Cruising the Baltics with a Teen and Tween on the Getaway; A Review

Travel R

GOING MEDIEVAL: TALLINN, A BALTIC SURPRISE

Good Morning and a Buffet

Although the affairs of the day did not require a very early rise, it was not to be one of leisure and pleasure. The design of the day’s schedule was to bring our small group of adventurers into the little known city of Tallinn, and too rendezvous with a tour that was to commence when the bell rings ten. Before the allotted hour we still needed to get ready, dine on the morning’s offerings, meet up with another party at nine, then walk to the main square of that century-old town.

Our victuals were taken in the Garden Buffet, our first sojourn there for breakfast. Due to the vast number of individuals racing back and forth with dishes piled high with food, the bug staff and food servers zig-zagging their way across the expanse of the room, and the tables full to the brim with occupants dining upon what they had foraged from the various stations, one word come to mind to describe the chaotic scene . . . . chockablock. [Note: Yes, it’s a real word. Although rarely used today, it fittingly has a nautical origin.] The selection of fare was what one would expect, and the meal was middling – the food quality was tolerable, but loud and bustling nature of the buffet was not to our linking. [Note: Unlike another cruise line, I will give kudos to NCL for not posting a bacon guard on duty for dishing out officially accepted portions.]

Upon finishing or meal, we returned to our room to pick up our provisions, then walked down to the allotted meeting spot. The other family did not appear on time – although the mother had come up a few minutes later to notify us of their tardiness. She told us that we should go, but we said we would wait. Because they had young children we understood that being punctual is not always possible. We waited a bit longer, until she insisted that we depart. Although we felt bad for leaving them behind, it was already a little after 9:20, and we still had a hike to take into town. I left them with the following advice: “Follow the spires, and it will lead you to into the town.”

[An Estonian courtyard:]

enhance

[Note: From a historical perspective to visiting most of the ports on this itinerary, I believe it is important to know about the Hanseatic League. It was a very powerful shipping and commerce organization that basically ran all trade on the Baltic Seas from the 15th century into the 19th century. Although not a “country” themselves, they had power over almost 200 cities in the Baltic region. They are the reason why Copenhagen built some of their forts and walls. They are the reason why Rostock was once a major city, with one of the oldest universities.They are the reason why Tallinn was originally two cities. For a decent overview, see https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hanseatic-League.]

A Walk Through Tallinn

enhance

Disembarking was easy, and we quickly made our way onto the port, passing multiple buses and other tourists spending their day in port. The Getaway was just one of four mighty ships docking in the marina.Prior to the trip I had printed out a map of the area, with directions to the town center. However, I listened to my own advice, and followed the spires, which led us directly into the town and the town center. We took a path that cut through the streets of the town, full of modern and semi-modern buildings, while ascending at a slight incline until we arrived at a park and a large intersection, where first sighted the old town gates, an old large circular guard house called the Fat Margaret Tower.

enhance

We passed under the gates and became transported to a medieval world, as hinted by our first sight of the tower. This approach places travelers on the main street of the old city of Tallinn, by the name of Pikk street. Today this street is lined with restaurants, souvenir stores, and other shops, which nicely corresponds to its use in Medieval times – the main avenue used by the merchants of the town. The time was getting on, so we did not have time to stop and gaze, and quickened out pace to meet up with the 10 am tour.

enhance

[Note: From what I had read while compiling my research, this was small town that could easily be explored on your own. However, I also uncovered some free walking tours of the city during my same fact finding activities. After acting the tour guide in Iceland, Copenhagen, and Rostock, I figured that the free tour was a good opportunity to alleviate some of the pressures on myself to provide the research on a port, and let someone else do all of the talking.

enhance

Note, however, I still conducted research myself in order to do the town DIY in case: we missed the tour, or after joining in, we decided that it was not enjoyable. Once again, I do feel bad that we had to leave the family behind, but if we did not leave when we did, we may have missed the 10 am tour. We literally arrived at 9:58 at the place of gathering. Although “they”say it is 25 minutes from port – I would correct this and state that it is 25 minutes once you get to the end of the port to the main town square. I would recommend that if you are walking, to give yourself 45 minutes from your cabin on the ship to the town center.]

enhance

We made an exceptional decision to explore the city with Tallin Free Tour. Our guide Mairi was fantastic. She is a native Estonian and had a great amount of pride in this city, the country, the culture, and its history – and it really showed during her talks and explanations. Although she showed us around and explained the Medieval history of Estonia (which is what I knew about), she also filled us in on the more modern history of the country for which she shows such great passion. With such a large number of out-of-towners in port, I was worried that the group would be too large. Although we numbered close to fifty, this was not an issue. Although her voice was not stentorian, she spoke loudly enough (and in very good English) for everyone to hear and comprehend. She even kept the interests of my teen and tween during the almost two hour tour.

