Cruising the Baltics with a Teen and Tween on the Getaway; A Review

Travel R

I will be taking the same cruise in August. I have truly enjoyed your posts and have learned a lot. I check each day for your posts. Thank you for sharing.(y)

It is an amazing adventure.

If you have any questions (general of specific) about the itinerary, ship, or ports, please feel free to ask.

CLOTHING - HOW TO DRESS

The temperatures and weather in the region is very temperamental. It can be cold and rainy in the morning and "warm" (low 70s) in the afternoon, then change back again.

For the most part, I did not wear most of my shorts in any of the ports (I had six different pairs). However, it was usually in the low 60s and cloudy most days (with a spot of rain here an there). [All of the websites showed that it should have been in the low 70s as the average temperature,]

Hopefully everyone reading this will bring long pants, and not wear them most of the trip. It should be getting a bit warmer as we head into the middle of July and into August. But be prepared if it is not.

If I were to pack for this itinerary again, I would do the same thing - be ready to wear clothing for cool and semi-warm days. Be prepared to dress in layers. So on top, a t-shirt, long sleeve sweatshirt, sweater, and light rain jacket. For most of the ports I wore the t-shirt, sweat shirt, and had the rain jacket with me when needed.

I took a back pack with me each day so that my family could add or take off their layers as the weather changed throughout the day. If you take a ship/private tour, most times you can keep the bag in the bus under the protection of the driver. This is especially helpful when in Saint Petersburg. We also kept snacks & protein bars in the pack as well.

I also wore a baseball hat most days so I would be prepared for both the rain and the sun.

Just as a side note, for touring and exploring, the temperature being a little cooler is nicer than sweating it out in the heat of the sun.

IMHO, you posted a great "Coming down to the Wire checklist"! I printed it out. (I am a list maker too). I would have never thought to register with our USA embassy. Thanks! I am enjoying reading along. (It is concerning that all review posters thus far have written about how tired they get after SPB. We are going to have to pace ourselves I suppose).

IMHO, you posted a great "Coming down to the Wire checklist"! I printed it out. (I am a list maker too). I would have never thought to register with our USA embassy. Thanks! I am enjoying reading along. (It is concerning that all review posters thus far have written about how tired they get after SPB. We are going to have to pace ourselves I suppose).

Yes, try to pace yourself, IF that is possible.

Going in, we knew that this was not going to be a relaxing Caribbean cruise. We were fortunate enough to have cruised the Mediterranean a few years ago, and this was three times as exhausting.

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice on this topic, since we did run ourselves to exhaustion. However, we are NCL newbies, and wanted to do/see everything aboard ship -- maybe a few earlier nights would have been helpful.

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice on this topic, since we did run ourselves to exhaustion. However, we are NCL newbies, and wanted to do/see everything aboard ship

I think part of the problem is that you usually visit Tallinn right before St. Petersburg. Tallinn is gorgeous (and a surprise hit for most visitors) but because the Old Town doesn't allow cars, there can be a lot of walking. It's really pleasant and scenic walking, but that adds up on the day before St. Petersburg. I'd honestly recommend considering hiring a cab to take you to the top of Toompea Hill (you can walk up if you are physically fit, but everyone else should try to conserve their energy), and considering the use of either the pedicabs or surprisingly there is a stupid little tourist train that takes you around Tallinn which turned out to be quite pleasant. We rode this for our 3 year old son, and it turned out to be nice to be able to sit and watch as the streets go by. The train is open-air, so it doesn't feel like you are trapped in a bus.

In St. Petersburg, one thing to possibly consider depending upon your finances is arranging a private tour for just your family. This is much more expensive, but would allow you to maximize your time in St. Petersburg. We travelled with a 3 year old, so our tour guide knew to just show us the highlights - for example, we skipped quickly through the lesser rooms in Catherine's Palace and spend most of our time there in the first few rooms, and then the amber room.

There's some other suggestions in my review in the signature line about how to cut down on walking for families and travelers with disabilities, but I traveled to the Baltics 3 years ago so it isn't all up to date. But it's a wonderful cruise - especially for families - and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

I am reading with great interest! We leave in a week -- also going with our teens (16, 13) and tween (11) - and also going on Icelandair with a stopover in Iceland before heading to this exact same cruise departing July 27. I am enjoying your review so far & hope you will have a chance to write more before I embark on a nearly similar journey. If you have a chance, if you could write back your kids' top 5 teen/tween activities/experiences, I'd love to add those in for our kids.

