Cruising the Baltics with a Teen and Tween on the Getaway; A Review

Travel R

You've mentioned seeing glaciers from the plane over Norway a couple of times. Did you mean Greenland? Or was it on a previous trip?

Great report btw. I'm off on the Getaway in 3 days time so the excitement is building. You're putting in a lot of time and effort, thank you.

You've mentioned seeing glaciers from the plane over Norway a couple of times. Did you mean Greenland? Or was it on a previous trip?

Great report btw. I'm off on the Getaway in 3 days time so the excitement is building. You're putting in a lot of time and effort, thank you.

On the flight from Iceland to Copenhagen we saw a glacier when flying over Norway. Our flight took us south of Greenland. [You can track your position on the monitors.] On the flight from Iceland to the US, we passed over the southern end of Greenland and everything was covered in white - it was beautiful.

I did not get a good picture over Norway, but I will be posting one or two pics I took through the airplane's window of Greenland. Note - I was sitting near the window facing south and most of my pictures were of the mountains/hills with a lot of snow framed by the water beyond. My daughter's pictures from the north side of the plane showed vast fields of snow and ice besides the snow capped/filled mountain range. I'll try to get a copy of one of her pictures for a comparison of the two views.

I am trying to get out the rest of the review as soon as I can, but if you have any questions, please let me know and I will try to answer it. You will have a fantastic time.

OVER PLANNER AND LIST MAKER

It is not that I am very structured. It is that I like to have a plan set and do my research so that if we need to deviate from the plan, I can do so instantaneously. I am not the person that likes to stand around for a half an hour (or more) trying to figure out what to do next when things don't go according to plan - that is wasted time, especially on a journey like this where there is so much to see and do. My family, however, are not planners. They count on me to do the research and the scheduling. It works out very well, especially in a family unit. I worry about the where and when, and my DW worries about all the more important little things, like looking after myself and my daughters, such as making sure we have enough socks, or travel sized toothpaste.

In being the planner, I actually created a whole itinerary for my family. I will begin to provide a copy of this itinerary before each day's events (although this first one will be obviously be post-excursion). I had send them the itinerary in electronic format because I tried to link many of the attractions I had listed to their website or information about them.

You will notice that there are a lot more attractions listed than we had actually visited. To me, the beauty of planning is that it allows me to be flexible.

Reykjavik(Tue 6/27 – Wed 6/28)

Reykjavik - Reykjavík(/ˈreɪkjəvɪk, -viːk/ rayk-yə-vik, rayk-yə-veek; Icelandic: [ˈreiːcaˌviːk] is the capital and largest city of Iceland. It is the world's northernmost capital of a sovereign state. It is located in southwestern Iceland, on the southern shore of Faxa Bay. With a population of around 123 300 (and over 216 940 in the Capital Region), it is the heart of Iceland's cultural, economic and governmental activity.

Reykjavík is believed to be the location of the first permanent settlement in Iceland, which, according to Ingólfur Arnarson, was established in AD 874. Until the 19th century, there was no urban development in the city location. The city was founded in 1786 as an official trading town and grew steadily over the next decades, as it transformed into a regional and later national centre of commerce, population, and governmental activities. It is among the cleanest, greenest, and safest cities in the world.

Day’s Summary: After awakening in Reykjavik after our flight from the U.S., we will get the rental car and see the amazing natural sights of Iceland (the famed Golden Circle). In the afternoon, we will check into our hotel, then explore the town itself, maybe a museum, and enjoy an authentic Icelandic dinner.

Tuesday Morning (6/27)

·6:15 Arrive at Airport

·6:30/7:00 Rent Car

·Travel the Golden Circle (see below for more info)

Route for the Golden Circle

[screen shot from Google Maps]

Golden Circle Highlights

Keflavik International Airport

Kerið, Iceland

·Kerid Crater Lake. Once a typical cone-shaped volcano, the top has since collapsed into an empty magma chamber.

·The bottom is filled with a deep blue shade of water that sets off the red & green colors on the crater itself. Hiking down to the bottom of the crater only takes 5 minutes.

·Not as well known as the other attractions featured here, Kerid Crater is definitely worth a quick stop if you have the time.

Reykholt

·Small town on the Golden Cirle. There is the Deildartunguhver Thermal Springs, which we may be able to see (without going in, or paying)

·Snorrastofa Icelandic cultural museum.

Gullfoss Falls

·The mighty Hvítáriver abruptly disappears into a ravine at a spectacular waterfall called Gullfoss, the next major highlight on Iceland’s Golden Circle. This wide &fast moving river turns a corner and falls 100 feet into a crevice in the earth, producing thick mist & frequent rainbows.

·After descending a long staircase from the parking lot, a concrete pathway allows visitors to walk along the edge and look down into the roaring cascade of water. The area around the falls gets pretty windy, so a waterproof jacket (and maybe even pants) is recommended if you plan to get close. The dramatic scenery at Gullfoss makes it one of Iceland’s most popular attractions.

·Gullfoss waterfall is located off the main road, so you have to backtrack a bit to continue on the Golden Circle route. There is a road that continues past, but it’s one of Iceland’s notorious F-roads that requires four-wheel drive.

StrokkurGeysir, Hafnartún, Selfoss, Iceland

·Haukadalur is a geothermal area. There are two famous geysers here called Geysir and Strokkur.In fact the general term “geyser” was named after this particular one in Iceland.

·The Earth churns up boiling hot water that smells like rotten eggs, with steam rising from vents in the earth next to mud pools, fumaroles, and mineral deposits.

·The original Geysirno longer erupts after an earthquake shut it down, but a second one called Strokkur constantly explodes with scalding water shooting 100 feet into the air every 10 minutes or so. Haukadalur has a gift shop & restaurant where you can warm up with hot soup.