enhance

enhance

For this day’s review I shall not provide the details of each sight we saw or visited (the list of sites is provided in the proposed itinerary for Tallinn).However, I will state that the town was a big surprise, in terms of its architectural beauty. It is the only port in which we sail that can actually be called Medieval. Between wars and natural disasters (especially fires), the architecture of all the other ports we visit were mostly destroyed. In contrast, much of the old city of Tallinn had been preserved for all to see. As such, it had become the “surprise” of this itinerary.

enhance

Estonia, and its history, is mostly a footnote to what we learn in American history classes, so the stop was not one which myself had expected to learn and see so much. [Note: there is some climbing, and a decent amount of time spent walking on this tour, so those with mobility challenges need to beware.]

enhance

Side note:Interestingly, although the town includes many churches, the country as a whole is not very religious.

After bidding our guide and adieu (and giving her a tip), we headed back down the main road. Being Monday, many of the museums of the city were closed, and my family did not want to really go museum hopping anyway. My DD17 was again complaining that she was not feeling well, which also hastened our walk back to the ship. However, that did not stop us from visiting the souvenir shops which were more than happy to lighten our pockets.

enhance

SHOPPERS ALERT: Tallinn had the best prices for souvenirs in comparison to any other port we visited.

enhance

[Caveat: There are NO PUBLIC BATHROOMS to be found in the old city. To make use of a water closet one must go to one of the many restaurants and cafes within the city. We had stopped into a bakery/café with takeout that had a WC (just off of the main square), and made good use of it.]

enhance

Thank you so very much for your review. Without a doubt your review has been the most complete and informative I've ever read on Cruise Critic. You are without a doubt the most anal retentive person I've ever read on this site, even more than I would be and I think I'm super retentive. Those of us with OCD about travel need to stick together. Thanks again. Paul in St. Paul, MN

Thank you so very much for your review. Without a doubt your review has been the most complete and informative I've ever read on Cruise Critic. You are without a doubt the most anal retentive person I've ever read on this site, even more than I would be and I think I'm super retentive. Those of us with OCD about travel need to stick together. Thanks again. Paul in St. Paul, MN

Your post made me smile. :D

Thank you, but to properly provide thanks, I shall categorically answer each part of your post separately . . . .

Thank you so very much for your review.

>>> You are very welcome, it is my pleasure to give back to the cruise critic community.

Without a doubt your review has been the most complete and informative I've ever read on Cruise Critic.

>>> I've been on here for several years, and I am but a mere apprentice to some of the master reviewers I have seen on here. One member creates video montage to begin their reviews; another provides such detailed information that my writing looks like a short summary; and some members provide hundreds of pictures of the ship while I only display but a small handful.

You are without a doubt the most anal retentive person I've ever read on this site, even more than I would be and I think I'm super retentive.

>>> I shall take that as the compliment it is meant to be, and most grateful that you can appreciate my art for what it is. As you know, sometimes being AR can be a curse, but more often, it has allowed me to get ahead in most aspects of my life.

Those of us with OCD about travel need to stick together.

>>> I agree. But also allow others to stick close to us, while we lead the way. One day, hopefully our cruising itineraries will coincide - I want to party with you! [seriously]

Thanks again. Paul in St. Paul, MN

>>> You are very welcome!!!

At least you did not call me a:

enhance

[FYI - Schmuck is translated as "jewelry" in German - the above photo was taken at the Rostock train station. And to think, I never thought I would get a chance to use this photo.]

Edited by Travel R

Your post made me smile. :D

Thank you, but to properly provide thanks, I shall categorically answer each part of your post separately . . . .

Thank you so very much for your review.

>>> You are very welcome, it is my pleasure to give back to the cruise critic community.

Without a doubt your review has been the most complete and informative I've ever read on Cruise Critic.

>>> I've been on here for several years, and I am but a mere apprentice to some of the master reviewers I have seen on here. One member creates video montage to begin their reviews; another provides such detailed information that my writing looks like a short summary; and some members provide hundreds of pictures of the ship while I only display but a small handful.

You are without a doubt the most anal retentive person I've ever read on this site, even more than I would be and I think I'm super retentive.

>>> I shall take that as the compliment it is meant to be, and most grateful that you can appreciate my art for what it is. As you know, sometimes being AR can be a curse, but more often, it has allowed me to get ahead in most aspects of my life.

Those of us with OCD about travel need to stick together.

>>> I agree. But also allow others to stick close to us, while we lead the way. One day, hopefully our cruising itineraries will coincide - I want to party with you! [seriously]

Thanks again. Paul in St. Paul, MN

>>> You are very welcome!!!