I think part of the problem is that you usually visit Tallinn right before St. Petersburg. Tallinn is gorgeous (and a surprise hit for most visitors) but because the Old Town doesn't allow cars, there can be a lot of walking. It's really pleasant and scenic walking, but that adds up on the day before St. Petersburg. I'd honestly recommend considering hiring a cab to take you to the top of Toompea Hill (you can walk up if you are physically fit, but everyone else should try to conserve their energy), and considering the use of either the pedicabs or surprisingly there is a stupid little tourist train that takes you around Tallinn which turned out to be quite pleasant. We rode this for our 3 year old son, and it turned out to be nice to be able to sit and watch as the streets go by. The train is open-air, so it doesn't feel like you are trapped in a bus.

In St. Petersburg, one thing to possibly consider depending upon your finances is arranging a private tour for just your family. This is much more expensive, but would allow you to maximize your time in St. Petersburg. We travelled with a 3 year old, so our tour guide knew to just show us the highlights - for example, we skipped quickly through the lesser rooms in Catherine's Palace and spend most of our time there in the first few rooms, and then the amber room.

There's some other suggestions in my review in the signature line about how to cut down on walking for families and travelers with disabilities, but I traveled to the Baltics 3 years ago so it isn't all up to date. But it's a wonderful cruise - especially for families - and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. They will help the readers (as well as providing the link to your review - a lot of good information).

Because my daughters are a bit older (12 and 17), I was not really thinking about how to cut down on the physical activity (maybe I should have). I also participate in various events, so I did not think all the sightseeing would have affected me the way it did (in retrospect, maybe I should have cut down on the 4 mile run I took in Copenhagen the morning before our 8+ mile walking tour of the city).

On a related topic - Naps. I smiled when I read that word. I really miss when my kids had those -- I usually took a nap on weekends with them as well. Now it is the opposite - they stay out until midnight or 1 am, and instead of sleeping, you stay up until they get back to the cabin to make sure they are okay.

Thanks again,

Travel R

KitKat, do you recall how much the little train in Tallinn cost? I know it will be in euros. Was planning on walking the whole way but my poor daughter had to have an ingrown toenail surgically removed this week (yes, right before we fly to Copenhagen) and won't be able to walk as much. Or a taxi cost estimate to the top of the hill?

I am reading with great interest! We leave in a week -- also going with our teens (16, 13) and tween (11) - and also going on Icelandair with a stopover in Iceland before heading to this exact same cruise departing July 27. I am enjoying your review so far & hope you will have a chance to write more before I embark on a nearly similar journey. If you have a chance, if you could write back your kids' top 5 teen/tween activities/experiences, I'd love to add those in for our kids.

That is awesome. I have my day in Reykjavik mostly written, and will post it later this morning (with pics). I also hope to add our pre-cruise experiences in Copenhagen.

I am not working today, so I had the pleasure of going to breakfast with my DD17 this morning. We discussed the cruise, and I asked her specifically for feedback I could add to my review. Over the weekend I will provide a list of the top 5 (my DD12 is away with camp, so I will also get back her feedback as well). I will also provide my review of the kid's clubs this weekend as well. [And this part will be written in the first-person instead of this avant garde prose I have been using for the reviews themselves.]

On a quick note: both of my DDs enjoyed the cruise immensely. I will get into the specifics for the clubs and what my teen and tween liked/disliked as I write those sections.

OK I'll bite, what the heck is a tween?

I guess another synonym would be pre-teen.

It is the ages of about 11 to 12, where a kid wants all the things that teenagers have, but just aren't old enough to be a teenager themselves. Having two girls, my younger daughter wanting to do everything her older sister did, probably started tweening at 10.

GETTING TO REYKJAVIK

The life of a publisher is one of deadlines. Be it sickness, car issues,holidays, vacation, or even the stare of death, the deadline reigns supreme. Arranging to stay away from the office for two consecutive weeks is not an easy task in most businesses. Taking two consecutive weeks off in publishing is a rarity. In order to partake on this particular journey,I was needed to contribute until the day I was to bid farewell to my home town.To add to this, I had also put in a few hours over the prior weekend, and burn the midnight oil a few nights the week prior. My intention was to ensure that I could be absent a fortnight with a clear conscience without a worry that my publications would not suffer without my gentle caress. Although the intention was noble, it had begun a debit from my energy reserves even before the journey had begun.

