had enough handouts. He would just hang under the water holding his breath looking up at folks and came to the surface only when it looked like he was going to get a treat, or ran out of air!

Victoria's Chinatown.....I would have loved tohave eaten here too, but we had just had fish/chips at Barb's. Time to walk some of it off!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I loved these trees growing out of the sidewalks!

enhance

Time to head back to Vancouver. Has been a wonderful day and we saw so much, but there was so much we didn't get to do. Next time, if we get to come back, I think we'll stay here for a couple nights, before going to Vancouver to sail. So much to see....not enough time!

enhance

Leaving Victoria and cruise ship coming in.....I think one of the Holland America's??

enhance

Gulf Islands in the Strait of George...they just go on forever

enhance

All the freight ships waiting their turn to come into port.....love the huge ships next to the probably pretty good size sail boats!

enhance

Stanley Park and Third Beach, with downtown Vancouver in the distance.....beautiful!

enhance

Stanley Park and the harbor coming into view.....

enhance

John's view from the cockpit after landing....he absolutely loved it!

After we returned from Victoria, we went back to the room and changed and rested for a bit, then walked down to Gastown. It was a little bit of a walk, further than we thought. After walking all day and the walk to Gastown.....we took a cab back to the hotel after dinner! Our legs were tired!

enhance

enhance

The steamclock was so cool....we hung round to hear it! I wish there was a way to upload videos. The steam played a song, blowing out of the "whistles" at the top, then there was a steam blast that counted off 8 times.

enhance

The Old Spaghetti Factory, Gastown. Beautiful stain glass throughout.....

enhance

Full size streetcar inside The Old Spaghetti Factory

enhance

We must have been in there a long time. It got dark! A very good nice leisurely anniversary dinner at a pretty cool place!

enhance

How cool is this. To come upon a store with your name on it while on vacation. You know we had to buy something so I could get the bag with my name on it.....duh!

Thanks so much for your review so far. We are going on the Sun in 26 days. We also have an inside cabin. Where did you find your Ketchikan guide? can you send me a link? What was your favorite thing to do in each port? Great shopping? Great seafood?......so excited..and your review is amazing...thanks..

I really just did a search for tour guides in Ketchikan and came across Wild Wolf Tours and they didn't have any availability, but they gave me Rich's name and told me he was just starting out. He doesn't have a web page but you can find him on Facebook. Search Aurora Tours Birds and Bears and you should find it. He pretty much ask what you want to see and do, but also throws in his favorite stops along the way. He was very reasonable for essentially a private tour of Ketchikan. You'll see us posted on June 7th.

We really didn't eat when we were in port so I can't say. With us doing a land tour on our own afterward and knowing we would spend a lot eating out then, we stuck to the ships food. We were paying for it so why not!

Well....I collect magnets so I got one essentially every place we went, excursions, towns, places we stopped at....you get the idea. I also collect tshirts so wanted to get one in every port and I also got one in Carcross (more out of need than anything), and Talkeetna. John has a ball cap collection so he got one also in every port, plus Talkeetna. I probably had the most fun shopping in Talkeetna....love that town. I got a few books (novels by Alaskan authors, a mini key chain (Alaska license plate) with my nickname (Mitch) for my keys at work, tshirts and Magnet, a video of what we would have seen if we could have flown around Denali (long story) and picked out a print at Aurora Dora's to have framed.

Favorite excursions.......Victoria- Butchart Gardens, Vancouver - Capilano Suspension Bridges, Granville Island. Juneau - Taku Lodge and Glacier Flightseeing with Salmon Bake (incredible), Skagway - Dyea Dave trip to Emerald Lake (incredible), Seward - Kenai National Park and dinner on Fox Island Tour w/Kenai Fjord Tours (incredible), Palmer - Horseback Riding along Knik River with view of Glacier through Alaska Horse Adventures, Talkeetna - Would have been flightseeing trip around Denali with Glacier Landing (K2 Aviation and I'm sure incredible!), Coopers Landing - Raft trip down the Kenai and Russian Rivers.