At least you did not call me a:

enhance

[FYI - Schmuck is translated as "jewelry" in German - the above photo was taken at the Rostock train station. And to think, I never thought I would get a chance to use this photo.]

Thanks for your reply. Others post amazing reviews as you have noted but please know that yours was exceptional as well. Just joking, but perhaps some day we should leave our families at home and the two of us can go on a cruise, just to see who can out-plan the other. My best wishes to you and your family. Paul in St. Paul

AFTER TALLINN

O’Sheehans, Again

My DD12 was famished upon our tour of Tallinn, so my DW took DD17 to the medic, while I brought her to O’Sheehans for a light lunch. By light, I mean my usual order of Thai chili chicken wings, the hearty stew, and an order of fish and chips. While the wings and stew were repeats, this was my first sampling of the fry platter. As usual, I enjoyed the wings, and the stew is usually good, but sometimes better than others. The fish dish was okay, but not amazing (and probably would not order it again).

Lunch was followed by an afternoon relaxing in the room and on the balcony. At one time or another we had all shortened our time for dinner by catching a few z’s. Being refreshed by our siestas, we prepared for an evening at a dinner show.

enhance

Cirque Steam and Dreams

enhance

I was saddened earlier this year to learn that Barnum and Bailey Circus was closing its tents, bringing an almost 150 year institution to an end. However, the tradition of circuses still continues through various forms, such as the Big Apple Circus, and Cirque du’ Seolei, which places the burden on entertainment upon the human performer, than the animals. Cirque Steam and Dream stakes on the excitement of circuses and the wonderment of the side-shows along with the surreal imagery of something out of the world of Tim Burton – and add to that, a touch of Broadway cinema.

enhance

Even though we had arrived a half hour prior to the show, there was already a line of close to 20 people. [Note: We had paid extra for the “floor” seats, however,they are not reserved seats, so the first come get the best seats. However, the venue is not very large, so the view from the “banquet” seats are not bad either. We were at a table literally in front of the stage.]

enhance

Soon after being seated, we were provided with menus and asked for our drink order. We had explained our allergies to the waiter, and he tried to keep my food cheese-free (there is cheese in the salad, and also sprinkled upon the potatoes, and there is cheese used in the icing of the dessert). However, as explained in a prior post, they tried to serve my DW a red velvet cake, and she is allergic to chocolate.

The meal began with a salad, which was fairly good. The entrée included steak and shrimp with roasted potatoes. This dish was very good. The steak was not the greatest in the world, but far from the worst. There were only two little shrimp, but they were good, and the roasted potatoes were sufficiently seasoned. Dessert, even modified for my allergy was tasty.

enhance

During dinner, some of the actors came out in some very elaborate costumes – both complicated and elaborate in design and splendor. Once the dishes were cleared, the show began. The scenery had a black-and-white quality with the imagery of being underground in the workings of a building where the steam and water pipes run freely. The underground scenes of the workers of Metropolis could accurately describe what I was viewing onstage. The performers began to enter the stage to loud music, and of course, with “steam” flowing around their feet.

My DW and daughters had all enjoyed the meal and the show (note: my DD12 was upset that they did not bring her dessert (when she was at the WC). Although she did not want it, and I said I would ask the waiter to bring it to her, she said no – but wanted me to add this to my review – otherwise, she enjoyed the evening (and she did get ice cream later that night to satisfy her sweet tooth).

The show was an amalgamation of various acts of acrobatics and human feats of skill. Some were okay, some were good,and there were two performers that were completely outstanding. The whole evening – from food to entertainment,it was a very enjoyable family evening.

To Bed

On the morrow, we were to awaken at dawn’s onset to be ready for our traipse into the Venice of the North. We took showers prior to going abed to save time in the morning. I did not find sleep very quickly, but once it came, I remained as a log until I awoke at five.

enhance

Edited by Travel R

Thank you SO much for this SUPER extensive review. It took me a while to start reading it because of the title and us travelling with no children. But this review is worth it's weight in GOLD! I do have a few questions though. How did you sign up for the Tallinn tour? If you said it, I missed it. Second, considering tipping in Europe... what type of tip did you give the guide? Thank you for the info on the Diabetes. My DW is diabetic and can control her diet but the information, especially about the drinks was helpful! How long was the tour in Tallinn? I have high blood pressure (hypertension). How bad was the salt in the meals? Should I call in advance for low sodium? Final question.... I got "roped" into setting up the M&G and a few other things. I have not cruised in 20 years. Is it standard that NCL will provide name tags and markers or should I bring some? Thank you!!!

I've been on here for several years, and I am but a mere apprentice to some of the master reviewers I have seen on here. One member creates video montage to begin their reviews; another provides such detailed information that my writing looks like a short summary; and some members provide hundreds of pictures of the ship while I only display but a small handful.