The prior weekend was spent picking up last minute articles and getting everything ready for our upcoming departure. Our trunks were packed on Sunday evening, with only a few parcels still remaining to include, we were mostly ready for our travels on Monday. The air ship to the land of fire and ice was to leave at 8:30 from Newark Liberty International Airport. I had made arrangement with the local car service to pick us up at our home, and they arrived on time, as well as made great timing reaching the terminal. On many a journey I have always dreaded the unavoidable long wait on customs. To our surprise, we sped through ticketing,and the queue at customs was so minimal, it took us naught ten minutes to make it through the uniformed sentries to the other side.

I had chosen Iceland Air for our air-bound journey for both its supposed high marks in customer service and its stop-over policy for layovers at their home base. There is no charge for stop-over’s of seven nights or longer in Reykjavik, and we took full advantage of that fact. I too must provide my own accolades for their service. It is not just for providing a cold bottle of water upon entry through their portal, or providing my DD12 a bag of juvenile distractions and headphones, although she was over 11 years of age. It was not just for the stewardesses that seemed to actually care about the passengers, nor the decent assortment of videos and audios to enjoy during the flight. It was not for the constant solicitation of complimentary sodas, water, and juice during the flight. It was for their assistance in my big blunder. Yes, the sultan of scheduling,the professor of planning, the Oz of organization, had experienced a gaffe. I had inappropriately reserved the seats for my family, and during some legs of the flight we were not sitting together; not even in the same row. However, in working with the wonderful people at IcelandAir, they had resolved this issue, which evoked emotions of thanks and elation from myself and the family. My winged loyalty now belongs to this company for my future travel in the skies.

Although my family slept for a majority of the flight, if I received 45 minutes of shut-eye during the six hour flight, that would be an exaggeration. But being awake allowed me the chance to observe a glistening white glacier working its way between dark mountain peaks, as we passed over the southern tip of Norway. After awaking at close to 4:30 AM (much) earlier that morning, there was little sleep before the first leg of our journey came to an end.

Next Up: 24 Hours in Iceland

24 HOURS IN ICELAND: PART I

TheArrival

The vast and open terrain lay before us as we touched down upon the land of the ancient seafaring Vikings. A shuttle lay in wait for us as we made our way off the tarmac. It took only a moment after exiting our flying coach, to understand why they named this island Iceland. A sheet of cold rain and hail, shoved by the strong cool winds, pelted our faces and bodies. It immediately became clear that the sweatshirt I was wearing over my short-sleeve shirt was no protection against the Icelandic elements.

The dark, gloomy, and rainy airport that awaited us. But wait, is that sun I see trying to break through?

enhance

The tarmac shuttle bus

enhance

The time was just slightly past the hour of six, which corresponded to two before midday (ante meridiem), from whence we came. With but only forty-five minutes of restless sleep, I was about to traverse the Golden Circle in a country I have never set foot. It was the excitement and anticipation of the awaiting adventure that brought upon a wave of energy for me to start the new day with gusto. The car vendor chosen for our journey was Dollar. They came highly recommended by most [there were many that were scorned by reviewers]. Their biggest fault was that they did not have a desk at the terminal itself. So our first quest was to obtain our luggage, then find the shuttle bus to take us to the rental facility. Although not exactly conspicuous, we found our way to the luggage carousel, then to the shuttle (and took point in leading another family also in search of the same point of termination. Said shuttle took about 15 minutes to arrive, and then a subsequent traverse of another five minutes to reach our destination. [Note: It was not far. One could walk the distance in about 7-10 minutes, if they so dared.]

The staff was friendly and attentive, although interestingly,did not provide us with a map or even ask us if we knew how to get to where we were driving. We did, however, purchase the optional guidance devise. It was an older version of the Garmin we were familiar with. However, the device did not include some of the newer features, and it did not recognize many of the geographical points we were entering – using both the English and Icelandic characters. Although I had mapped out the route via Google prior to departure, the device led us upon different roads. At first I did not care, since after we had left most traces of civilization I was driving upon a road of surreal beauty. It is hard to truly describe the experience if one had never seen the place before themselves. However, the vision I would express is that of one driving upon a Martian landscape. In fact, Iceland was used as one of the locations for the film Interstellar, and The Force Awakens. But this untamed, and unique wilderness, was also featured in many other films,including: Batman Begins, Thor: Dark World, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider; Oblivion, and Prometheus, to name a few. It has also been host to a number of TV shows, including a little known program that goes by the name . . . . Game of Thrones

