Our Alaska adventure on the Norwegian Sun, June 5-12

Mitch2016

Great trip report ! Thx for taking the time to post this photojournal. Please add it to the 2017 List. It will be a great resource as people plan for next yr.

You did a nice job of highlighting sights in Vancouver .... I've never understood why people are in such a rush to board the ship when there's so much to see and do in Vancouver, even if it's just to spend the day at Stanley Park.

Great trip report ! Thx for taking the time to post this photojournal. Please add it to the 2017 List. It will be a great resource as people plan for next yr.

You did a nice job of highlighting sights in Vancouver .... I've never understood why people are in such a rush to board the ship when there's so much to see and do in Vancouver, even if it's just to spend the day at Stanley Park.

Thank you Maple Leaves.....its been fun doing this and reminiscing about our trip. Hard to believe we got home a month ago. :(

Monday June 5th- Day 1

Today we get on our way to seeing Alaska for the 1st time on our 1st cruise.....ever! We're both so excited! We grabbed a couple breakfast sandwiches at Tim Hortons in the Food Court close to our hotel, then walked down to the Vancouver Lookout. It was a beautiful day with clear blue skies....

enhance

Walking down to the Vancouver Lookout.....notice the wires above the streets? This is from the old street car lines. I don't think they run on electric any longer, but I could be wrong

enhance

On our way to the top!

enhance

To the left is the Rogers Arena where the Canucks play hockey and middle right is the Holy Rosary Cathedral.....beautiful church.

enhance

Gastown....loved this area of Vancover. The old brick streets, the architecture of the buildings, the tree lined streets......so cool! Check out that tall triangular building....look at the trees growing on top of it!

enhance

Vancouver shipyards and train tracks right next door

enhance

This was the best view walking around the whole Vancouver Lookout.....can't wait to get on board! John, lets go!

We head back to the hotel and check out....the bellman gets us a cart and he then walks our luggage to Canada Place for us. Talk about service! Staying at the Auberge Hotel was a great location, pretty good price for being so close to waterfront, and excellent service. We'll stay again if we get the chance to return!

enhance

enhance

We arrived at Canada Place about 11:00 in the morning, and the line to check in with NCL was moving quickly and we didn't have long before we were going through the security and customs process.

enhance

The Disney Wonder was also leaving port today.....Happiest Place on Earth! I think we were pretty happy getting ready to be on the Sun!

enhance

Our first glimpse of the NCL Sun.....I was so excited to be finally on our first cruise!

enhance

We're on board....walking on the Promenade at 11:40! It only took us 40 minutes to get checked in and through security/customs.

enhance

Our first stop....the Topsiders bar for our first celebratory drink to our first cruise and our first trip to Alaska. John had The Perfect Margarita and I had a BahaMama in a souvenir tiki glass!

We're on board and we get notified about 1:30 that the cabins were ready so we went down to see if our luggage had arrived. It had, so we quickly unpacked some things and got somewhat situated. There was plenty of room under the bed to stash all our luggage and bags, plenty of storage to put clothes in closets, drawers. The bathroom had lots of shelves on either side of the mirror to stash your typical bathroom stuff. The shower was just curtained which was okay. I did bring along some heavy clips to put on the bottom at both edges to keep the curtain down straight. By the way....got to say that the water pressure in the shower and room in the shower was excellent! The only downside is there is only 1 outlet for plugging things in like alarm clocks, camera and cell phone chargers. We had purchased a squid multi-outlet extension cord and it worked fantastic!

enhance

enhance

The Great Outdoors.....we ate breakfast every morning out here. I didn't care for the scrambled eggs, so it was so great to have an omelet station and cooked to order eggs. Also, gotta say, I have never seen so much bacon in my life! Who doesn't love bacon!

enhance

The entrance to the Sports Bar right off the Great Outdoors....we spent a lot of time here. Watched the Stanley Cup finals here....was a fun place to hang out and visit with ours about their adventures!