If I may interject.... I have read MANY, MANY reviews about numerous ships and itineraries and yours ranks up in the TOP 2! The only one who rivals you is TheDougOut (who I assume that you refer to).

I shall take that as the compliment it is meant to be, and most grateful that you can appreciate my art for what it is. As you know, sometimes being AR can be a curse, but more often, it has allowed me to get ahead in most aspects of my life.

Being AR has allowed me to get ahead in life too and is allowing me to retire at a relatively young age (56) in December. You are quite accomplished as shown by your digressions, keep up your passions!

I agree. But also allow others to stick close to us, while we lead the way. One day, hopefully our cruising itineraries will coincide - I want to party with you! [seriously]

Why would you want to allow them to even come? I would LOVE to plagiarize some of your itinerary for the DYIs but won't. Thank you again, kind sir!

/

Thank you SO much for this SUPER extensive review. It took me a while to start reading it because of the title and us travelling with no children. But this review is worth it's weight in GOLD! I do have a few questions though. How did you sign up for the Tallinn tour? If you said it, I missed it. Second, considering tipping in Europe... what type of tip did you give the guide? Thank you for the info on the Diabetes. My DW is diabetic and can control her diet but the information, especially about the drinks was helpful! How long was the tour in Tallinn? I have high blood pressure (hypertension). How bad was the salt in the meals? Should I call in advance for low sodium? Final question.... I got "roped" into setting up the M&G and a few other things. I have not cruised in 20 years. Is it standard that NCL will provide name tags and markers or should I bring some? Thank you!!!

Good questions - I'll try to answer below:

Thank you SO much for this SUPER extensive review. Your welcome.

How did you sign up for the Tallinn tour? You do not sign up for it, you just show up at the designated place (I have the URL above with the information). The tour is given at 10, 12, and I think 3 (check the website). I specifically chose the 10 am because from what I read, that is usually the less crowded than the noon tour.

Considering tipping in Europe... what type of tip did you give the guide? I am not sure. I was a waiter in my youth, and always tend to over tip, so my wife will usually give the tips (and we rarely will discuss it). I suggested 40-60 euros (10-15 per person), but I am not sure what she actually gave.

Thank you for the info on the Diabetes. My DW is diabetic and can control her diet but the information, especially about the drinks was helpful! I have had it for a few years - and thankfully it is under control due to exercising and dieting - and cruise lines have really done a good job providing sugar free (or low sugar) substitutes.

How long was the tour in Tallinn? 2 Hours (which I believe is the same length as the ship's tour, and takes you the same sites). She was originally going to cut the tour short (or give us the quick version) because it was raining when we first met, but since it stopped raining soon after we began, the tour lasted almost the entire two hours.

I have high blood pressure (hypertension). How bad was the salt in the meals? Should I call in advance for low sodium? I tend to not cook with much salt myself [i too had HBP, but was able to get it under control a while back]. I believe the reason why I did not enjoy Moderno was because the meats had too much salt for me. The same reason I do not enjoy the fast food places - too much salt. But the answer is that it is inconsistent from meal to meal. However, I found that the fried dishes and sauces seemed to contain the most sodium. In the MDRs, if I ordered the steak, or other dishes, I would ask them to place the sauce on the side. If it is really that bad - contact NCL, so you know you are good -- but at any time you can always order off the regular menu as well.

I got "roped" into setting up the M&G and a few other things. I have not cruised in 20 years. Is it standard that NCL will provide name tags and markers or should I bring some? I am not sure. I did not set up the M&G. In fact, one member of our roll call actually brought stickers and markers, and I brought the sign-in sheet - but NCL had the stickers, markers, and sign-in sheet there when we arrived.

You will find that the cruise industry has changed a lot in 20 year - some for the better, and some things that I do miss (a story for another thread). I will be looking forward to your review, especially your take on cruising after a twenty year hiatus.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

I've been on here for several years, and I am but a mere apprentice to some of the master reviewers I have seen on here. One member creates video montage to begin their reviews; another provides such detailed information that my writing looks like a short summary; and some members provide hundreds of pictures of the ship while I only display but a small handful.

If I may interject.... I have read MANY, MANY reviews about numerous ships and itineraries and yours ranks up in the TOP 2! The only one who rivals you is TheDougOut (who I assume that you refer to).

I shall take that as the compliment it is meant to be, and most grateful that you can appreciate my art for what it is. As you know, sometimes being AR can be a curse, but more often, it has allowed me to get ahead in most aspects of my life.

Being AR has allowed me to get ahead in life too and is allowing me to retire at a relatively young age (56) in December. You are quite accomplished as shown by your digressions, keep up your passions!

I agree. But also allow others to stick close to us, while we lead the way. One day, hopefully our cruising itineraries will coincide - I want to party with you! [seriously]

Why would you want to allow them to even come? I would LOVE to plagiarize some of your itinerary for the DYIs but won't. Thank you again, kind sir!

Thank you!

Retiring at 56 - Very Nice and congratulations on your retirement later this year!

Continue to ask questions, and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. [And I'll try to keep the answers short and succinct - not that I have been able to do that yet.]

I will be taking two boys, 10 and 12, on this itinerary. Is there anything that you would recommend considering specific to them that you ran across but did not participate in and review due to having daughters instead? I don't think my sons will be interested in Claire's. ;)

Ongoing thanks! :D

I will be taking two boys, 10 and 12, on this itinerary. Is there anything that you would recommend considering specific to them that you ran across but did not participate in and review due to having daughters instead? I don't think my sons will be interested in Claire's.;)

I did not think about that (boys vs. girls) when writing this thread - However, I know that if I would have taken any of my nephews or friend's sons of these ages, I would probably have altered our excursions a little bit -- although most of the excursions would have mostly been the same

Below are a few things off the top of my head, but I would like to think about this some more and may have a few things to add later on . . . .

Copenhagen - Tivoli Gardens, Planetarium, Rosenborg Castle - changing of the guard, armor & weapons, Tivoli Gardens, changing of guard at palace, food & dessert places on Stroett, Lego Store, and did I mention - Tivoli Gardens, Ripley's Believe it or Not. Also note: I may have focused my walking tour on the military history of the city vs. the Hans Christian Andersen theme, which they still might enjoy.

Germany - There are a lot of very different choices to make at this port. Shwerin Castle, IGA Park (between Rostock and Warnemunde), Stasi document center (12 yo), beach activities in Warnemunde - and of course, to Berlin or not to Berlin.

Tallinn - The old castle walls & towers, Tallinn zoo, maritime museum, nuku puttet theater/museum. There is a "medeival experience" tour which may be of interest to them

SPB - Some cool palaces/fortresses they might like, and some amazing armor and weaponry in the Gold Room of Hermitage, boat ride and hydrofoil. Mosst of the tours (private and NCL) all go to the same standard places - you will have to see what is best for the kids (and comprimise with what is best for you adults). My wife and daughters loved the Faberge museum - yours sons may not.

Helsinki - The Lapland Winter World - nuff' said.

Stockholm - Vasa museum would be of interest to all, note that there is an amusement park in Stockholm, which is supposed to be pretty good

I hope this helps. But I will also try to think about it a little more.

Below are a few things off the top of my head, but I would like to think about this some more and may have a few things to add later on . . . .

Amazing bonus material! ;) Thank you! I'm ready to set sail! Only 346 days and a lot of planning to go!

I will be taking two boys, 10 and 12, on this itinerary. Is there anything that you would recommend considering specific to them that you ran across but did not participate in and review due to having daughters instead? I don't think my sons will be interested in Claire's. ;)

If I can chime in here as the mom of 2 boys who love military history. In Helsinki a trip out to Suomenlinna Island ( http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/fortress/ )might be good. It was a huge military fortress and now houses several museums including a restored submarine. If we end up doing this cruise in 2019 that is our plan for Helsinki.

Amazing bonus material! ;) Thank you! I'm ready to set sail! Only 346 days and a lot of planning to go!

An additional two cents -- I have said it in previous posts, and will say it again -- make sure you let your kids in on your decisions. My family actually took a vote on what excursion to choose. Make them part of the planning. [if they can, also let them do and contribute some of their own research.]

TALLINN: IN RETROSPECT

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would definitely take the same free tour again. As mentioned, we saw all of the major sites and received a history of the town, not only about the middle ages, but also about the modern history of the city/country.

I would possibly have spent a little more time after the guided tour – there was a museum on the main street that looked interesting (Estonian History Museum) or maybe sat and enjoyed lunch in the town. However, we had a good day in port. If the Soviet Occupation Museum were open we would have likely visited there, and possibly the Maritime (seaplane harbor museum) which was also closed on the day we visited. In the back of my mind, I also knew that there was always the Tallinn Zoo as a fallback.

My teen and tween both enjoyed the visit to this port, but it was not their favorite. If my DD12 was a little older, I think that we probably would have done a segway tour of the city. Most places I researched said that the kids would have to be either 13 or 14 to ride by themselves. There is also a bicycle tour, but my daughters decided against it.

SAINT PETERSBURG

(Tue & Wed 7/4 & 7/5) 7:00 to 7:00

Saint Petersburg – Saint Petersburg (Russian:Санкт-Петербу́рг, tr. Sankt-Peterburg; is Russia's second-largest city after Moscow, with five million inhabitants in 2012,and an important Russian port on the Baltic Sea. It is politically incorporated as a federal subject (a federal city). Situated on the Neva River, at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea, it was founded by Tsar Peter the Great on May 27 1703. In 1914, the name was changed from Saint Petersburg to Petrograd, and in 1991 back to Saint Petersburg. Between 1713 and 1728 and in 1732–1918, Saint Petersburg was the capital of imperial Russia. In 1918, the central government bodies moved to Moscow

Two Day’s Summary:Two busy days of touring in Saint Petersburg, seeing some amazing sites. We can do dinner on the ship on Wed., or dine somewhere in Saint Petersburg. Note that dinner reservations were made for 8:30 on both nights, but they can be rescheduled, if needed.

DenRus Tours - DenRus - https://www.denrus.ru/excursions/saint-petersburg/

July 4, Tuesday

07:00 Breakfast – Garden Buffet

08:00 Ship’s arrival

08:30 Highlights drive tour. Highlights drive tour with metro, walk by

the Nevsky Prospect

08:40-09:20 Canal Boat ride

09:40-11:10 Inside visit to the State Hermitage Museum (early entrance)

11:15-12:10 Inside visit tothe Gold Room

12:40-13:40 Lunch

14:00-14:40 A guided tour of the Saint Isaac's Cathedral

15:00-16:00 Inside visit to Faberge Museum

16:30-17:00 Inside visitto Spilt Blood Cathedral

18:00 Back to ship with Matrioshka souvenir shop on route

19:30 Dinner – O’Sheehans or Garden Buffet

21:00 Russian Folkdance & Folkloreshow

July 5, Wednesday

06:30 Breakfast – Garden Buffet

07:30 Start of the tour. Highlights drive tour, photo stop near Grand Choral

Synagogue

08:30-10:00 Drive to Pushkin

10:00-11:30 A guided tour of the Catherine Palace with Amber room. Inside visit to

the observation deck with vodka tasting

12:00-13:00 Lunch

13:00-14:00 Drive to Peterhof – the Russian Versailles

14:00-15:30 Walk through Upper Park to Fountain park

15:30-16:00 Hydrofoil to St-Petersburg

16:20-16:40 Inside visit to Peterand Paul Fortress

17:00 Return to the ship

20:30 Dinner - Savour

[The following photo of the wall relief was taken on the canal tour in Saint Petersburg. There are a lot of "pretier" pictures I could have used as a visual introduction to Russia, but his picture tells a much broader story of the dreams of the power of revolution and decades of Soviet domination.]

enhance

Edited by Travel R

Did anyone else notice that the photo I took of a store with the long name happens to be a cruise/travel agency?

I did notice that! But I think I have you beat with longest word (taken 8 months ago at Te Puia, Rotorua, New Zealand)... :cool:

20161223_181500.jpg.0659696246b3d83f832b2da68e1a1183.jpg

I did notice that! But I think I have you beat with longest word (taken 8 months ago at Te Puia, Rotorua, New Zealand)... :cool:

Whooooah, that word is longer than most sentences. Very cool - thanks for sharing. NZ must have been beautiful. It is on my bucket list.

Whooooah, that word is longer than most sentences. Very cool - thanks for sharing. NZ must have been beautiful. It is on my bucket list.

New Zealand was amazing, and I have my doubts if any of my other travels will ever top it. It was not a cruise, so I won't bore everyone here with the details, but was exciting and adventure-heavy (kayaking, rafting, hiking, Zorbing, etc). One cruise-related thought though, my in-laws traveled with us for two weeks, and after our departure they stayed and did a cruise that started in Auckland, then wrapped around both NZ islands before heading west to Tasmania and ending in Sydney. It is a great way to get around, but you will miss a lot of inland features which is where we ultimately spent most of our time. If you were set on cruising, I would recommend combining that with many land tour days as well (although done DIY imo).

If you are ever planning to travel there, I highly recommend it and would be happy to share info from my extensive planning. (I may also be OCD/AR in that regard!) Save for one small glitch, two weeks went off without a hitch. (Hertz decided to close at Noon on our first day when we had scheduled a 2:30pm rental car pickup, leaving us scrambling to find an alternative in the busiest part of the year. <GRRRR> Seriously?!?!?!) I decided there was so much to do and didn't want to spend the whole time driving, so we only covered the North Island, and plan to return some day soon for the South.

But for now, I am looking toward cruising the Baltics! (after I recover from Amsterdam, Brussels, and Oktoberfest next month.) Looking forward to the rest of your review!