The Drive: A GoldenCircle, Mostly

Most maps providing directions around the Golden Circle would take the adventurers up into Reykjavik proper, then around the circle, either starting north via Route 36 or the southerly path via Route 1. Our GPS had a mind of its own and guided us immediately to the East, hugging the coast through some beautiful terrain of small hills, outcrops of geologically formed creggs and craters, and volcanic fields – usually within sight of the great Atlantic Ocean to our right. Although each mile brought an ongoing display of beauty around each turn, it also seemed to have placed us in a strange location,directing us to turn left at the “unnamed dirt road.” I was very tempted. The terrain looked very intense, going up through some hills at a fairly steep angle on an unpaved road – and I believe the 4x4 we rented would have been able to handle it. If I had been without my family, I probably would have seen where this unknown adventure would have led me. However, using the map I had squandered while in the airport, and calling upon the use of my Boy Scout map skills, I had determined out coordinates, and was able to navigate us to our first stop of the day, Kerið Crater Lake.

Road to Nowhere, Iceland

enhance

After another forty minutes travelling through this off-worldly landscape, we had finally arrived at Kerið, an inactive volcano. It once had a classic-looking cone shape, but had since collapsed many a year ago. The bottom is now a small lake with crystal blue waters. We paid the fee of 400 kroner pp (over age 12) to take the walk down to its bottom. The decent only took about five minutes, but it was all on uneven ground, as the stairs were being constructed alongside the dirt path we had hiked. It was a pleasant respite for a few photographs and an opportunity to stretch our legs, but none of us were really wowed by the experience. [be forewarned – there are no restrooms at this facility. If Mother Nature is a callin’ then find a rest stop before arriving.] Now onto our next place of interest.

Crater Lake

enhance

[Note, although we did not make our way to the town of Reykholton this journey, some may be interested in stopping there. The town has a thermal springs complex, as well as being the home to the Snorrastofa Icelandic Cultural Museum.]

While the changes to the scenery were many times subtle, with mostly the same few colors exuded from the ground and hills. However,as we trek further north, the expanse begins to open up to exhibit snow-capped mountains in the distance, providing some basis for the name of this land. It was cold enough, but where was the “ice” in the Land of Fire and Ice?

A Nice Study Shot . . . . Land of Fire and Ice

enhance

Next were to experience some of the island’s fire at the place where the word geyser was originated. In Hafnartún, after a short visit to the lair of the tourist trap, which included a visitor center, gift shop, and eatery, we walked across the street to the geothermal area that is famous for two geysers (although one had stopped erupting a few years ago due to an earthquake). Walking towards the mist of smoke with the smell of rotting eggs in the air (caused by the sulfur), we received our first sight of Geysirspewing boiling hot water into the air. [This is the fifth highest in the world, the oldest is in Yellowstone Park.] We walked across a hot spring to get into position to take our photographs. We then heard the hissing,steadied our cameras, then were underwhelmed with the height of the water that left the hole in the ground. I said, take heart, and get ready again. A few minutes later, we again heard the hissing, and the boiling water and steam once again spewed forth into the heavens – but this time must have almost reached close to its apex of almost 200 hundred feet. We had all received great photos, and were happy to move onto our next place of interest.

She's A Blown Her Top

enhance

As we started to drive towards our next stop, another amazing site was awaiting us. Beyond, or really between two peaks capped in white, was a gleaming cream-colored mass. Although we did spy one from the skies above Norway, this was but a mere few miles away. If time could be stopped or slowed, visiting the glacier would have been the next thing on our schedule. However, with the clock limiting us to a mere 24 hours to experience this country, the notion of climbing a glacier had to be melted away from our thoughts. To put out some of the flames of my adventuring spirit, there was a small dirt road between the geyser and our next stop. Although nothing even remotely dangerous, it at least allowed me to go “off the road” for a few feet. [Note: there were a number of road construction vehicles on the side of the road. I believe that this last piece of unpaved road of the Golden Circle will be but a distant memory.]

