Hurricane irma....ugh

We are very worried. Our wedding is this Friday and then we are sailing Saturday to the Bahamas for our honeymoon.:loudcry: Hoping to hear soon if the cruise is canceled or rerouted.

Congratulations on your wedding! My heart breaks for you about your honeymoon though. Best wishes for a good outcome. You deserve a memorable honeymoon for all the right reasons. :) :) Thinking about you and hoping for a great outcome!

Honestly, I need more than 2 days notice to make arrangements.
And that's a reason some folks give for avoiding cruising at this time of year: The cruise lines are simply not going to give us that much advance notice about something that is so far from absolutely certain earlier than that.

I am just referring to the whole panic now that a hurricane is going to hit, with everyone wondering what will happen to them, their cruises, their money (if no insurance) and I'm stating a fact: you book during hurricane season, this is the risk you take. I'm sorry if you are all up in arms and don't want to hear this, but it happens. Hurricanes hit, and cruises get cancelled.
And we need to all remember this for next year, and the year after that. We need to make sure we're prepared for what some folks are experiencing this year.

Well then, it looks like I was given wrong information and we can't add it... crap

The latest you can add Insurance is 14 days prior to sailing, I called to ask since we are suppose to sail out of Fort Lauderdale the 9th on the Conquest. I really hope they cancel and credit us, I am driving 13hrs Friday and i'm afraid they will cancel last minute and I get stuck in the Hurricane either way. I really hope the hurricane just dies in the ocean or curves out to sea..

If you take a look at the 6pm 18z gfs run you will see why carnival is "holding out" on weekend cruises. Based off this run very little interaction with Fla. don't know if you could leave Saturday but would def be ok Sunday. Irma crushes NMB and Wilmington on this run. Although it's just one run it's similar to the early runs on Irma 3-4 days ago. This is why the decision is so difficult this far out.

Geez....just cancel the dang cruise and rebook...IF you were smart enough to by the insurance then you have no worries....IF you didn't by the insurance, just go down to Florida, but please stop and buy a waterproof black Sharpie and write your name, SS#, and next of kin telephone # on your arm when you end up hurt or worse yet dead!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Honestly, I need more than 2 days notice to make arrangements. Its a group of 20 of us. If possible we would like to book another cruise leaving around the same timeframe from somewhere else since so many preparations have been made for us to go on this cruise. Does anyone know what other ports we could leave from?

No that’s not how that works. Ships sail full. No room for 20 more people on probably any of them

Noooooo! :eek: I have a condo right between there! I did bring in my patio furniture this AM before I came home, but I did not bother w/ sandbags.

Careful, when you see a post like that it's best to check the current official NHC track at noaa for a reality check. There are many, many different forecast models that do multiple runs, all day & night long. Now that everyday folks have access to these models (thanks internet) they may see a particularly alarming run that is actually a model outlier.

For those of you saying "neener neener I would never book a cruise during hurricane season", go look up the definition of schadenfreude and ask yourself what went wrong in your life.

No that’s not how that works. Ships sail full. No room for 20 more people on probably any of them

I was able to find 4 different cruises (working with a Carnival agent) that are leaving within our timeframe that had enough rooms available to accommodate our group. We are literally just waiting on an update from Carnival to see if they cancel.

My husband and I are also suppose to cruise on the Carnival Magic on Saturday. We live in FL on the west coast so have spent the day getting our home ready for a possible disaster. I will say that this will be my 27th cruise, several during hurricane season and I have never had one canceled. I have missed a port, had an extra day at sea and I have departed a day late. I do not think they will cancel a 7 day cruise...they may say we will sail on Sun or Mon. (At this point any of you who do not want to do a shortened itinerary will be able to get a refund or switch dates) