Hurricane irma....ugh

I'm on hold right now to find out if I can switch my cruise (Carnival Splendor) from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Mobile, AL.....leaving same day (Sept 9). I'm afraid they are going to make me wait though until they officially cancel the Ft. Lauderdale cruise :(

Did the let you switch? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Did the let you switch? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

No....I've gotta wait until Carnival officially cancels the Splendor (I didn't purchase trip insurance), which will probably happen tomorrow at their 1 pm update. Then I have to call back; can switch then for no fee.

No....I've gotta wait until Carnival officially cancels the Splendor (I didn't purchase trip insurance), which will probably happen tomorrow at their 1 pm update. Then I have to call back; can switch then for no fee.

Some of the other cruises we were looking at for the same week to reschedule have already sold out now with other people switching. I didn't purchase insurance either but the website stated we could take a credit to apply to a future cruise.

Just checked the Port Canaveral website and saw the notice copied below about parking. What does Carnival expect folks who planned to drive (and thus need to park) do? I hope this is an indication that our 9/9 cruise on the Magic will be cancelled.

Hurricane Irma Port Canaveral Cruise Terminal Parking Message:

Due to the potential impacts that Hurricane Irma may have on the East Central Florida region, all reservations for parking at Port Canaveral Cruise Terminals between Wednesday, September 6, 2017 and Sunday, September 10, 2017 will be cancelled.

Anyone who has paid online will be given a full refund to the form of payment provided. This refund should be received within seven days. Emails will be sent out today, to all reservations, with this information.

I do some international shipping in my job and just got a memo from our main freight forwarder:

"Port closures are already ineffect, with Miami closed Thursday 9/7 until Monday, 9/11, Tampa closed 9/7until Tuesday, 9/12, and San Juan, PR closed until further notice."

Obviously the container port and cruise port are much different but this is interesting how cargo is being treated now vs humans.

Just received a message from Carnival BDM . The Carnival Conquest sailing is cancelled and email says it can't get back into port Saturday . Praying everyone is safe ....

Subject:
URGENT: Carnival Conquest Seminar At Sea Saturday Sept 9, 2017

Date:
September 6, 2017 at 7:58:40 PM ADT

Good Evening Everyone,

Please note we are cancelling the Conquest sailing for Sept 9th as the ship will not be able to return to Port Of Everglades for this Saturday due to Hurricane Irma, therefore, I’m sad to announce we have to cancel our seminar at sea.

The safety of our guests and crew is priority for us and therefore, and I hope you understand. We will issue a full refund to you in the next week or two.

Thank you for your understanding and I hope to see you onboard soon in the near future.

Have a fabulous evening and stay safe!

Warm Regards,

Marilisa De Simone

Just received a message from Carnival BDM . The Carnival Conquest sailing is cancelled and email says it can't get back into port Saturday . Praying everyone is safe ....

Subject:
URGENT: Carnival Conquest Seminar At Sea Saturday Sept 9, 2017

Date:
September 6, 2017 at 7:58:40 PM ADT

Good Evening Everyone,

Please note we are cancelling the Conquest sailing for Sept 9th as the ship will not be able to return to Port Of Everglades for this Saturday due to Hurricane Irma, therefore, I’m sad to announce we have to cancel our seminar at sea.

The safety of our guests and crew is priority for us and therefore, and I hope you understand. We will issue a full refund to you in the next week or two.

Thank you for your understanding and I hope to see you onboard soon in the near future.

Have a fabulous evening and stay safe!

Warm Regards,

Marilisa De Simone

And nothing from Carnival

I have mixed emotions. I was so looking forward to this vacation. We were driving over to Orlando and doing Disney's and Universal's Halloween parties .....

I have been on a cruise in bad weather and it wasn't pleasant. Although I had no motion sickness, everyone around me did . I was dodging vomit on the floors in the halls, the elevators and witnessed people vomiting in the dining room and coming out with barf bags.....

So really, had we gone , the seas would have been rough. God knows, the storm hasn't even hit and it could easily shift position and head in the direction we were diverting too ....

We are a alive and breathing. Those beautiful Islands we love and treasure.....are destroyed. Their people so poor to begin with and whose top industry is tourism , can no longer depend on it for God knows how long ....:(:loudcry:

At least we are given the opportunity dodge this . Those people didn't !