enhance

At 3:30 we met at our assigned Muster Station, ours being H. All these lovely people will be on the lifeboat directly above our heads should the need arise. We of course listened to instructions, but we also got to know a few while we waited....just in case!

enhance

We made our way back to the sail away party pool side....the grills were fired up, beverages flowing and everyone seemed to be having a good time. We refreshed our drinks and made it to the front and top of the ship to watch sail away instead of down here. They did have the band playing, the production cast dancing and singing but we wanted to say good bye to Vancouver.

enhanceWe set up with a couple loungers and our sailaway drinks right by the infamous compass on this trip. We had just gotten out of Vancouver and into the Pacific and there were guys working on it with their tools etc. Evidently it was having problems calibrating as we spun in circles for awhile, they did get it going and thankfully we got on our way!

Saying goodbye to Vancouver!

enhance

Our view as we backed out of Canada Place and began our journey

enhance

The Disney Wonder left right ahead of us and we followed it out of port.....

enhance

Good bye Vancouver......we had an incredible time here and hope to come back again some day!

enhance

Approaching the Lions Gate Bridge then we're on our way to Alaska!!

enhance

John taking a picture of me as I recorded a video of us passing under the Lions Gate Bridge.

enhance

And we are on our way.....inside passage here we come!

We had dinner at LaCucina our first night.....probably my favorite restaurant. You would think one would have Italian in an Italian restaurant....nope, we had steak and it was fantastic! We started with some Calamari and shrimp risotto that was fabulous, then had a fantastic ribeye! Afterward we went to Dazzles and enjoyed the music for awhile, then enjoyed a walk along the promenade deck before retiring back to the cabin. It had been a fun filled Day 1 of our cruise....

enhance

John with that grin, sitting there in this beautiful restaurant, by a window looking out at the fantastic passing scenery, getting ready to have a great meal and saying, "Why haven't we done this before! It's incredible!"

enhance

Calamari which was really really good!

enhance

The shrimp risotto....I couldn't wait and had cut up my shrimp before I took the picture, but they were huge. It was fabulous!

enhance

A really thick ribeye cut with an iceberg salad wedge and a corn something. I would rather have had a baked potato...it's what you have with steak, but it was still really good! The little butter pallet on top of the steak was infused with garlic and herbs and you rubbed it over the hot steak so it melted down inside. We were too full after such a fantastic meal to have dessert. Unheard of, right!

enhance

Dazzles Club for a drink after dinner and to watch the festivities!

enhance

Walking around the promenade deck and were back to our Muster Station H as the ship moves on forward....it had been a wonderful first day!

Day 2-----At Sea. There won't be too many pictures from this day as the ship really started rocking when we were in open water and John wasn't feeling well by afternoon. We had our meet and greet from the Roll Call, but unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures! Duh! It was fun to place faces to names, and even though it was a small intimate group, NCL rolled out the red carpet, having a nice spread of treats, coffee etc.... and we got to meet some of the ship directors. By 11:45, at the Meet and Greet, you could really feel the ship, especially being top of the ship and aft.... and it was time to say our goodbyes.

We tried going down low, mid ship to see if it helped, it didn't. We tried putting a little something in our stomach to see if it helped, it didn't We tried stepping outside for fresh air to see if it helped, it didn't.

We spent most of the afternoon, laying down in our cabin as that was the only place that our stomachs didn't roll. I welcomed the nap as the previous 4 days had been packed and constantly on the go. Things settled down about 5:00 when we got between Queen Charlotte Islands and the main land. John was feeling better, and we were both rested so went to the Sports Bar to have a snack and drink. We shared some spinach artichoke dip and chicken wings for supper and then went to watch the show in the Stardust Lounge.

enhance

I loved this view and the sound of the water as we cruised along.....

enhance

We were in the Sports Bar a lot along with the Great Outdoors. There were only a few in here tonight.....

enhance

The Great Outdoors was empty.....the only time I ever saw it empty the whole trip.