Laugarvatn

·Small town on Golden Circle. Contains the Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths (much cheaper than Blue Lagoon, but still are commended experience) [$38/pp – 12 & under is free & I emailed them and I can hangout and just have a coffee w/ no admission fee]

Þingvellir National Park, Iceland

·Thingvellir National Park is the location of Iceland’s first Parliament, started back in 930 AD. At the Lögberg people could step forward and give speeches about important matters. An assembly of 48 chieftains gathered here to discuss laws& engage in court proceedings on behalf of the country’s citizens.

·This is also where the North American & Eurasian tectonic plates are slowly splitting apart from each other, creating deep fissures in the ground. One of these,called Silfra, is full of icy glacier water where some people go snorkeling or scuba diving.

Tuesday (late) Afternoon & Evening (6/27)

·Check into Brim Hotel / Reykjavik Hotel Center

oReykjavík Hotel Center, Skipholt 27, 105Reykjavík, Iceland

·Explore Reykjavik

§Hallgrimskirkja(Church -outside) [Hallgrímstorg 101, 101 Reykjavík]

§National Museum ofIceland [suðurgata 41, Reykjavík]

§Culture House (time pending) [Hverfisgata 15, Reykjavík] (included in cost of Nat’l Museum)

§Dinner at SolonBistro [bankastræti 7a, 101 Reykjavík] (Review)

·Islenski Barinn - http://islenskibarinn.is/net/matur/

§HarpaConcert Hall (from outside) [Austurbakki 2, 101 Reykjavík]

§Sun Voyager(sculpture) [sólfarið 101 Reykjavík]

§Laugavegur Street(where the shopping & night life is happening

§Back to Hotel

·Note: may do a drive by of Sun Voyager & Harpa earlier in day

Walk in Reykjavik

[screen shot from Google Maps]

Wednesday Early (very early) Morning (6/28)

·Drive back to airport / Return Car

·Breakfast in airport

·Board plane (8:15 AM)

Following your review with great interest!

About Iceland ... we have been there several times and found it is best to stopover on the way from Europe to North America - westbound, rather than eastbound as sightseeing after the red eye flights is a soul killer!

By the way, the "free" stopover is up to 7 days, not over 7 days.

We stayed in Hotel Cabin which is a very good value and has own car parking.

Each day we spent in Iceland is spent driving to and around different areas. We did the Golden Circle one day and went to Blue Lagoon for a swim and dinner (yes, pricy but worth the visit AND the swim). Another day we drove the south - one favourite spot is the Seltun Geothermal area - really bursting and smelly and interesting. We flew to Westmann Island for the day.

We like flying with Icelandair a lot and pay good prices. In May this year we flew from JFK to Iceland to LHR and then from Glasgow to Iceland to Toronto!

Hopefully you would reconsider returning to Iceland one day - westbound. Icelandair can take you to any place within Europe via Iceland.

We're taking the Getaway back to this side of pond in October and it's the Norwegian Air for us - direct non-stop from JFK to CPH.

Following your review with great interest!

About Iceland ... we have been there several times and found it is best to stopover on the way from Europe to North America - westbound, rather than eastbound as sightseeing after the red eye flights is a soul killer!

By the way, the "free" stopover is up to 7 days, not over 7 days.

We stayed in Hotel Cabin which is a very good value and has own car parking.

Each day we spent in Iceland is spent driving to and around different areas. We did the Golden Circle one day and went to Blue Lagoon for a swim and dinner (yes, pricy but worth the visit AND the swim). Another day we drove the south - one favourite spot is the Seltun Geothermal area - really bursting and smelly and interesting. We flew to Westmann Island for the day.

We like flying with Icelandair a lot and pay good prices. In May this year we flew from JFK to Iceland to LHR and then from Glasgow to Iceland to Toronto!

Hopefully you would reconsider returning to Iceland one day - westbound. Icelandair can take you to any place within Europe via Iceland.

We're taking the Getaway back to this side of pond in October and it's the Norwegian Air for us - direct non-stop from JFK to CPH.

I guess I chose the red eye, since that was the earliest flight we could take due to my work schedule. In my mind, the theory was that by stopping off in Iceland, with a four hour time difference, it would negate the effect of the time warp (jet lag) on our bodies before going 6, then 7 hours off our usual time zone. [However, the fact that I did not sleep much rendered my intentions his rather moot.]

I will most definitely be using IcelandAir again in my future travels - I did enjoy their service, and would also recommend them to others.

I would not avoid Iceland in any of our future trips, but now having been there, it is not one of the destinations I would specifically travel to as our destination.

Westmann Island sound like it must have been a fantastic trip!

If I had the time, I would have liked to B2B the TA with this itinerary, but we only get so much vacation time, and it would not work out with the kid's school schedules.

Thank you for the correction, I did mis-write -- the free stopover is for 7 days or less.

ON OUR WAY TO THE FORUM. I MEAN - GETTING TO COPENHAGEN

The rays of the morning sun had touched our window sill an hour or two before the alarm sounded at 5. The abrupt sound did not waken me, for I was already laying in bed thinking about the days ahead. This was going to be a day of travel, and hopefully an evening of leisure. Our flight was to take off at 8:30, so we proceeded to get up (including a bit of nudging to our kids), get dressed, pack up, then drive back to the airport.

[if you are keeping track at home, only 5 ½ total hours of sleep I have had since 4:30 in the AM on Monday.]

We had not seen the Sun Voyager statue the evening before, and I would have liked to take a quick glance before we exit the country. However, the GPS did not want to cooperate, and due to time constraints (getting to the airport early on international flights), I had to forego that sortie, and begin driving to the Keflavik airport. Of course we had not learned our lesson, and followed the directions of the GPS, which got us lost. After pulling off the road, and using maps, we were able to finally find our way – later than intended, but we had arrived.

