Holland America Cabana Help!?

JMDJ78

Hubby and I are on Westerdam for Panama Canal for my 40th in March 2018 for my 3rd HA cruise, his 2nd. I'm looking into and contemplating Cabanas. We have booked a Signature Suite so have a balcony which will obviously be covered. These are the old Deluxe Verandahs right? Is there a real benefit to the cabana's? Is it one glass of sparkling wine per guest per day or are they more generous? Been quoted retreat $599 and family retreat $849 for the voyage (15nts). I figured out a glass of sparkling each per day would be about $210 total for the cruise. Water and other items on the list are great but strawberries pointless as I am allergic. Trying to decide if the $400 on top of what we might pay for wine is worth doing?

We are seasoned Cunarders so are not used to the package world that is available on Holland! Seems without a whirlpool or pool in the vicinity it may not be?

Would you bother with the 'new' Cabanas on Westerdam for Panama Canal? What is the general consensus? We will be ashore on port days so probably wont benefit from the discounted spa services.

Any recommendations? :)

Don't get a cabana just for the wine. They'll refill your glass multiple times, but you really won't break even on the wine and the two bottles of water each day.

With cabanas, you're paying for some private space and the service. My wife and I are big fans of the Retreat Cabanas, but I doubt we'd rent one on the Westerdam. We just don't like the configuration.

Your Signature Suite is larger than a deluxe veranda. It's about half again as wide.

Thank you!!

Are the cushioned loungers that are in the retreat only in the retreat?

We have 6 sea days in total out of the 15 nights. I booked a guarantee SY grade so fingers crossed we'll get higher!! ��

The regular lounge chairs aren't padded like the ones in the Retreat. They're not uncomfortable, but they are not as deluxe as the ones in the Retreat.

Our cabana guys took our lunch orders each day and delivered lunch to us in our cabana. They'll also deliver drinks from the Crow's Nest and glasses of water, lemonade, iced tea and other free beverages.

In addition to the sparkling wine and two daily bottles of water, you'll also get a small battery powered fan and a few Evian misters. Probably not $600 worth though.

The Westerdam does not have a table and chairs in the regular cabana, which is one of the deal breakers for me.

1ffb025ef4fe14421f3a1206479207fb.jpg

Check out this tread -- loungers are not inside the cabanas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2512744&highlight=Westerdam+Retreat

Good suggestion. There are some good, current photos towards the end of the thread. The family cabanas have inside lounges. The others have lounge chairs on the "porch" which is "enclosed" by the "shrubberies."

We are renting the Family retreat cabana on our upcoming Oct. 5th Panama Canal Trip. We were quoted $899 for the 16 day cruise. To me this is a bargin considering what I will pay for everything else.

They rent very similar cabanas at Harrah's around the pool and they rent for $500 a day.

Having my own private shade and never having to worry about getting a lounge chair makes it worth it to me.

Search "images" on google and it may help you make your decision. We are on Nieuw Amsterdam and we can eat dinner from the Tamarind in our cabana. I'm looking forward to the cabana above everything else.

Do I sound a bit biased?

We are on Nieuw Amsterdam and we can eat dinner from the Tamarind in our cabana. I'm looking forward to the cabana above everything else.

Do I sound a bit biased?

The cabana attendants only work until 5. You can have lunch in your cabana, bit I'm not sure if you get dinner served there.

The cabana attendants only work until 5. You can have lunch in your cabana, bit I'm not sure if you get dinner served there.

Good point....lol Guess I will just have to settle for lunch ;)

Good point....lol Guess I will just have to settle for lunch ;)

Not to worry. It's a very nice lunch. My only recommendation is to avoid having pizza brought up to your cabana. It (pizza) doesn't travel well. If you want pizza, go and eat it near the pizza station.

These are the old Deluxe Verandahs right?

Your Signature Suite is larger than a deluxe veranda. It's about half again as wide.

Signature Suites are half again as wide as Verandah cabins--not Deluxe Verandah cabins. The old Deluxe Verandah cabins were renamed Neptune Suites.