I have seen some wondrous waterfalls in my day, including the majestic Niagara Falls (I have walked behind them, taken a boat into them, and taken a helicopter over them), but I was still impressed with Gullfoss Falls. Not nearly as large as the aforementioned Niagara [my Brooklyn upbringing had taught me to pronounce it without the middle “a” – so to me they have always been “Niagra Falls.”], it was still a wonderful sight. The walk down to the falls themselves is also exhilarating. You first set eyes upon the power of the water as you step atop the stairs leading down to the chasm cut out of the rock over the eons. But even before you can see water, you can already hear the power of the water as it crashed down to unseen places below. As you get closer, the stairs turn into a dirt/stone floor that cuts its way along the side and closer to the mouth of the falls. You can begin to breathe in the mist from the moisture a sit swirls outward from its breaking upon the rocks below. As you creep closer to falls, you begin to get wet as the moisture begins to soak your body. You begin to notice those that had already been at the mouth of the falls are wet – some lucky enough to have worn protective garments against the water,but others that had come without such foresight. At this point you can really hear the rumble of the water – a heavy baritone that overrides your senses. Then you climb a little further atop unstable footing that was never meant by nature to be a perch. You are then face to face with the breaking point of the power of the falls. You look it dead in the eye knowing that it has the power to destroy, but you just smile, and take a selfie, knowing full well that you are just a mere person standing next to the immense power and majesty that is nature.

The Falls

enhance

One very vivid memory I have of visiting this site is that after assisting my family down some of the rocks while leaving the falls, there was a party of elderly travelers just behind them. Although our spoken languages were far from the same, the unspoken language of the body was evident. So, as a gallant knight would do, in the name of chivalry,I help the quartet down to safer ground. As fortune would have it,another elderly couple had come upon the top of this unnatural path downward as well, and to not leave them stranded, I had also helped them down to safe passage. As I had done all of this, I took a quick look at my beautiful wife,who looked upon me with a smile and a gleam in her eye, which I took to mean as“that’s my husband, I am so proud.” [she could have also just had something in her eye. I’ve long given up trying to figure out what a spouse is thinking.]

Don't Fall In

enhance

I just discovered that you may only have six photos in a post, so I had to cut one out. I had included a study shot that was provided more to show the contrast of the scenery than to help along the study.

However, I would like to include that photo. So before I go on with my story, here is the removed study shot . . .

enhance

And one more for good measure . . .

enhance

Ain't this just like a bonus director's cut?

Filling Up the Tanks

The clock was ticking towards the noon hour, and the gas tanks of both the automobile upon which we took transport and our own bodies were plummeting towards E. Out next mission was to find sustenance for our engines. We came upon a small grocery-like store off the side of the road, which also had upon its grounds, a gas pump. [Tip: Gas stations were not plentiful outside of the city, so fill-up when you can, and don’t let the gauge go below half-full.] I pumped the petro into the car while the ladies of our group went to freshen up. Just like everything else in this cold rotunda, the exorbitant price of gas was no exception. If my calculations were correct, and converting both the kroner to dollars and liters to gallons, I believe I dished out seven dollars a gallon.

While I went in to the store to freshen up myself, one of the clerks was putting out fresh bread onto their shelves. The look and smell of the fresh bread caught my attention, as well as that of my darling wife. As soon as I suggested we take this opportunity to purchase some bread and make sandwiches for lunch, she quickly acquiesced (she was hungry, and also considered that this was probably the cheapest meal we could purchase on this island). I am not sure if it was because we were so hungry, or it was because the bread was truly that good – but we all enjoyed this simple meal. Having filled up our tanks, the journey progressed.

The Northern Way Back

We have come to the most distant stop on our morning’s adventure. Only two more stops until we arrive at the world’s most northern capital, Reykjavik. One of the largest attractions and tourist traps in this country is a large thermal spa that goes by the name of the “Blue Lagoon.” The skinny on this place from all of the reviews I have read is that it is a beautiful place, very expensive, and it not where the locals actually go themselves. However, even if we wanted to go,time was again our nemesis and we would not be able to fit into this visit. With the power of the Internet, I found another thermal spa,albeit much smaller, but it was on the Golden Circle. The name of the place is the LaugarvatnFontana Geothermal Baths (in a town, a small town at that, of the same name). We took a visit, and used their facilities, but our band of travelers decided that they just did not want to get wet, then go back out into the cold air, which I believe had already reached its high of 52 degrees(Fahrenheit). I was not going to go in anyway, but could have stayed in their café area drinking overpriced coffee. [FYI - $38 per person; 12 and under do not accrue a charge. They also have rest rooms.]