Checking out at the car service rental was fairly quick. However, we had just missed a shuttle to the terminals when we arrived, and we waited almost a full 20 minutes until the next one had pulled up. [Note: it is possible to walk to the terminals, and they are only about a 5-7 minutes’ walk.] We sauntered through customs fairly quickly, but the officers stopped my DW and both my daughters – giving them all tests for munition residue, and searched through their bags. Luckily, they were cleared and allowed to go on. We then proceeded to our gate passing through the area of commercialization– where duty free items were sold and food could be purchased.We were hungry (our protein bars could only do so much), so we purchases some pre-packaged sandwiches and drinks, and found a table near our departing gate. My bacon and egg salad sandwich leaved a lotto be desired, as was my DW’s salmon sandwich. The girls had a tuna sandwich,which was at least semi-decent.

enhance

The flight was uneventful, and spent the time watching the television monitor, since I could not get myself to fall asleep. The highlight of the flight was seeing a glacier over Norway.After landing we made our way through passport control, then retrieved our luggage, and made our way towards the trains.

enhance

Just before the station are a number of ticket kiosks. Although they seemed easy enough to use, I could not figure out how to receive a discount ticket for my daughter (why pay full price, when I can save a few euros?). There were people there to help all of us tourists – and a young lady helped me out and told me to head to track #2. [Tip: Although we made it onto the train without issue, knowing what stop to get off at would be difficult if you did not make yourself familiar with the names of the stations. Although we wanted to get off what most people, books, and the Internet, refer to as Central Station, those words do not appear on their train/metro maps. To get off at Central Station, you would need to go three stops to Kofenhagen H.] Although I knew where I was going, to qualm the fears of my DW, I tried to ask a woman whom was working on the train – and she completely ignored me. However, a friendly fellow passenger on the train did confirm that we were headed to the correct station stop.

While Reykjavik is a very expensive city, to say the least, Copenhagen is still listed as one of the most expensive cities in Europe. Finding an affordable room for a family of four was not an easy task. I wanted to find lodging that was at least semi-decent, but was also in a good location within walking distance to all of the main attractions. After much research, the option I chose (which had availability), was the Nebo Hotel. It is located less than a block behind Central Station, which is close many of the attractions of the city, and was affordable. The rooms were not cheap, but the location was more than desirable. The check-in staff was very nice, the hotel had a lift so we did not have to take our bags up five flights of stairs, and the room was a lot larger than I had expected. It was more like two adjoining rooms, with large beds at each end, with a Television, chairs, tables, ornate moldings around the room, and drapes overlarge French windows. It was a lovely European style room, but something was missing. For the next few days we were to share a bathroom with the remainder of the people staying on our floor. However, it was kept clean, and to tell you the truth, it really did not bother us – and the two water closets seemed to be rarely used by others.

The Intended Itinerary had us “chillin’ out on Stroget” for the evening.

Note that I have included instructions for getting to the train station from your gate (the information is in bold below)

Copenhagen(Wed 6/28 – Fri 6/30)

Copenhagen- Copenhagen(Danish: København) is the capital and most populous city of Denmark. The City of Copenhagen (Byen København) has a population of 763,908 (as of December 2016), of whom 601,448 live in the Municipality of Copenhagen. The larger urban area has a population of 1,280,371 (as of 1 January 2016), while the Copenhagen metropolitan area has just over 2 million inhabitants. The city is situated on the eastern coast of the island of Zealand; another small portion of the cit is located on Amager, and is separated from Malmö, Sweden, by the strait of Øresund. The Øresund Bridge connects the two cities by rail and road.

Day’s Summary: It will be an early morning getting to the airport to fly to Copenhagen. We will take the train to the hotel, where we can freshen up for a little while. Then head out to Stroget street, which is the main drag. There are stores, shopping and things to do/see, and restaurants. We can soak up the atmosphere and eat.

Wednesday Afternoon (6/28)

· Transport from Airport to Hotel:

The train station is located by terminal 3. You can take a free shuttle bus from terminal 1 to terminal 3, which will take 5 minutes. The trains run every 10 minutes during the day and will get you to Copenhagen Central Station in about 13 minutes. During the night the trains run 1-3 times an hour. City pass tickets can be bought at the ticket machines in terminal 3 just above the railway, and at the DSB ticket sales counter, also located in terminal 3. Please note that the machines only accept coins and all major credit cards, not notes.

·Check-in at Hotel Nebo

·Istedgade6, 1650 København V, Denmark

·+4533 21 12 17 http://www.nebo.dk/

·Lunch/Dinner onStroget –

·Walk down Stroget - For shopping & culture

·Stoget Shopping Mile - http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/stroget-0

·Some time for rest and relaxation

·Dinner at a Danish restaurant on Stroett as we walk. Dinner Suggestions:

·Café Dale Vale: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189541-d8429010-Reviews-Cafe_Dalle_Valle-Copenhagen_Zealand.html - Dalle Valle, Fiolstræde 3, 1171 KøbenhavnK, Denmark

·Restaurant Puk - http://www.restaurantpuk.dk/english/ (dinner menu is a little expensive) - Restaurant Puk,Vandkunsten 8, 1467 København K, Denmark