enhance

Beautiful stain glass of Viking Ship as we walked to the Stardust Lounge for the show.....

enhance

Tonight's production was "Rock You Tonight" and it was really good! You couldn't help but sing along.

enhance

Our first towel animal greeted us when we got back to our room. After watching the the production, we went to Dazzles and watched the "Yes or No" game show. It was a lot of fun! You were in the hot seat, having conversation with cruise director Dave and Yosua (assistant) as they were taking turns asking questions but you couldn't say yes or no for 2 minutes. Oh they were slick and tried to catch you, but some actually pulled off! After that, we decided to get dessert as we hadn't eaten much today and went to the Sports Bar (you'll see this in my review often) where they had a really good cheesecake with chocolate sauce and pineapple. John had the sponge cake with strawberries.... Nice ending to our only bummer day out of the whole trip.

Day 3 - Ketchikan We had a wonderful day. We had arranged a tour with a local guide who was born and raised here in Ketchikan, and a Tlingit. See my earlier comments from our day. Now, here are some of the photos.....

enhance

We're here.....got ready fro the day and walked out to the Great Outdoors for breakfast and this view looking east greeted us! So happy it wasn't raining!

enhance

Looking west from the ship.....

enhance

View of the ship as we got off in Ketchikan.....never tire of this view.

enhance

Our first eagle sighting....we saw so many more throughout our entire trip. Such beautiful, majestic birds!

enhance

Beautiful.....

enhance

This is your average eagles nest.....looks like an upside down VW Bug, doesn't it!

This is such a fun read! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first cruise. It's fun to go along with you on your adventure. We've been to Alaska twice on the Sun, and she's a really cute little ship. We also stayed at the hotel above the Terminal City Club, but at the time it was actually known as "The Hotel Above Terminal City Club." It sounds like the Auberge is a big improvement.

We, too, love the Granville Market and the little ferries. We haven't biked around Stanley Park, but we did walk around it (late one night after one too many drinks). When we're there next summer, thanks to your suggestion, we will rent bikes.

Your pictures are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure.

Day 3 - Ketchikan

enhance

Saxman Village Clan House and Totem Row

enhance

Can you imagine having this view from your living room? This was taken from Mountain Point at the entrance of George Inlet as we rounded the curve to head up north.

enhance

This yearling black tail deer that we saw along the road.....isn't she cute!

enhance

Herring Cove....sometimes you can see bear here, but we knew it was way too early. However, we did see a paw print in the mud.

enhance

Another eagle....his head is all muddy so I'm guessing he was munching on something there in the grass/mud.....

enhance

Herring Cove and the George Inlet.....there were about 5 seals close to the shoreline but we weren't able to get good pictures. This would be another perfect location for a home! Beautiful....

Edited by Mitch2016

Day 3 - Ketchikan

enhance

Beaver Creek Falls along Tongass Highway

enhance

Beaver Creek Falls.....

enhance

Inside Passage Ferry (Malaspina) along the Tongass Narrows.....

enhance

Creek Street.....what really boggles my mind is that a lot of the town, not just Creek Street is setting on pylons

enhance

One thing I noticed throughout our travels in Alaska....there were a lot of brothels LOL!!

enhance

Creek Street looking from the other direction....

Day 3 - Ketchikan

enhance

Funicular waiting to come back up to Cape Fox Lodge

enhance

Large canoe hanging in the lobby of the Cape Fox Lodge

enhance

View from the Funicular heading back down.....

enhance

Whale Park

enhance

Ketchikan is certainly set up for the tourist....the city gets a lot of its income from all those that arrive every summer.

Day 3 - Ketchikan

enhance

Love this statue welcoming tourist to Ketchikan....it really depicts it's history.

enhance

Obviously, I can't hold my phone straight....ever! But this plaque explains the statue.

enhance

The Iconic Welcome to Ketchikan sign......

enhance

The Iconic Ketchikan rain gauge....last year they got 14 feet and some odd inches!

enhance

Beautiful street lamp post banners......

enhance

And were back to the ship by all aboard t 3:30....a fun day in Ketchikan!