On The Road Again

enhance

enhance

Our last stop on this road trip was at a place I had long wanted to visit, Þingvellir National Park. Although the historical significance of the area is very interesting (Iceland’s first Parliament first met here in 930 AD), it was the place itself that was the attraction. It is the only place in the world, where you can see the splitting place of the tectonic plates of both Europe and North America above ground. Think of it in the metaphorical sense, we had a foot on two different continents at the same time. [Note: There is an all-day 1 time charge for parking of 500 kroner. It can be purchased at the electronic kiosks.There is also a small, yet hectic, information building in this area, and also contains a small café and restrooms.]

Continental Divide

enhance

enhance

Although the bread from lunch had held off pangs of hunger for a while, our Golden Circle trek had already eaten up seven, plus, hours of the day. We were all tired, and hungry and although the beauty of the country was still abound, our will power for sightseeing was quickly waning. We made a decision that instead of going to the hotel first, we would go directly to the restaurant, which was located within the city of Reykjavik.

This is Iceland

enhance

[Note 1: Although I thought the terrain was amazing, my daughters, sitting in the back seat for all of these hours did get bored with the scenery after a while. Parents, make sure you have stuff to keep them busy during the ride around.

Note 2: Iceland is very, very expensive. There was an economic collapse about 8 years ago, and they never fully recovered. Did I mention that it is expensive. I had everyone pack plenty of snacks and protein bars, etc. since I knew that a quick breakfast or lunch could easily cost $50, so to conserve on cash, we had packed the extra food and snacks. The bread and pastries at the gas station were not cheap (in comparison to the US), but it fed my clan of four for under $20).[all monetary figures are for US dollars]. Did I mention that Iceland is expensive?

Note 3: I had printed out some brief information about each location we had visited, so about 10 minutes before we arrived at each destination, someone read the info sheet aloud. This way I was able to provide some context to what we would be experiencing. It was also enjoyable knowing that the kids know their stuff, so when I asked what tectonic plates were, they were able to provide an answer that showed at least some understanding of the subject matter.

Note 4. Icelanders do not love tourists. There have been a number of problems with drunk tourists causing fights, and disrespectful tourists littering and defacing natural landmarks. Although most of you would not do such things, remember to respect any country you visit. In the Scouts, when we camped, we used to heed the words, leave the place as good, or better than when you arrived. The same should be followed for all travel. I'll get back down off my box. Nuff' said.]

Next Up: 24 Hours in Iceland: Part II

Addendum: In many of these pictures you can see clouds and some blue sky. It rained on and off most of the morning between bouts of sun. Luckily it did not pour during our stay, but it was cold. I believe the temperature did not rise above 53 degrees F during out stay in Iceland.

Note: All of these photos were taken with a simple hand-held Panasonic Lumix camera without use of any of the filters or changes to exposure/aperature speeds - I left everything on auto. I took the pictures to obtain a quick snapshot of the places for memory (although I have heard the proposition that taking a photo helps to erase memories). I hope they evoke at least a glimmer of what we had experienced.

One more note - The unpaved roads in Iceland are known as the F1 roads. If you rent a car, it is suggested that you rent ones that are approved for F1 driving, such as a 4x4. Also note there are all types of additional insurance (gravel, under-body, windshield, etc.). Do your research into any types of travel insurance that you might already have to see if these are covered instead of paying the additional expenses.

Edited by Travel R

Hi all!

Travel R ~ really enjoying your account of your trip. I too flew Icelandair so I could stop over for 2 nights on my way home.

I get the feeling you felt like I did, it was lovely but some things weren't what was expected. I've seen Niagara Falls several times since I live in Ontario & have also been to Yellowstone so saw those amazing hot pots & Old Faithful so the things I saw in Iceland were a bit underwhelming to me.:o Same that divide, I thought you could put one leg on one side & the other on the other continent but that wasn't so. Don't get me wrong I really liked the Golden Circle tour which travelling solo, I did with Geo Island Tour, & thought Reykjavik interesting but probably would only visit again as a cruise port since it's so expensive.

I wish I had stayed another day so I could have seen the south shore but knew this trip was going to be very expensive.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. Thanks.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

Travel R ~ really enjoying your account of your trip. I too flew Icelandair so I could stop over for 2 nights on my way home.