The forecast for the following day potentially would bring moisture unto the world. Thereby we decided to make a change in plans and while our afternoon and evening away in the gardens of Tivolo. Thrill seekers, we are, at least my DD17 and I. Eating off the excitement of speed as we rocket up, down, and upside down, held to our seats by straps and gravity as we make our way around the tracks of coasters. While the newer toys are faster and taller,there is a part of us that clamors for the olden days, when the rickety rackety cars attached to wooden tracks, would thrill all whom would take the ride. After living the bygone era of coasters on Leap-the-Dips [world’s oldest continuously running roller coaster, Altoona, PA], our travels to Copenhagen would place us on the third oldest coaster in the world, the fearsomely named Rutschebanen [this Danish world simply translates to “roller coaster”]

enhance

With hunger pains still upon us,a quick walk to Tivoli Gardens for food and fun was the order of the day. The line to enter was not long and we made our way inside, with the Rutschebanen,as our first course of business. [Note: Entrance fee was 120 DKK perperson. Ride tickets can either be purchased separately, or you can get an all-access pass for all rides.] The wait for this ride was about 10 minutes.I was paired with my younger daughter, while my DD17 too my DW. Although we did not reach any ridiculous heights or come anywhere near mock speeds, the cars moved rapidly enough to provide enough whipping as we turned corners or descended down one of its many hills. I was not expecting the tunnels to be so high, but was disappointed that there were no really steep dips in the darkened depths of the ride’s terrain. The ride came to an end all too quickly, but it was an enjoyable experience for all. As tourists do, we spend our money foolishly, so you should find it no surprise that we purchased the photos of all the members of our family taking part in the ride just as we began our decent down one of the hills.

enhance

Now that we had conquered this behemoth, it was time to seek out something to fill our stomachs. At the entrance of the Rutschebanen, there were a few take-out stands, and after walking around for a few minutes, we came back to the stand, and had some standard European amusement park delicacies. My family ordered the usual pizza and burgers, but I had what was to be my first of many Danish hot dogs (polsers). The American hot dog it is not. Served with both ketchup and mustard on a plate it is, but also is the roll.

enhance

After we ate, we took our time strolling around the grounds, looking at the gardens, the architecture, ducks walking around, and enjoying watching our children on a few additional rides. The melding of the old and new merged brightly within this place, which has served up thrills and entertainment to millions over its long history. Along the path there were plenty of vendors selling various food and drink, and as the evening wore on, we did chance upon a few of these vendors. The churros we purchased – topped with cinnamon and sugar – were exceptionally good. After a few hours, we grew tired, and decided to return to the hotel.

enhance

enhance

On our way back we took a detour through Central Station for additional snacks and American coffee at the place that keeps America running. My DW, whom I consider a coffee aficionado, did not enjoy it. The coffee beans they used provided too strong of a brew, and even the sugar did not contain it. Myself, I am not particularly a lover of coffee, was able to concur – I just did not enjoy it, even with addition of many sugar sweetening tablets [FYI – The sweeteners in many shops were provided as tiny tablets instead of in a granulated form.]

The evening has come to an end,but there is still a sliver of daylight shining through the windows. The family washes up, takes showers, and gets ready for bed. I was the last to shower,and came back to a quiet room with only the illumination of the moon to make my way. I lie down, but as the last few nights before, sleep is not easy to find.

I think about the tour I am to provide tomorrow, guiding my family through this medieval city. I think about our commute to the awaiting mega ship. I think about all of the ports we are to visit. I think.

enhance

An explosion goes off in the night. Then another. I run to the window to find the source of this racket, and the sky becomes luminous with colored lights glowing in the night’s sky. This show of luminance is courtesy of Tivoli Gardens, which lies only on the other side of the train depot. The explosives being launched high above the rooftops provided a perfect spot for viewing to us veering out from our fifth floor perch. Unfortunately, our DD12 would not awaken for this aerial show of sight and sound, but for the remainder of us, it was quite a lagniappe to cap off an enjoyable evening.

Edited by Travel R

Again, I lay in bed, and still could not find sleep, so I arose, took out my writing tablet, and uncharacteristically began to write a poem. It is as of yet untitled (working title: “Rhythm”), and needs editing/word smithing, if I were ever to publish it professionally, but the raw words of the poem as it was written is as follows:

Rhythm [?of Copenhagen?]

The Jewel of Denmark.

The showcase [??word??].

It’s heart.

A heart beats to a rhythm.

So does a city.

So does Copenhagen.

At night, the city does not sleep.

It is alive.

Sounds still dance through the air.

The screaming of girls at the distant Tivoli.

High pierced screams like sirens.

Not of fear, but of fancy.

The buses screech to a halt to admit passengers.

Engines, the haughty hum of a bass.

But they are only doing their job.

The bar patrons sing, laugh, and talk loudly in the streets.

Lyrics to an age-old song.

Searching for the perfect place to drink. [?or Searching for themselves? -- ?or searching for the next place to drink?]

Explosions bursting throughout the night.

The thrum of percussions.

Sounds, sights, and smells of excitement.

Wind rustling the window shades.

The steadiness [??word??] of a string quartet.

The rhythm of the city is heard at five stories high.

enhance

A poet I am not. My last attempt was probably decades ago while attending university. The lack of sleep does strange things to a person – breaking down their mental well being and having them write poetry in the middle of the night.

So why am I sharing this? I am sure some of you are saying to yourselves - enough already and get on with the review. I do not know myself – maybe for the fun of it. It was in my journal, whose content was intended to be shared with others. So it is only fitting to share this as well.

Eventually the sandman found me.Our meeting was inevitable. However, his magic was not very strong, and I had slumbered no longer than three of four hours before I arose the next morning at daybreak.

Next Up: A Walking Tour of Copenhagen, With A Hans Christian Andersen Theme

Edited by Travel R

A private tour in St Petersburg is not more expensive than a ship tour.

We did two days last summer in St Petersburg on a RCCL ship. Our private tour with Alla tours was less expensive than the ship ones that our friends took. We saw more and with less money. We coordinated with the tour company before the trip the sights we wanted to see. We saw everything in a 6 person private van with no waiting in lines like the ship passengers.