Day 3 - Ketchikan

We're back up on board and going to drop off our goodies in our cabin before heading to the Great Outdoors to sail away and say goodbye to Ketchikan. It turned out to be a great day weather wise, saw a glimpse of the sun at times, did a lot of walking and soaked it all up!

enhance

Just stepped outside our cabin and going to trek down the hall back toward the Great Outdoors. Notice the fish? They are swimming upstream or the front of the ship, were going to go against the stream to get to the back of the ship. Good idea NCL....easy to get turned around in the long hallways!

enhance

The Alleutian Ballard coming back from an excursion....we debated on doing this tour, but so glad we just hung out around town and the island.......learning about the Tlingit culture with our guide, and seeing the beauty of Ketchikan outside of town.

enhance

Heading out in the Tongass narrows....Goodbye Ketchikan!

enhance

Alaskan Inside Passage Ferries....one in drydock and another being built.

enhance

Love this picture....the mountains in the background, the float plane, beautiful little islands in the narrows.

enhance

Guard Island Lighthouse.....beautiful

Day 3 - Ketchikan

After hanging around the Great Outdoors for awhile, and having a few adult beverages to celebrate Day 3 in Ketchikan, we got ready for dinner at Cagneys. We had originally planned on eating here yesterday, but was able to reschedule as I wasn't sure how John would be feeling that night and luckily, they had room about 7:30. We had a nice leisurely dinner...

enhance

We had dinner tonight at Cagney's Steakhouse

enhance

Appetizer, we both had chicken wings and jumbo shrimp cocktail. Aren't they cute! You won't see the jumbo shrimp cocktail.....I devoured it before I could get a picture as we hadn't eaten since breakfast and we were starved!

enhance

John had this salad, but I don't remember what it was. He said it was good!

enhance

We also had the the rib-eye here, and I had steamed broccoli with garlic mashed potatoes. The steak was a little rare for me, so I had to send it back, but when it came back.....it was delicious!

enhance

For dessert, I had the raspberry creme bruleee....it was so good and smooth! John had the baked apple crisp....

enhance

When we got back to the room tonight, we had Yoda waiting for us....."Sleep you must!" He was so cute, and sleep we did! A full fun day. Tomorrow, Juneau!

Taking this same northbound cruise on July 17th. Excited to read your review on your activities and the Sun!

I'm sorry I didn't get my review done in time for your trip tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful week and see lots of incredible things! We loved the Sun, just the perfect size for us, food was good, drinks were good, entertainment was good....and meeting so many fantastic people from all over the world was so cool! Safe travels tomorrow!

Who did you do the tour in Kitchekin with?

We used Rich with Aurora Tours Birds and Bears. He doesn't have a web page as he is just starting out, but you can find him and his phone number on Facebook. Search for him under his tour name on Facebook. Really nice guy and price was pretty good. I felt good helping out a guy just starting out his own tour company.

Day 4 - Juneau

Today was the day I was most looking forward to on our cruise. The weather was perfect...meaning it wasn't raining! I was so worried about rain, low cloud ceilings and our trip to Taku Lodge being cancelled. The skies were overcast but that was perfect for glacier viewing....the blues would really pop then!

enhanceStephens Passage on our way to Juneau

enhance

The slopes of the hills were so lush and green....and the homes along the shore, beautiful!

enhance

We were docked at the AJ Dock which is straight ahead.....it was the furthest out from downtown, but they had free shuttle buses that ran every 15 minutes so you were always able to get a ride coming and going.

enhance

The top of Mt. Roberts Tram taken from the ship. Can't wait to get up to the top!

enhance

Celebrity Infinity and Holland America Zaandam were also in port. We arrived early about 10:00 instead of 11:00.

enhance

The Sun did a 180 so we were facing out toward Stephens Passage later that evening to leave on our way to Skagway....