I get the feeling you felt like I did, it was lovely but some things weren't what was expected. I've seen Niagara Falls several times since I live in Ontario & have also been to Yellowstone so saw those amazing hot pots & Old Faithful so the things I saw in Iceland were a bit underwhelming to me.:o Same that divide, I thought you could put one leg on one side & the other on the other continent but that wasn't so. Don't get me wrong I really liked the Golden Circle tour which travelling solo, I did with Geo Island Tour, & thought Reykjavik interesting but probably would only visit again as a cruise port since it's so expensive.

I wish I had stayed another day so I could have seen the south shore but knew this trip was going to be very expensive.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. Thanks.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks.

There really is no comparison between the two falls. However, the one in Iceland is not built up into a complete tourist trap (at least not yet).

The one thing I would differ from you is that when we went to see Old Faithful, we were not impressed. With all of the hype and everything I had ever read about it, I was expecting a huge spout of water and steam rising hundreds, if not thousands, of feet. It was nice to see, but not as majestic as we had hopped for. If you want to avoid the feeling of disappointment when visiting a historic site, avoid seeing Plymouth Rock. Although the town is amazing and some of the sites are top notch (Mayflower replica, Plimoth Plantation, museums, etc.) - the enormity of the rock does not hold itself up against its hype. [Family vacation idea: We once spent Thanksgiving weekend (from Wed to Sunday) at Plymouth - it was one one of our most memorable family vacations.]

Thanks again,

Travel R

24 HOURS IN ICELAND: PART II

enhance

All the day, many miles passed between seeing signs of civilization, or even passing another vehicle. As we approached the streets of Reykjavik,that all changed. We began to see buildings, cars, buses, and even people. It was a huge contrast to most of the day, when any signs of life were only fleeting.

It was already half past the hour of four when we came upon a parking spot not far from the venue chosen for the evening’s vittles. Finding a restaurant in Reykjavik that was not overly expensive and would be enjoyed by all (remember, I have a teen and tween to also feed) was not an easy task. In my search I had come across a restaurant that served both Icelandic fare along with an American menu. Although these brave warriors may laugh in the face of adventure, their thrill for exotic sustenance is lacking.

enhance

The name of this eatery was Salon Bistro, located in the heart of the city. It was easy to locate (once again,the GPS was a waste) using a map, and our parking spot was only two blocks away. Although we were near several tourist spots, my famished group made our way steadily to our destination.

We were seated quickly (it was not very busy at that hour), and provided with our menus. The staff was very friendly, and the food came out fairly quickly. I am not sure if it was because we were all so very hungry, but we all enjoyed our food. I,with the more adventurous palette went with the minke whale, which was nicely seasoned with a very good salad (which everyone tasted). My older daughter ordered soup and chicken wings. The soup was delicious (although not thick enough for my liking) and the wings were decent. Burgers were chosen by the other two members of our table, and both said that they were delicious. At the end of the meal I paid the bill, and I do not really want to think about it, but that simple meal, with sodas, amounted to the equivalent of a Franklin and a Grant. For those not studied on the American monetary denominations, Benjamin Franklin graces the $100 bill, and Ulysses S. Grant is honored on the $50. [FYI – It is not customary to tip the waiter in Iceland, but I did round up the bill.]

enhance

The restaurant is located at the top of Laugavegur Street, which is their main strip of shopping and dining. Since we were already there, we walked out of the restaurant to browse the shops and see the streets of Reykjavik. Although we saw the Leif Ericson statue, and the Hallgrímskirkja (a large church, and tallest structure in Iceland), the most fascinating thing for me was the street art. The land is rough, the weather cold, the people stolid, but it is through their art,especially the images drawn on the side of the buildings that provide a glimpse past the tough exterior and into a magical and colorful world of imagination and wonder.

enhance

enhance

enhance

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls. And tenement halls." [simon and Garfunkel] And maybe also painted on the sides of buildings.