--TW

VENICE OF THE NORTH (SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA)

We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.” [Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace]

Russia in the Morning

enhance

Since we departed the post-medieval port in Estonia, each nautical mile brings us closer to jewel of the Baltic itinerary – a country and city that is shrouded in mystery, full of romance, and has a long history of both glory and treachery. Referred to as the Venice of North because of the untold beauty of its architecture, it is to be where we shall next make landfall.

enhance

The excitement, being too much for me to contain, was the pretext that set the stage for my early rise. In the early hours just north of four, thin blades of sunlight were already forcing their way around the gaps of the window’s heavy drapery. Clothed only in my nightwear of basketball shorts and light t-shirt,I grabbed my gray hooded sweatshirt and camera, and then quietly made my way out to the balustrade as to not awaken the trio of sleeping beauties whom still had an hour until their peaceful slumber was to come to an end. I was pleased to have taken some outerwear, since the cold of the Russian morning blew upon me in the al fresco upon the open water. It was not a vast sea that I beheld.Seafaring vessels could be seen to all sides, including a convoy of cruisers heading into the former Soviet port.

enhance

Small islands dotted the landscape of the dark blue waters. Some islets contained structures, including one with an old fort or military complex and a nearby lighthouse [note: it is a guess on my part as to its purpose], which we had come into view as we traversed towards our impending destination for the next two days.

enhance

enhance

It was the cold that I expected as we came nearer to port – the same northern winds that may have touched the skins of my long departed ancestors, which during the depth of long winter permeated even the thickest hide. The sights before me were not as I had expected. From my perspective the view could have been that of many cities around the world. Buildings, industrial complexes, construction projects, and even a stadium were visible to the eye. There was no indication of the pre-revolution Russia we were going to see in the guidebooks, nor the Soviet oppressed architecture. It was nothing but a vanilla-variety port, which looked glum under the dark skies.

enhance

The place we were to be docked for the following two days was the former fortress and hamlet of Nyenschantz, which has since undergone a multitude of changes over the centuries in both its politics and architecture. It has been a city that has been shown favor by royalty, and in contrast has also been ravaged by the tides of war.

At half past the hour of five, the alarm sounded, awakening the cabin. [Note: we set up an automatic wake-up call on the stateroom phone. It is one of button options on the face of the phone itself.] At first we allowed our younger members to awaken slowly, but we were now racing against time. We were to meet our excursion comrades at 7:15 in the A-M, so we may make egress from the ship as one cohesive unit.

It quickly became evident that we were limited to only two options if we were to nourish ourselves before beginning our journey. Although I had to offer option number one to my family, I knew it would be negated the moment it was mentioned – that of course, was the Garden Buffet. [Note: once again, food is subjective. There are many people that love the buffet and that is where their journey has led them. It is just not our preference.] The second option, which was also a sound choice logistically, was to use the Getaway’s “Express Breakfast” option in the room utilized as Moderno in the evenings. This offering was a buffet, and with a much limited variety of food items – and very few hot dishes. However, the greatest attraction for us, was that it was not very crowded. No large crowds to weave through, no long lines, and many open tables available [note: patrons were also dining in the space for Cagney’s, since there were plenty of tables available there as well]. [Also note: Room service is available in the morning, but there is a chance that it may not arrive on time – and that is a chance we were not willing to take.]

My crew dressed, packed our equipment for the day (layers of clothing, rain jackets, protein bars & snacks, Visitor Visa for Russia, wallets, cameras, etc. - all crammed into my one backpack), and left the room knowing we would not be returning for the remainder of the day. We made our way down to Moderno, which was not only the venue we chose to dine, but it is also where we were to meet the other members of our group. Eating and meeting at Moderno also had what was to be an unexpected third benefit (not counting chairs to sit while waiting, and rest rooms directly outside its exit) – the exit ramp to Saint Petersburg was located only a few short floors below the steps outside of that very same restaurant.

THE FOLLOWING INCLUDES A HUGE TIP FORDEPARTING IN SPB

Our travel-mates, being of very intelligent ilk themselves, had also taken the Express Breakfast route, and we bumped into most of them while satisfying our own hunger. We assembled at the allotted time, walked down a flight of stairs or two and came abruptly to a halt by the crowd of other passengers already waiting to depart to their own places in the great beyond. As we formed the queue, an announcement was made that the ship had cleared customs and not to line up at the ramp until they provided notice. Our rebellious American and Canadian clan ignored their rescript, and held fast to our advanced positions. Once the loudspeakers blared the go ahead for departure, we quickly moved off of the gang plank, across the short marina, and onto the line for customs. The lines for customs were short when we arrived, and each of our groups assembled ourselves in different lines. The agents were not very quick in processing each passenger, but it was no more than twenty minutes that passed before our entire fourteen made our way onto Russian soil. [Note: some lines allowed children to go with parents, in others (such as ours), the children had to go before the custom's agent by themselves.]

