Egg drop activity, still around?

land lover

I love this and usually get it thru the hoop. I guess all that wasted time in study hall as a child perfecting my design has finally paid off :)

For the cost of one ream of paper Princess sure packs the atrium with a crowd, everyone really enjoys watching and cheering the paper planes.

The few times I participated in this the paper used was already printed one side....so really it costs them just time of the staff. Sometimes the simplest games where everyone can participate with no previous sign ups can bring joy to "the crowd."

Good for you...making it thru the hoop, I think I have only been successful one time.

It's called fun!!! And it takes some very ingenious ideas to get that raw egg to stay whole!!

I won the event on a cruise a while back. About twelve participants entered the event. Only two eggs were successfully dropped, mine and another guy and in the deciding loudest applause from the crowd mine seemed significantly more popular. The technique I used was to get hold of a huge melon, cut it in half and hollow out an egg sized bit in the middle. Finally I sellotaped the two halves together and hid it in a carrier bag until I was hanging over the balcony letting it fall out the bag. I even stretched up a bit higher! One hell of a mess resulted as anticipated.

The next day people started to call me "Melon Man"

Lol John

I won the event on a cruise a while back. About twelve participants entered the event. Only two eggs were successfully dropped, mine and another guy and in the deciding loudest applause from the crowd mine seemed significantly more popular. The technique I used was to get hold of a huge melon, cut it in half and hollow out an egg sized bit in the middle. Finally I sellotaped the two halves together and hid it in a carrier bag until I was hanging over the balcony letting it fall out the bag. I even stretched up a bit higher! One hell of a mess resulted as anticipated.

Lol John

What exactly are the rules to this contest???

What exactly are the rules to this contest???

Basically, the ents team give a written list of rules and time/date for the drop. Certain manufactured products were banned such as bubblewrap! You have to drop a raw egg from the top level of the atrium to the lowest level where it hits the deck. You can use padding to protect egg. Alternatively parachutes and strings or whatever you think will let the egg drop safely and not be cracked or smashed when it lands. So you need to plan your construction over the next few days then try out your system.

Regards John

The few times I participated in this the paper used was already printed one side....so really it costs them just time of the staff. Sometimes the simplest games where everyone can participate with no previous sign ups can bring joy to "the crowd."

Good for you...making it thru the hoop, I think I have only been successful one time.

I think I'm 4 for 5 with my one miss by about two inches but the plane flew across the atrium and almost the length of the art gallery lol

Basically, the ents team give a written list of rules and time/date for the drop. Certain manufactured products were banned such as bubblewrap! You have to drop a raw egg from the top level of the atrium to the lowest level where it hits the deck. You can use padding to protect egg. Alternatively parachutes and strings or whatever you think will let the egg drop safely and not be cracked or smashed when it lands. So you need to plan your construction over the next few days then try out your system.

Regards John

NO bubble wrap ! :( That's a change I haven't see before.

Seems unfair. :')

Thanks everyone who has posted because I will now take this "foam hand" with me. On our Majestic cruise they had some prizes I had not seen before, don't know if they purchase them specifically for this ship. But they were a new medal water bottle, a string back back, a journal book and the foam hand all items had the princess sea witch on them.

BTW..... The livery on the ship was beautiful in person...I really though I would not like it but was pleasantly surprised.

On the same Majestic cruise, DH came back to the cabin withthe blue journal bookie thingy after a trivia win. First time we've seen this as a prize. Didn't see the giant foam hand though...you must have been “eggstatic”.

Sorry, someone had to say it.:D

NO bubble wrap ! :( That's a change I haven't see before.

Seems unfair. :')

When I do the activity with my high school physics classes (as part of their unit on energy and momentum), they're issued ten sheets of paper, ten popsicle sticks, ten rubber bands, and a glue gun and given 45 minutes to construct a device to protect their egg. (They also have to be able to get their egg in and out of the device within 15 seconds.) I've had any number of students build paper and popsicle stick devices that can protect raw eggs even when dropped two stories on to concrete!

This trick is to construct a multi-layered airbag that can collapse and absorb the energy while increasing the time for the impact, thus reducing the force on the egg.

Lol John

How clever and entertaining you are. Once a women took about ten biscuits and used them as her cushion , it worked.