Next Up: Off To Copenhagen

Edited by Travel R

Our exploration of the down did not last very long. The earlier evening’s flight, and the long journey of the day weighed heavily upon us. We located our car and found our way to the evening’s lodging. The hotel was the highest rated for the price we could afford. It was located towards the edge of town, and as we approached, I recalled the results of a Google inquiry I had performed, “Does Reykjavik have a bad area.” The results assured me that the entire city was safe, and I tried to assure myself of this as well as the buildings were more run down, and signs for out of business shops seemed to be more abound. However,about a block from the hotel, I did notice a small convenience-like store that sold ice cream, and I committed the location to memory, since it seemed like a less expensive alternative to snacks and beverages.

enhance

enhance

We arrived at the Brim Hotel,also known as the Reykjavik Hotel Center. There was a fair amount of parking on the street outside, and we obtained a spot directly in front of the entrance. Upon entering, it seemed small (as expected), and after checking in, we had to unexpectedly have to bring our bags up four flights of stairs. It was then that I had remembered that, although not on the continent,we were in Europe where walk-ups and small rooms were the norm. The accommodations of the room were scant to say the least. The room was no bigger than 8 foot square, with a 3x3 foot bathroom, and one large window over the two twin beds. There was also a double-level bunk bed. This room also contained a very small table with two drawers. To complete the accouterments was body wash, a bar of soap, and two towels in the water closet. But I did forget to add that each floor contains a lounge section with couches and a machine for hot water and to make coffee. At least they supplied full beans with a machine to crush them to be used for brewing – however, our room was in close proximity, and we could hear the sound of beans being crushed throughout the evening. The room received its heat from pipes along the wall,but the air in the room was stale, and the temperature was warm. We kept the window ajar for the evening, which let in some of the cool Icelandic air, and luckily it opened onto a quiet street, so not much noise wound its way up to our evening’s abode. I do not mean to sound so rough. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, it was one of the least expensive options anywhere near the city itself, and we had the use of our own private bathroom.

enhance

We took the opportunity to get a little bit of rest after settling in to our new quarters. I had intended to just close my eyes for a few minutes, but the minutes were magically converted to an hour and a half.Upon arising, my daughter and DW were awake, and were a little hungry and thirsty.Remembering the store around the corner, I offered to take a walk with the youth of our family to get some pop and perhaps a little bit of ice cream. [Note: I do not remember the name of the store, but it is on Laugavegur, to the west of Noatun and did have soda,snacks, ice cream, and some made-to-order hot food platters and sandwiches for around $12 US.] My daughter was delighted by the acquisition of her favorite food, and has naught an issue consuming this frozen treat, even in 50 degree weather.

enhance

I do not remember the time at which we partook in our stroll, but the sun was shining as though it were still in the middle of the day. White Nightsthey call it. This reminds me of the wonderful movie starring Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines, the 1980’s version of the more recent Bridge of Spies. [OK,maybe not exactly the same – but they both have a dramatic scene where prisoners are exchanged; and the Russians are involved – but they are both very good movies.] Upon returning to the room, the day’s wear upon me, I decided to take a shower. [Note: If you take a shower or wash your hands, you might notice a smell coming from the water. It is from the sulfur from the natural water on the island. But have no worry, you will not smell of it after taking a shower.] After cleansing myself, I dressed for bed and laid myself on the mattress. The curtains were closed to keep out the 10 o’clock sun, but still allowed for a sliver to be opened so that the air may freely enter the room.Between my mind racing, the small amount of luminosity in the room, and the time difference (as well as my earlier “nap”), I only slept about three hours that evening. I stayed away listening to the distant noises of an occasional car passing by.

Notes on Iceland

• It was a beautiful island, at least from what we saw. Although I enjoyed driving through the landscape, my daughters did get a little bored.
  • Overall, my teen and tween daughters did enjoy their visit (and enjoyed the sites when we arrived), however, travelling the Golden Circle did become a bit too long for them (especially after a long overnight flight), and they were too tired by the end of the day to really enjoy the city itself.
  • Reykjavik, or the city center of it, is not too large, so if you had the time, it looks pretty easy to navigate and to walk around to see all of the sights.
  • I think three days would be the optimal way to visit this area. One day driving the Golden Circle, with maybe a slight detour here or there. One day walking around and exploring the city of Reykjavik (and visiting some museums) with a visit to the Blue Lagoon. And one day taking a tour to the glaciers and the elevator that takes you deep within the inside of a volcano.
  • Would I ever return? I am not sure. Although I enjoyed my brief stay, and due to the cost factor, and there are a great number of other destinations on my bucket list, now that I have been here, it may be a while until I return. If the costs came down (a lot), I would not mind doing a stopover here again.
  • My one regret is that we did not get to see the Sun Voyager monument

Next Up: Getting to Copenhagen

Edited by Travel R