Very happy with our decision and would only do it that way if we went again.

A private tour in St Petersburg is not more expensive than a ship tour.

We did two days last summer in St Petersburg on a RCCL ship. Our private tour with Alla tours was less expensive than the ship ones that our friends took. We saw more and with less money. We coordinated with the tour company before the trip the sights we wanted to see. We saw everything in a 6 person private van with no waiting in lines like the ship passengers.

Very happy with our decision and would only do it that way if we went again.

Yes, the ship's tours are very expensive. If going on this (or any other itinerary), it is advised to do some research to see what the third party options are (including private tours), and look at your Roll Call for any suggestions. Although we had 14 people in our group (it was not too large, and it was nice to have newly made friends on this adventure), we were all in agreement with the modifications we wanted to make to the itinerary.

Our tour through DenRus, which only had 14 people, was semi-private. We were able to work with the company to modify their "standard" tour, and even with the additional cost of the Gold Room (in the Hermitage), it still wound up being relatively less expensive than the ship's tour. We also were able to skip waiting on line at all of the sites (and some of those lines were very, very long). [but I'll be discussing to our time in SPB soon enough.]

Copenhagen(Wed 6/28 – Fri 6/30)

[Continued]

Day’s Summary: Today will be a walking tour, led by me around the city. We will see/visit most of the city’s main attractions, but it will have a Hans Christen Andersen theme to keep it a fun (including reading parts of some of his fairy tales). The tour is at our leisure, so we can skip what you want, and stop whenever we feel like it. However, note that there will be a bit of walking, so wear comfortable shoes. The evening will be spent having fun at Tivoli Gardens.

Thursday (6/29)

0. Morning Jog – 3 Lake Run (route)

1. Breakfast &–Coffee shop across from Hotel

2. Hans Christian Anderson DIY Walking Tour. The tour includes: history, pictures, and reading selections of HCA.

Places we will visit include:

·Tivoli Gardens – Starting Point (Inspired Nightingale) (website)

·Weather Girls (website); Radhuspladsen / City Hall [inside] (website)

·Vester Voldgade (street) (website)

·Stroget (walk down street) (website)

·Gameltorv and Nytorv (website)

·RoyalDanish Theatre (Where HCA - Youthful Attempts) (website)

·1050København K (HCA Statue)

·Vingårdstræde6 (house HCA lived in)

·Nyhavn (Three houses where he had lived) ('The Tinderbox', 'Little Claus and Big Claus', and 'The Princess and the Pea') (website)

o- - Pizza Break at Nyhavn Pizzeria (website) - - -

·Ameliaborg Palace [inside] (website)

·Gefion Fountain (website)

·The Little Mermaid (Statue) (The Little Mermaid) Statue (info& pic)

·RosenborgCastle/ The King's Garden (HCA Statue) [inside] (website)

·Torvehallerne(Open Market) [inside] (website) - - -more snacks

·Trinitatis church (website)

·The RoundTower / Rundetaarn (Library HCA used) [inside] (website)

·Copenhagen Synagogue (website)

·Copenhagen University [inside] (website)

·Hans Christian Andersen Fairy-Tale House (HCA museum) [inside] (website)

·TivoliGardens [inside] (website)

3. Eat inTivoli at one of the food vendors [which we had done the night before - read review for what we had done instead.

Note: I will be adding all of my information for this walking tour onto Cruise Critic, but I will be adding to the Baltic Countries section to be shared by all. I will supply the link to it within this thread for those that want to see the full thing - if not, I will provide a summary of our experiences (well, it's me, so a little more than just a short summary) during the tour.

Edited by Travel R

Copenhagen Morning

The glow of the early morning sun had already entered the room by the time my eyelids opened to reveal my first images of the day. The rays shining in were not very bright, an it’s reason was clear only a half hour later when the unwelcome pitter-patter of rain began to batter against the wooden window frame of our room. This was a sound I did not want to hear. Besides it’s possible dampening of our sightseeing later in the day, it was to ruin my opportunity to jog in this city still foreign to me. It had also been a full five days since I had last participated in any physical fitness routine.

[side note: I participate in various physical events during the year. Three weeks after the cruise I am signed up for a 45 mile bike ride(although we will probably add on five more miles at the end to do a half century). Then the week after I am taking on a mud run. My ultimate goal for this year is a 10-12 mile Tough Mudder in early October. Although I may be on vacation, the dates of these events will not change, and I need to try to keep this ancient body of mine in top shape to not just to make it to the finish lines, but not embarrass myself in front of the twenty- and thirty-somethings that usually make up a large part of the participants. So, I needed to continue exercising, and I was excited to be running in a foreign country.]

The rain subsided at about 5:40,so with eagerness in my step, I bound out of bed, and put on my running clothes. With some pre-planning, I had already mapped out a favorite run of locals, at least that is what the website stated, which takes you around the three lakes of Copenhagen. I had calculated that a complete revolution of the course would be about four miles. After about the first mile,after each step, I became exceedingly more tired. My training usually requires me to perform an exercise after every half mile of road covered (pushups, jumping jacks,etc.). After conducting two such exercises, I had removed them from this morning’s run, with the intent of finishing up at least a straight run of 5 kilometers (3.12 miles). Having also forgotten my iPod, mentally, my mind was beginning to wander as well as also giving me signs that it too was tired. With a short walk after the mile two, I finished running after what I presumed to be the 5K mark, and mostly walked the last mile back to the hotel (I knew it would have been idiotic to have pushed my body any further).

