Tripoli - Libya

sugarbabe61

Waterbug1,

If you have not been to Malta before, I have a suggestion. Be on the Bow end of the ship as you approach and enter the port. On several decks you can get a clear view from the bow - outside or from the Crow's nest. The entry to the harbor is a Kodak Moment - both sides of the entry way as you approach it. (Not as spectacular from the side of the ship entering port.)

Just my thoughts.

I stand behind my recommendation about being on deck (bow) when approaching Malta. I do want to explain it better though.

There are many beautiful ports to sail into, examples: San Francisco sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, Vancouver sailing under the Lion's Gate Bridge, the Sydney Harbor, etc. However the setting of the Malta Harbor is unique in that both sides of the mouth of the harbor are lined with massive, many stories high old British fortifications from the past. It is a unique entry and I think quite beautiful in its own way. It is the only port I have seen such a view, and I have been to many of them. I do recomend being on deck - I plan to to be for my upcoming third sailing to Malta. However, it is different from what you might have expected from what I said.

wander,

It was so very nice of you to write me your expanded explanation. I am looking forward to Malta more than ever. After reading your initial recommendation about the "sail in", I went on the Europe CC board and started to research Malta. There were a good many people who echo your sentiment about being on deck when sailing into Malta. Many stated that it was a high point in their cruise. Thank you again, so much for the tip.:D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Anyone have any information if HAL, or any line, will be cancelling scheduled stops in Libya for the 2007 season?

It would appear that several late summer and fall 2006 stops were cancelled completely.

2. If a stop in Libya does go ahead, what about visas for Canadians? How far ahead will a cruise line let the passengers know whether a stop is cancelled or whether a visa will need to be acquired?

Thanks for any information for 2007 cruises.

Wev are scheduled to stop in Tripoli in April on HAL Prinsendam. As of today, it has not been pulled from the itinerary. It could be at anytime even while we are onboard.(as could any port)

I understand that visas will be purchased on the ship. If you find out any info., please post here. Thanks.

BTW, if you are going on the Prinsendam - Mar. 12 - go to our roll call !

Wowzo:

Thanks for your information.

We aren't on your Prinsendam cruise but later.

As the Prinsendam cruise is the first one of the season scheduled to stop in Libya, you should be informed first by HAL what is happening.

Obviously, this port is a question mark: we would prefer Malta, as it is certainly more "user-friendly"!

As to visas, would you have to purchase a visa if not getting off the ship? Would the visa be included in the price of the shore excursion?

If any information comes my way, I will certainly post here immediately. I suspect I will have to email HAL about this, as it is really messing up my research and planning!

I do hope you will be hearing soon, or at least by a month out.

Thanks if you could also post anything you learn.

Hey Coconut -As I understand HAL's shore excursion dept, the only people allowed to get off (if they do stop there) are people on organized tours and no one can just get off to do anything on their own. So-not getting off-no visa needed. also, if you have an Israel stamp on your passport - no getting off at all.

The research & planning are not needed-if you are on a tour, they will explain everything . If not on a tour, a day on the ship !!

As our cruise is also going to Malta - I want them to substitute Egypt for Libya (if needed) but it would most likely be Tunis:mad: .

I'll let you know the latest as I learn of it.

M.A.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, MaryAnn, for posting about the itinerary change.

Considering last year's cancellations of Libya, this is what we expected.

So sorry that you didn't get Egypt as you would have liked. That would have been quite a bonus! We are hoping to get Malta, but would be happy with Tunisia, Olympia or Crete, which seem to be the possibilities for our particular cruise.

Would you tell us how you were informed about the change?

On our Roll Call board, one of the other cruisers heard from her TA, then another called her TA and was told that yes, no Libya but not 100% sure on Tunesia, she would have been notified when alternate was definite.

I, however, have not been notified yet and itinerary on HAL's site has not been changed, yet.

When I'm sure of the alternate port, I'll let you know (we're already going to all your alternates, ex. Tunesia) So we'll see, M.A.

We had 2 shore ex. listed and they were taking the reservations. Then overnight they were gone and some TA's were notified to call their clients.

Now on to Tunisia - but any port could be cancelled for whatever reason - so far Tripoli has been the only one.

M.A.

Hello!

I will be on the Rotterdam with the scheduled Libya port. I keep seeing that Tunisia might be swapped in and after the word Tunisia is a "Frowning (not smiley) Face". Why? Does Tunisia, for lack of a better term...suck?

And why would any cruise line, with a port as difficult to obtain visas in and unfriendly to 1/2 the passengers [Americans] as Libya, stop there in the first place? {Badly constructed sentence....but you get the idea!} I have heard that Americans are often denied at the last minute going on the shore excursions they have booked.

HLR

I made the frowning face because the substitute port (Tunis) was not in my top 5 of subs. Tunis might be OK and I'm glad to be on this cruise but going all that way to that area without going to Egypt is just second-rate.

Tunis might be perfectly fine, just not a first - choice destination, IMO.

I think HAL does try to include new ports, such as Tripoli, because alot of people who cruise like to go to unusual ports and like to be the 'first' someplace. As a cruiseline with people from all over the world, they should include such ports. BTW, the U.S. is planning on normalizing relations and opening an Embassy there in the near future. Libya has to fulfill some requirements first. They probably have not fulfilled all yet, so our stop was canelled.

Enjoy, M.A.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sailing on the Rotterdam May 14th that had a scheduled stop in Tripoli May 18th. According to the HAL website it has been cancelled with stops in Messina and Naples instead with one less sea day. No alternate port in Africa.

Hi all!

As of today, February 27, 2007.....just off the phone with an Holland America agent....the Rotterdam's April 5th sailing is still scheduled to stop in Tripoli, Libya.

She confirmed other sailings had itinerary changes and it changes day to day with the political climate.

Interwesting!

Howard

PS...Yes, "a' sounds better before Holland America than "an", but what can you do? English!

Archived