The food I had on our land portion was fantastic. Halibut Fish and Chips (Lions Pub in Vancouver, Barb's at Fishermans Wharf Victoria) and Ray's on the Waterfront in Seward), Seafood Chowder (Ray's on the Waterfront), Caribou Burgers (West Rib Pub and Grill in Talkeetna), Seafood Fettucini with sautéed Prawns, Scallops and Mushrooms with Spinach and Egg Fettucini and Alfredo Sauce (Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown), Salmon grilled open fire over Alder wood (Taku Lodge), King Crab grilled cheese sandwich to die for (49th State Brewery in Anchorage), Cheesy Artichoke and Crab dip served with toasted flat bread (49th State Brewery), Prime Rib and King Crab leg (Fox Island), The best breakfast burrito I have ever had (Lighthouse Bakery in Seward), John had Baby Back Ribs (49th State Brewery), John had traditional Cottage Pie (Lions Pub Vancouver), John had Chicken Alfredo with Mushroom and Mascarpone Cheese (Old Spaghetti Factory)

Edited by Mitch2016

Commenting so I'll get notifications on your next post. We're doing this itinerary (but on Royal Caribbean), in August 2018. I never thought to do a day trip to Victoria from Vancouver but after seeing the gardens, that will have to be put into consideration. My husband and I own a landscaping/lawn care company, so I think we would both love it!

Commenting so I'll get notifications on your next post. We're doing this itinerary (but on Royal Caribbean), in August 2018. I never thought to do a day trip to Victoria from Vancouver but after seeing the gardens, that will have to be put into consideration. My husband and I own a landscaping/lawn care company, so I think we would both love it!

Thank you for checking out my review! You will absolutely love seeing Butchart Gardens.....there is nothing in the world like it and in August, you'll probably see totally different flowers. The roses will be in full bloom then, plus some of the fall flowers coming on. We decided to do a day trip because we had always heard how beautiful the city and the gardens were. It's probably cheaper taking the Ferries over but that would have taken 90 minutes each way and made for a much longer day (13 hours) so we chose to fly. Harbour Air had a package that included flight, transportation to/from gardens and admittance to the gardens and only took an hour round trip, so that gave us more time to go to dinner for anniversary in Vancouver. There was so much we didn't see of Victoria but think we had a pretty good day. Hope you consider going!

I need to post more on our trip as it was incredible....truly a trip of a lifetime for us, but have been working 10 hour days at the clinic, so may not get more posted until the weekend. Hoping for a better tomorrow so I can get home a decent time! If I do, I'll get more done!

Thank you for checking out my review! You will absolutely love seeing Butchart Gardens.....there is nothing in the world like it and in August, you'll probably see totally different flowers. The roses will be in full bloom then, plus some of the fall flowers coming on. We decided to do a day trip because we had always heard how beautiful the city and the gardens were. It's probably cheaper taking the Ferries over but that would have taken 90 minutes each way and made for a much longer day (13 hours) so we chose to fly. Harbour Air had a package that included flight, transportation to/from gardens and admittance to the gardens and only took an hour round trip, so that gave us more time to go to dinner for anniversary in Vancouver. There was so much we didn't see of Victoria but think we had a pretty good day. Hope you consider going!

I need to post more on our trip as it was incredible....truly a trip of a lifetime for us, but have been working 10 hour days at the clinic, so may not get more posted until the weekend. Hoping for a better tomorrow so I can get home a decent time! If I do, I'll get more done!

Well, I'm waiting with much anticipation and can't wait to see the rest of your review!

Sunday June 4th. We went to Capilano Suspension Bridge in the morning and did the Hop-on/Hop-off in Vancouver in the afternoon. It was just a very relaxed day as yesterday in Victoria was a full one!

When you first walk into Capilano, you learn about the history of the area, the river and the indigenous people that lived here before. Very interesting.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Beginning my trek across the bridge.....when you get to the middle, it really gets wobbly and tips from side to side. The plus side....what a view! The bridge can hold approx 1300 people so knew it wouldn't break, but when it wobbles, you get a little rush!

enhance

The view from the middle of the bridge...250 in the air. Notice my hand on the rail.....it's was wobbly! ;)

enhance

Whew! I made it to the other side.....it's a really looooong bridge and steep on the ends.

enhance

I love this view of the trees......they were a good 200 feet tall! Incredible!

enhance

While at Capilano, we attended a birds of prey show and were educated on the red tail hawk, the peregrine falcon and the great horned owl

enhance

enhance

Red-tail hawk....he wasn't very old and still in training.

enhance

enhance

Peregrine Falcon....isn't she beautiful.

enhance

Great horned owl....beautiful bird.

enhance

The Cliff Walk taken from the Suspension Bridge

enhance

The Suspension Bridge taken from the Cliff Walk

enhance

The Cliff walk and Suspension Bridge together

enhance

View from the cliff walk....doesn't that look peaceful. Can you still smell the fresh air and woodsy smell??

enhance

That was a BIG tree!!