Although the gloomy sky kept the sun at bay, it was a very nice run. There was a lot to see around the path,besides the lake and surrounding trees. I had passed the planetarium, and what may have been a botanical garden. There were a number of statues located along the path, and at one point there were beautiful white swans swimming merrily along. My knees were also happy that there was little concrete below my feet for most of the path.

Exhausted from the morning’s physical activity, I returned to a still-quiet room, where its inhabitants were only beginning to stir. As quietly as I could, I unpacked my day’s attire, and headed for the showers. Upon my return, my family has mostly awaken, and were hungry. My DD12 and I made our way downstairs to hunt for our morning’s repast. A small pastry shop/bakery was situated not far from our lodgings [i had already been aware of this due to earlier research after booking the hotel]. We selected an assortment of breads and pastries for the lot, then crossed the street for some drinks and a coffee/latte for my lovely wife (which she did not enjoy). I, on the other hand, decided to pay for the continental-style breakfast buffet that was prepared by the hotel. With the extent of my hunger, and the extent of my thirst, and particularly beverages were very expensive outside the hotel,I decided it would be more cost effective to pay for their breakfast buffet,and be able to drink the juices and coffee to my heart’s content. Besides a variety of juices, coffee, and teas, the food they offered up were sliced meats, soft-boiled eggs, a selection of breads with butter, jelly, and rolls,cereal with milk, and yogurt (with toppings). An American breakfast it was not,but filling all the same.

With no start-time in mind, it was nearly 10 AM before everyone had eaten, showered, dressed, and ready to begin the day and see all that Copenhagen has to offer.

Copenhagen Walking Tour - Full Version

Just an FYI that I have copied my full walking tour, including notes and reading selections (with some accompanying photographs) at the following thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53545650&posted=1#post53545650

Tomorrow I will provide a post discussing what we did while on this walking tour - but the specifics of where each attraction is located, or the history behind any particular place will not be included (you will find that information in the full walking tour).

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I too am a planner - but for the same reasons as you - so I can be more flexible when hiccups inevitably arrive. It makes traveling much more enjoyable when you know what options are available and that you'll easily be able to find something enjoyable, even if it's not the originally intended activity. Thanks again!

Hi all!

Travel R ~ loving your pictures & feeling sad that all those I took of beautiful Copenhagen won't come off the SD card.

I was jet lagged there so know that feeling. We just couldn't stick around for the illumination & fireworks at Tivoli as we were so beat. Funny thing is Copenhagen was never a place I wanted to see but I sure was oohing & aahing about the buildings & lovely Tivoli Gardens there.

As a matter of fact I did see Plymouth Rock but don't remember it, what I do remember there was the Mayflower II & how small it was! DH & my first big disappointment was the Christ of the Deep statue in Grenada BWI. In the National Geographic book I had it looked large but at that time it was in water so you had to go by boat & it was small!

I looked at your signature & see you were on Legend of the Seas in the Med. We were on it in Asia & will be on it again next Feb in its new appointment as TUI Discovery II! Looking forward to that.

Loved your picture looking down to the big church in Reykjavik. The view from the top was amazing! My guest house was just across the street from there.

Looking forward to the rest of your review & even more poetry if you had more sleepless nights.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

Enjoying your review. I love all of the detail you are posting as I am a big planner with a trip binder always full of information for our travels. I am considering this itinerary (in whatever form they offer it) for summer 2019 as a college graduation gift/trip for my oldest. He is a history major with a minor in Russian Studies and I know he would love it.

I am reading with great interest! We leave in a week -- also going with our teens (16, 13) and tween (11) - and also going on Icelandair with a stopover in Iceland before heading to this exact same cruise departing July 27. I am enjoying your review so far & hope you will have a chance to write more before I embark on a nearly similar journey. If you have a chance, if you could write back your kids' top 5 teen/tween activities/experiences, I'd love to add those in for our kids.

I was finally able to get an answer from both of my daughters and they each listed five items. I too was interested in what they had listed. My 12yo provided a few explanations for her answers, while my 17yo was more to the point. [i added the cities/ports for context.]

The Top Five Favorite Things my Daughters did on this Vacation

DD12

1 – “The ship”

2 – Husky Riding (in Helsinki)

3 – Architecture & various sites of Russia (“it was pretty”)

4 – Copenhagen – The stories I recited to my family during our walking tour, and the Little Mermaid statue

5 – Estonia, because it was small,pretty, and not as touristy

DD17

1- Husky Ride (in Helsinki)

2- Meeting Friends

3- Stasi Museum (Rostock)

4- Faberge Museum

5- Ropes Course (on ship)

Both of my daughters listed the Husky Ride in Helsinki - the ride itself was only about 4 minutes in total, but it was something none of us had done before. However, the whole morning, which was mostly spent at the Lapaland facility, was just a great fun (family) experience.

I hope this helps (you and any others with teens and tweens). Please let me know if you have any other questions.

A WALKING TOUR OF COPENHAGEN, WITH A HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN THEME

It was at the hour of ten that my rugged band of adventurers emerged from the bowels of our temporary residence. The cool air blowing through the streets warranted the full-legged jeans, sweatshirts, and packing an extra rain jacket, if the weather called for it. Our first stop on this eight mile trek began at the location of our previous evening’s jaunt. However, on this occasion we did not venture inside.It was not time to discuss the history of Tivoli Gardens, and its association with the master scribe, Hans Christian Andersen (HCA). After a brief history lesson, and reading a selection from the Nightingale (1843), we moved on to uncharted territory.

enhance

If it is not already obvious, to make this day as enjoyable as possible for the teenager and tweenager, who made up half of our small company, I had infused the life of Hans Christian Andersen into the mix. The tour is to visit landmarks and dwellings that marked his life, and place his writings into context of the city that had impacted his writing. As referenced above, the rather straight-forward, fact-filled, data-driven information and directions for this excursion can be accessed HERE.

