Rio de Janeiro disembarkation timeline

baltic17

We are arriving in Rio on HAL Zaandam on 1 November 2017. Looking for a rough estimate of how long it generally takes the ship to get cleared and for passenger disembarkation as I am trying to arrange tours for our several days in Rio after the cruise.

Can I make it to my hotel in Copacabana by 1030?

We disembarked in Rio on January 4, 2017 (so we were not the first ship of the season) on the Caribbean Princess. We were warned by many staff that the Brazilians have a terrible reputation for disembarkation and they were true to form. The authorities were more than an hour late showing up, they brought unannounced public health inspectors (Princess had notified them 2 days prior that there had been cases of influenza on board and the Brazilian authorities hadn't even acknowledged the message) who insisted that no one could disembark until the most recent 10 cases were interviewed in person (I happened to be in the med center for an unrelated problem and watched all this unfold) so they had to be rounded up and sent to the medical unit. Finally disembarkation that was supposed to start around 6:30 or 7 began closer to 9 am. Once off the ship we were in long lines outdoors - on a day that the thermometer hit 110 degrees! - until going into the luggage building then back out (if I remember correctly) before entering the immigration building and winding thru a long line before getting to the inspectors. We didn't get to the taxi stand until after 10 am. We had a 10:30 tour that I had to cancel when disembarkation hadn't even started by 8:30 am. On a more positive note, we did notice that they were working on a new building so maybe this year the process will be more efficient (but I wouldn't count on it!).

We (a group of 4) did have two nice (but incredibly hot) days in Rio followed by two amazing days at Iguazu Falls so the crappy disembarkation process was worth it. We just wished we hadn't missed our Eat Rio walking tour -- we were looking so forward to it.

hello baltic......depending the inmigrations process you could be at 10.30....mains points of interes are Christ Redeemer at Corcovado forest, the Sugarloaf mountain at Guanabara Bay,,,,the Selaron Stairs,,,,the Cathedral,,,,the Maracana Soccer Stadium,,,,the beach of Copacabana and Ipanema Beach,,,,full day tours to Buzios Beach,,,,or full day tour to Angra dos Reis Beach,,best regards

• 4 weeks later...