We quickly made our way to the parking lot where our chariot for the next two days awaited us, and the tour guide commented that she did not think we would have been out so fast.

Next Up: Selecting a Tour Guide for Saint Petersburg – Our Experience

Edited by Travel R

Travel R, thank you for sharing these time saving tips. I will be on the Getaway next month, and have been researching for the trip over at the Ports of Call forums. Several posters have mentioned that starting in 2018 in SPB, it will be official policy that cruiseline excursions groups will be allowed to disembark over those booked with private tour groups.

This is not my information, just passing along what I have recently read:

http://guidetopetersburg.com/new-disembarkation-rules-st-petersburg-cruise-port-for-2018-navigation/

Worse yet, it appears they (cruiseline?) seem to be testing out this 2018 policy on the more recent cruises. People have reported been turned away at the gangway if not booked through the ship.... again, don't know how true or not these reports are.

It's actually bad news for me... as I've booked the SPB tour through private company as well :(

Thank you so much for providing this information and article - it is great for all of the readers of this thread.

But WOW. I mean WOW.

I do have a number of issues with this article. The article reads: "Despite a good infrastructure of the port and sufficient amount of immigration control desks, it often happens that passengers are forced to stay in long queues to come out of the terminal." From what I experienced, it was the time spent at the immigration control desks that was the problem for the slow down. The person I had took as much time with me as they had taken with my DD12. In my opinion their proposal will not speed up the process since they will still have the same number of control agents (which is not sufficient), it will just place the private excursion passengers in the back of the line.

It also stated that "Vehicles of tour operators cause traffic jams in front of the terminal." Maybe it was because we were early, but in no way did I see traffic jams at our terminal either before or after. Coming back one day we had to take detour due to construction - but it had nothing to do with too many tour buses.

I believe that this move has nothing to do with trying to streamline the process - it has to do with cruise line money talking louder than the small private tour operators.

It is the cruise ships that are paying the money for docking at these ports, so it was the cruise lines (IMO) that had the port shift their policies. The ships make so much money on these excursions. The cruise lines charge a premium over the price of the private tours for seeing less sites, with more people in each individual tour, and without any flexibility. Not only do they charge a premium, but one would have to also believe that the cruise lines are paying a bulk price for the fees per each passenger.

Since it is the port that is making these changes, and not the cruise lines (although they are behind it, and the reason for the change), they will disavow all blame by telling passengers that "it is not our fault, it is the policy of the port.:

I do not know why, since I have already taken this cruise, and does not affect me, but this really got my goat.

Now, the big question is: Would I still chose a private tour if I knew I was going to be pushed to the back for disembarking?

YES - I would still take the Private Tour for a number of reasons:

• Price - NCL's "Best of Saint Petersburg" is $479/pp, which does not even include all of the things we saw on our tour for a little over $310 - and our price included the Gold Room. The thing is that although passengers are paying $479 to NCL, NCL is probably paying $250-$300 per person to the tour group they hire - and making $200 per person for setting up the tour.
  • The Gold Room - If you are going to SPB, and visiting the Hermitage, it is a must do. I did not see this listed as an option on any of the NCL tours.
  • Flexibility - WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) with the cruise ship tour - but you can make most private tours more flexible. For instance, members of our group wanted to see the Grand Choral Synagogue, so we were able to modify the plans. The Gold Room was also something we added to our original itinerary.
  • Smaller groups - Smaller groups make visiting some of the sites more accomidating - the tour guide will not be in one room while half the group are still looking at the prior room. There is also an intimacy with the smaller group that you will not get on a tour bus of 50.
  • More attractions and things to do - With the smaller private tours, we got to do things like go down to the Metro, take a canal tour, and a hydrfoil - to name a few.
  • Speed Pass - With the smaller private tours we were able to move right into all of the various sites. There were HUGE lines at almost everywhere we visited, but we were able to zoom right in. We did see a number of the big tour groups on line (identified by the names on the paddles held by their tour guides), which we passed right on by.
  • Teens and Tweens - I believe, based on large bus tours we have been on in the past, that my kids prefer the smaller, more intimate setting of the smaller private tour. They feel that they are more a part of the tour as opposed to someone on the fringes.
  • Later start? No worries - Even with the later start, it should not affect the private tours that much. The early admission to the Hermitage would most likely be on the second day of the cruise (this policy only applies to the first day), but all other locations should still be fine - although maybe a later return on day 1. The later start would also allow for a more leisurely breakfast on the first day in SPB.

Caveat - if this does take root and hold, expect to see it being implemented in other ports around the world. The cruise industry makes a lot of money on excursions, and if they can monopolize on the port opportunities for all of their passengers, it is just more money in their pockets.

enhance

Edited by Travel R