Do you have to go both ways over the bridge? or is there another way round? I really want to do it - but I know I will be sooooo scared - maybe if it was only one way I could do it

There isn't another way around as you're in a gorge crossing a river. Really, it wasn't too bad. I just kept telling myself that it won't break, 1300 people is a lot of people. If you in the area, please check it out. There is so much that we didn't do on our trip, and now were back and who knows when or if we'll ever get back.

After Capilano we went back on got on our hop on/hop off bus and took a drive around Stanley Park. We thought of getting the bikes you can rent and bike around, but we didn't and I so regret that. The ride on the bus around the park was okay with the few stops we made, but biking along the seawall would have been so much better. If you want to do something but are on the fence....please, please just do it. Now we're back home and may not get another chance.

After Stanley Park, we went over to Granville Island and it was fun. Have never seen such a variety of different foods in one building, lots of fun shops, entertainment going on. After Granville Island, we got back on the bus and rode it around the route, seeing the highlights of Vancouver. Their new library is beautiful....looks just like the Coliseum in Rome. Just a relaxing afternoon after such a full day in Victoria the day before.

enhance

There are those bikes that I wish we would have rented.....grrrr.

enhance

All the boats in the marina and Coal Harbor in the distance

enhance

Lions Gate Bridge from Stanley Park

enhance

Prospect Point in Stanley Park with a view of Lions Gate Bridge. There was a great place to get some ice cream in a waffle cone here and take a little break and just watch the boat traffic in and out....incredible view out to the Pacific

enhance

enhance

Cruising by English Bay Beach....I love all the logs. They are just washed up logs that fall off of ships transporting them and made good use of seats, back rest etc., here at the beach.

Edited by Mitch2016

We got off the bus and False Creek and took the Ferry over to Granville Island. What a fun place...street entertainment, cute shops, fantastc food. Was just fun to people watch and take in all the sights and sounds.

enhance

enhance

enhance

This guy put on a great show and was also had great sense of humor.....was fun to watch!

enhance

This gives you an idea of inside the marketplace....so many great foods. If I lived here....this would be a frequent visit each week for me. Fantastic!

enhance

Look at these silo's.....aren't they the cutest!!

enhance

The Vancouver Public Library....see what I mean when I said the Coliseum in Rome. Beautiful building.....

When we got back to Canada Place, we got off the bus and went to Mahoney and Sons at the Convention Center and had some adult beverages, appetizer and watch the sail away of Ms Noordam and Celebrity Infinity. If I remember right, it was the Infinity that crashed into the dock in Ketchikan last year.

enhance

enhance

I love this shot of the folks watching the Celebrity leave port.....in their minds they are saying "Man, I wish I was on that ship right now heading to Alaska."

enhance

After sail-away we had dinner in Lions Pub....an English style pub that had great food. John had traditional Cottage Pie, and I of course had the fish and chips. It was phenomenal....wouldn't even share a bite! After dinner, we returned to the hotel and started packing up and getting to leave on our cruise in the morning.

We had just gotten to bed and about 2 hours later....at 12:20 am we hear "This is not a drill, remain calm and evacuate the building immeditely, this is not a drill." All the while the alarms were sounding.... If that doesn't get your hear pumping! We were on the 9th flood so we threw on our sweats, grabbed a jacket, cellphone and passports and down the stairs we went, It took about 20 minutes for Vancouvers finest to get there....

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here lies the problem....the board malfunctioned setting off the alarms and the security on duty was fairly new at her job and couldn't get it shut down and notify the fire/rescue of the malfunction. They had to do a full search of the building before allowing anyone back inside. If anything....it gave the hotel some good practice and what to do the next time. Off to bed we went after having a little excitement to add to our adventures.....

Tomorrow we sail!!!