If you look skyward at the cornerr of Vesterbrogade and HC Anderson Boulevard, you may notice one or two golden ladies looking down upon the walker-bys. They are known as the weather girls, for they portray the day’s weather. If the maiden holding an umbrella appears, rain is in the forecast. If her sister is out riding her bike, a sunny day is in store. However, as was the case for our stay - if both are half-way in, and half-way out of their refuge, it was going to be a cloudy and unpredictable day.

enhance

Not too far away, the imposing City Hall looms over the boulevard. The architecture of the building (both inside and out) is rather pleasing to the eye. What should not be missed, however,is the Olsen World Clock found within – an amazing achievement in technology,where a complete rotation of the clock would not occur for another twenty five thousand years. HCA was known to sit on these very stairs in conference with friends, consoling with text, or possibly writing some of the stories we know so well. To memorialize his literary achievements to Denmark, a statue lies within (along with three other great Danes [no pun intended]), as does a larger than life statue rise over the stairs to the right, which provides for a great Kodak moment to pose with the Bard of Copenhagen. [Note: If your kids are big enough, they may be able to climb up and sit upon his lap.]

enhance

Our path takes us down one of the longest pedestrian streets in Europe, the famed Stroget. The street is filled with tourists, workers, and I am sure more than a few pick-pockets. The sides are strewn with many different shops, from souvenir stores, to clothing retailers – both low- and high-end, to a variety of storefronts offering a mix of delectable snacks and full meals.The walkway takes us to the old and new markets, which today is a large open space with vendors selling their wares while tourists stroll on by, purchase items, and take snap shots of the moment’s happenings. Of interest to the children was the history of the square and the location of where the scaffolds and pillories had stood.

enhance

While Christiansborg Palace was imposing,we did not stop inside, but took a number of pictures of its exterior. We had also only browsed at the marquis of the Royal Danish Theater (where HCA worked and briefly performed), as well as a look at a statue of his at 1050 København K, depicting him reading The Little Duckling.

enhance

Edited by Travel R

A few blocks to the north brought us to the area of Nyhaven. It is a very pretty area off with bright pastel colored houses, whose facades can be seen mirrored off of the canal. The street alongside the waterway is littered with outdoor cafes,every inch covered by chairs, tables, umbrellas where waiters are busily skittering between customers and the cookery. Sailboats, with their masts at rest, sit in the calm water. [Note: there is a cool souvenir store on the east side of the waterway, which includes a life-size animatronic figure of HCA,which my DDs found of interest.] It was midday, and again our bodies were aching for fuel, so our next quarry was not amid the sea of cafes, but a half block from the press of people to a nearby pizzeria. To calm the rumbles of our stomachs we consumed a full meal of pizza and pasta. [Note: Although there area number of“fancier” restaurants or those that served more localized foods, I have found it necessary to provide provisions, especially lunch on a long day’s journey,that are teen/tween friendly. A hungry kid is not a happy kid.] The food was quite good, and the pizza, astonishingly (as reviewed by my DDs) compared favorably to what is served stateside. [Note: We have a tradition of eating pizza in most of the countries we visit – see my discussion of vacation traditions (not yet written) further in this review.]

enhance

Being well satisfied by lunch, we again journeyed further north. We passed by the Amelienborg Palace and its well manicured gardens, followed by a photo op at the Geffion Fountain,where I discussed Norse mythology and the story of Ynglinga. But we soon arrive at the attraction most distant to our lodging, and the one that has become a symbol of Copenhagen and HCA – the Den lille Havfrue,the bronze statue of the Little Mermaid.Travelers beware; the figurine is not as large as you may expect, the area is congested with sight-seers (as you would expect), and the statue is a few feet from the shore, where onlookers try to shove their way to take snapshots and selfies – however, the ground is uneven,and I am sure more than a few have plunged into the cold waters. [Note: It was along journey to get here, but my DD12 appreciated it, and of course took a selfie with Ariel in the background.]What would a pilgrimage to this sacred landmark be without a selected reading from the original HCA version of The Little Mermaid; but before warned, his version and the Disneyfied movie are more homologous than fully parallel tales.]

enhance

Our feet were weary, and the day our bodies were fraught with the miles so far traveled. To refresh our bodies and our spirits, we hailed a cab to take us to the next place of interest, Rosenborg Castle, which was at least a mile away.[Note: There were not many taxis in the area, I think we happened to get lucky.Also note,the fare was the equivalent of $9 US.] We were dropped off across the street from the castle at the Museum of Geology, [this is not listed in my walking tour] where we took a quick look and being a science nerd, took a picture with a meteorite.

Across the traffic divide we marched, until reaching the cobblestone walkway which led to the ticket booth [Cost:110 kroner ages 18& over; there are also lockers for large bags (mandatory) – lockers are 20 kr, but you get the money back when you retrieve your items; also note that the lines moved very quickly]. The castle had it all – beautiful architecture,fantastic works of art, and unbelievable works of precious metals and gems –and of course the crown jewels. Our timing was also fortuitous – when we arose from the vault we had sat down for only a few minutes when soldiers marched into view. They were the relief for those that have been guarding the queen’s treasures the past few hours. My clan, along with all the other tourists in the area gathered round and watched the changing of the guard. [Note: my family enjoyed it, but note, the guards are uniformed in regular fatigues and not the colorful uniforms and plumed hats worn by the soldiers at Amalienborg Castle (or Buckingham Palace) – so although the ceremony was interesting, it lacked the piquant flamboyancy nor the pomp and circumstance most usually envision. [Note:I wish I was better prepared before entering Rosenborg, although they provide you with a map, there is too much information to process and simplify for discussion for my family.]

