Restaurants - Sydney, Melbourne, Perth

Jane110

HI All, (turtle Micheal/AussieGal and everyone else)

I finally got our Good Food Guides for Sydney and Melbourne which also includes some other cities, like Perth.

We're big on Mod Oz cuisine and would like some recommendations. This is our 6th visit to Oz (will be our first time in Perth & Margaret River).

For Sydney, I'm wondering if we should go back to Tetsuya. We were at his original place and loved it. But now that dinner is $175. PP in the new location, we're wondering if it's worth a second visit. Has the menu changed radically? The Good Food Book talks about some of his signature dishes, like the Coral Trout which we've had, etc.

So where else should we go? I got a raving review of Panorama (on Bondi) from someone who's opinion I trust, so we'll go there.

We've already been to Bennelong at the Opera House, RockPools (many visits), Paddington's on Oxford St., Jonah's on Whale Beach, Bistro Mars, Kables, Silk (now out of business),Kiosk on Manley Beach, MG Garage and of course, no visit is complete w/out a pie from Harry's Cafe de Wheels. How's the new place in the Kirkton Hotel? As you can see, we like both high end places as well as less pricey casual ones. We want exciting food - the best of Mod Oz.

In Melbourne, our favorite is Momo's, so we'll probably go there again. Never been to Stassio's, so that's probably a "must". Been to Ezard at Adelphi and loved it, but no reason to go back. Loved Sailor Thai for lunch, also loved Stephanie Alexander's place...think it's called The Larder? So, where else should we go?

Any recommendations for Perth and Margaret River?

Thanks,

Jane

I'm afraid MG Garage has now closed as well.

It sounds like you haven't been to the Bathers Pavilion at Balmoral Beach? The views are somewhat wasted when it's dark - you really can't see much - but if you go in the summer for an early dinner you can watch it get dark while you eat. Only downside is that it's difficult to get to without your own car.

Globaliser,

Sorry to hear that MG Garage is closed. We liked that place.

We won't have a car in Sydney, so need places that we can get to easily by taxi.

I've heard of Bathers Pavillion. Will look it up in the guide. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jane

Jane.

I also love Bathers Pavilion at Balmoral just for the wonderful ambience and setting. I have had many lunches and dinners there when our daughter and son in law lived in Mosman.

In Melbourne have you tried Cafe Di Stasio, Donovans and the Stoke House upstairs in St. Kilda. The Park Hyatt has a wonderful restaurant called Radii and of course there is our wonderful Jacques Raymond for a special night out.

Jennie

Jane.

I also love Bathers Pavilion at Balmoral just for the wonderful ambience and setting. I have had many lunches and dinners there when our daughter and son in law lived in Mosman.

In Melbourne have you tried Cafe Di Stasio, Donovans and the Stoke House upstairs in St. Kilda. The Park Hyatt has a wonderful restaurant called Radii and of course there is our wonderful Jacques Raymond for a special night out.

Jennie

Jennie,

Yes, Stasio is on the list as we haven't been there yet. We already have a reservation for Vue du Monde. We've been to Donovan's on St. Kilda and loved the sunset as well as the food.

Will look up Jacques Raymond and Radii in the food guide. Thanks for the 2nd thumbs up for Bather's Pavillion.

Thanks for your input.

Any Perth or Margaret River suggestions anyone?

Jane

Okay, if no one else will but into this I will give my two cents worth.

In Perth you could head to the beaches (12km from central Perth or downtown to you) for an array of cafe restaurants. Two of the best being Indiana Tea House at Cottesloe and Oceanus at City Beach.

Closer to the city is Frasers (Kings Park), C Restaurant and Lamonts at East Perth. It has been said that as a result of Perth's out door lifestyle and moderate weather the city and suburbs has the highest density of restaurants per head of population than just about anywhere.

The Margaret River region has some great winery restaurants and a couple of beauties in the resorts. Try The Far Side of the Moon restaurant at the Bunker Bay Resort. We loved it. We also like Flutes at Brookland Valley Winery for nightime dining and Cape Clairault for lunch.

These sites may help you.

http://perth247.com.au/default.asp

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/

When are you travelling. Email me if you would like more information on anything Western Australia.

gregfoto(no spam)@highway1.com.au

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for your reply and your recommendations. I have a busy few days ahead of me, but will look up the restaurants you suggested in the Good Food Guides I got last week. They both include Perth.

We'll be there in February.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions! :)

Jane

Hi Jane,

Well....I can only re-recommend Tetsuya's in Sydney! Dined there last week and, despite the cost...it is still worth every penny (cent?). The new premises are spectacular.....the food is just as wonderful and exciting and unpredictable as it ever has been.

I too was an avid follower of 'Tets' in his former premises at Rozelle, and was concerned about his move to larger and more 'glamorous' surroundings. Imagine my delight (and surprise) when he sought me out at the end of the meal, to ensure the usual experience was as it has always been.

He now does, exclusively, a degustation menu of around 10 courses, which means you have a wonderful taste of everything that creative gent can come up with. As I said earlier....worth every penny. Service was, as usual, wonderful...and the food.....well, you have already experienced it.....just quite no words to describe. Put it on your list of places to eat in Oz.....which sound spectacular, by the way!

Yours in gastronomy.....Robyn

Robyn,

Thanks for the "thumbs up" for Tet's.

Yeah, I guess I really have to see the new place. I've seen photo's of it and it's quite spectacular.

Do they still have a BYO policy?

Thanks,

Jane

• 1 month later...

Archived