Escape - Haven 17120

RPCVcruiser

This will be a review of our July 1 trip on the Escape. Our family consists of me, Big Daddy, Hot Mama and The Kid (14 yo). This was our 7th NCL Cruise, going all the way back to the Majesty.

We are from Northern Virginia and headed down to Miami on the Friday as we didn't want to miss our first Haven vacation. Flying down from Dulles we were pleasantly surprised that TK was selected for TSA Precheck and rock starred it through the security line. When we got to Miami we stayed at the Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon as it had a free shuttle, reasonable price and would need only one uber to the port. Upon checking in the hotel receptionist mumbled something about a suite that I quite frankly didn't remember booking as I thought TK would be riding the couch for the one night before the cruise. Went up to the room and realized that BD made a happy accident. Full blown suite with a balcony that was huge and overlooked the Miami skyline. HM was suitably impressed. We ate at the bar, fancy I know, but we were hungry. We typically order calimari whenever we find it,,, and boy did they deliver. Prolly the best we have had and that's saying a lot. So if you use this hotel option, be sure to eat the calimari. Good day 1 was had by all, day 2 we checked out early and called uber to bring us to port. Cost was about $36 to the boat from the airport. BTW taxis from the airport are fixed at $42. Next post,,, getting onto the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Getting onto the ship was a breeze. Longest wait was inside on the security line at Terminal B. Security opened up the entry lines at 10 am. Once through security, it was a a short walk and a quick left into the Haven lounge. Was the first to check in and was super quick. After about 40 minutes, the lounge was getting pretty full, so off to holding area for the rest of the wait. During that walk upstairs, there was a bit of miscommunication with the health paperwork guy, who clearly understood that no one shall ever pass without filling out the form. It looked like Gandalf fighting a balron. He however did not stand his ground for long and quickly gave up trying to stop the Haven horde.

Got called onto the ship shortly after that,,, about 11 am. Quick elevator and off to the Haven and the cruise officially beginning

The room we chose way back when we booked was picked half on a hunch that it would have great access to the lounge and pool, two big parts of our cruise experience. We were spot on to the location as the lounge door was across from our door and the pool door right beyond that with the stairs to the restaurant after the pool door. It was a short walk to the concierge, bar or wherever you wanted to go. Quiet as anything too.

The suite was a standard 2 bedroom with a living/dining area and adjacent balcony. The master bedroom was dominated by a king sized bed, lots of storage (two closets) and a dressing table for HM. Bathroom was like home with the exception of the shower array and the enclosed toilet. Took a minute to figure out the best configuration of horizontal heads and rainfall shower head. HM quickly figured out you want to start in the shower with the door closed (there is plenty of room behind the door to stand and test the water). Otherwise you will spray into the rest of the bathroom with the horizontal heads. Balcony was roomy, not huge, with nice chairs and a table for your favorite beverage. Coffee maker was super easy to use, HM was firing up espressos in minutes.

Movie choices were numerous at 42 when we boarded. Apparently some movies disembarked overnight as day 2 started with 24 and then we picked some up in Tortola as they numbered 28. Hard to start and stop movies as they go back to the start. Movies were free for Haven and BD and HM love their movies. General note on the television remotes, the sensor is located on the bottom left (blue light) on the television.

Suite was supplied with a fruit bowl straight from Harry Potter as it magically refilled itself each day and a lovely floral arrangement that I thought was fake until day 7 when I noticed a few of the flowers were shriveling up. The bathrobes were wonderful, so much so that HM and TK used them as blankets when the bathrobes weren't used as a robe. They also magically refill themselves in the closet if you don't put them back there. By the end of the cruise there were 4 in the cabin.

The Kid's room was small but perfect for a teen as no natural light could enter, making sleeping all day possible. The bathroom was a standard ship bathroom. Storage was less the master, but adequate.

For our cabin, we had Oliver as a butler. Oliver was fantastic. It started out a lil rough for Oliver, but he came back strong. HM wanted some cheesecake she found in the Garden Cafe and brought it back to the room for dessert on the first day. We were in the cabin for all of 5 minutes when Oliver came by to pick up some dishes and glasses (from the nearby bar). He asked if it was okay to clear up the dishes, which we quickly agreed. The table was full and HM placed her cheesecake out of the way on the dry bar for later. Of course it got cleaned up, leading to HM asking about it to Oliver, who had a look on his face of "oh dear". Not the end of the world at all, Oliver then proceeds to bring the better part of a whole cheesecake to the room to replace the trashed cheesecake.

Other things to say about Oliver, I get up real early (5:15 am) due to work. Can't turn it off no matter how I try to, so I'm up early. Everyday Oliver would bring a pot of coffee at 6 for me while I waited for the rest of the group to awake. This was followed at 8 by another pot of Joe for me and HM, whatever TK wanted from the room service as getting to the Haven breakfast was "too early" for her teen sleeping pattern. From the room service menu, it never had hot chocolate as a choice which is TK drink of choice in lieu of coffee that we drink. Oliver would send a pot for her each day that we mentioned when we first met Oliver. TK liked this so much that she wrote a thank you note to Oliver about how she enjoyed her daily pot and wasn't around/awake when Oliver came by each day to thank him personally. Oliver then proceeded to follow up that with a delivery just for TK for dessert.

The rest of us never starved as food kept coming to the room each day for snacks. The craziest day was when there was six different snacks brought, each one different and delicious. BD was accused several times of eating all the chicken salad sandwiches.

We did take advantage of our gold latitudes perk of 50% off laundry. HM was surprised that I was able to get 26 articles of clothes into the Haven laundry bag. We did it during the bag of laundry sale at $19. I wondered how they would handle the added discount of 50%, NCL charged us a whopping $9 and some change for the mega load. Came back clean, folded and in a wicker hamper.

Thanks for your review. I have the same cabin in 48 days and strategically picked this cabin for its location. Easy to carry martinis that short distance while the wife is getting dressed and the kids enjoy the late night jacuzzi sessions before turning in.

It's a great location for visiting the bar and getting one to go. Miro and Bong were the bartenders last week. Both mix a fine drink. If you are adventurous ask Miro for a "Winter Cigar". Also excellent was the "Legend Revived". Be sure to the bartender you are taking to the room as they will normally make the to go drinks in plastic cups as they think you are going to the pool area.

Edited by RPCVcruiser