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by Travel R

We left,heading southward and made a quick stop at Torvehallerne, a large open market. Although there seemed to be many options available, the troops were tired, and I knew I was working with borrowed time,so the decision was made to push off for a snack on Stroget, being closer to home. Our next stop was Trinitatis Church, followed by Rundetaarn,the Round Tower.Whereas we did not have the energy to climb to its apex, we found a bench lying in its shadow, and read a selection from HCA’s The Elder-Tree Mother, which specifically mentions the aforementioned tower.

We were coming down to the final few stops on this tour, and again took to sitting on a bench near the Copenhagen Synagogue and the five century old Copenhagen University,which was attended by HCA in the 1830, but can also name Bohr, Brahe,and Kierkegaard as its alumni. The rest stops started to come at a greater frequency, and despite the cool weather, a rather long respite sitting outside ice cream and chocolate shoppe. And we allowed my DW quick stops along Strgoetto visit souvenir shops (and of course the Lego Store).

enhance

After filling our veins with body-energizing sugar, we headed to our final stop of the day, the Hans Christian Andersen Fairy-Tale House. From prior reading, and a peak into the draw, I knew it was going to be a tourist trap.However, it seemed the proper location to end a HCA walking tour of the city of Copenhagen. My estimation of this attraction was not incorrect. My tour provided a broader and more detailed picture of the life of HCA. However, I guess it was just the icing on the HCA cake. [Note – the same entrance to this attraction could also take you into the Ripley’s Believe It Or Not (having attended this many times in other cities, we did not pay the additional surcharge to enter.]

enhance

History and historical information have always been of interest to me,and when digging deeper into HCA’s life, I did learn a few things that you will not find in the HCA Fairy-Tale House. For instance, HCA kept a journal, and would mark an “X” every time he took pleasure upon himself(there were many such marks throughout his journals). HCA had sought romantic relationships with both men and women, but had most probably remained celibate until his death. There are some that theorize that the story of The Little Mermaid was based on his pursuit of, and rejection from a potential male lover. Another little known fact is that when his works started to be well known, he traveled and met many other people of distinction, such as Charles Dickens, and would stay at their residences when abroad. Dickens found him a horrible house guest.

enhance

Although the pangs from our stomachs began to be felt, the desire for slumber embraced our bodies. Instead of dining on Stroget, we decided to make my younger daughter happy, and pick up some McDonalds from within Central Station. I had only ordered one small burger for my own, as I was curious to how it tastes, but before we ascended into the hotel, I purchased a thick polse (hot dog) from a stand across the way.

We dined on our meager meal, and all had proceeded to nap, and I was not excluded from this activity. A few hours later we had all awoken, and decided to take a quick walk outside to see Tivoli at night – although we were not to cross its entrance, we were inquisitive to see how it looked with a quarter million light bulbs illuminated at the same time.We did not stay long,and came back to our quarters. My three travel companions had quickly fallen asleep, but as had become commonplace, I could not fall asleep right away, and most likely did not shut my eyes until after the wee hour of one.

enhance

Up Next: Onto the Getaway

Edited by Travel R

Thank you for sharing your experience. I too am a planner - but for the same reasons as you - so I can be more flexible when hiccups inevitably arrive. It makes traveling much more enjoyable when you know what options are available and that you'll easily be able to find something enjoyable, even if it's not the originally intended activity. Thanks again!

My pleasure.

Hi all!

Travel R ~ loving your pictures & feeling sad that all those I took of beautiful Copenhagen won't come off the SD card.

I was jet lagged there so know that feeling. We just couldn't stick around for the illumination & fireworks at Tivoli as we were so beat. Funny thing is Copenhagen was never a place I wanted to see but I sure was oohing & aahing about the buildings & lovely Tivoli Gardens there.

As a matter of fact I did see Plymouth Rock but don't remember it, what I do remember there was the Mayflower II & how small it was! DH & my first big disappointment was the Christ of the Deep statue in Grenada BWI. In the National Geographic book I had it looked large but at that time it was in water so you had to go by boat & it was small!

I looked at your signature & see you were on Legend of the Seas in the Med. We were on it in Asia & will be on it again next Feb in its new appointment as TUI Discovery II! Looking forward to that.

Loved your picture looking down to the big church in Reykjavik. The view from the top was amazing! My guest house was just across the street from there.

Looking forward to the rest of your review & even more poetry if you had more sleepless nights.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

That is a bumber, not being able to upload the pics off your card. but the memories are alive in your memory.

My DW and I said the same thing to each other - Copenhagen was never high on our list of places to visit, but it was one of the nicest cities we have ever visited.

We really enjoyed the Legend. It was probably our favorite ship we have cruised. I am jealous that you will be onboard her again - is Thomson sailing her in the Mediterranean?

Cheers!

Enjoying your review. I love all of the detail you are posting as I am a big planner with a trip binder always full of information for our travels. I am considering this itinerary (in whatever form they offer it) for summer 2019 as a college graduation gift/trip for my oldest. He is a history major with a minor in Russian Studies and I know he would love it.

That would be an amazing gift - especially with his studies. There are various differences in these Baltic itineraries (even NCL has some alternate itineraries on this same ship while in the Baltics). There is a vast amount of history almost everywhere you turn - and from so many countries/cultures and various ages through time - it is just amazing.

Quick - there were a lot of 20 somethings on this cruise (in comparison to our Med cruise, or even any prior cruises).

Following and loving your review. DH and myself are booked on this same cruise next year on the Breakaway. I've been researching other areas to go either before or after the cruise. After reading your comments about Iceland, I think I'll scratch that one off my list. I'm sure it is beautiful in its own right, but not something we would love. Looking forward to more.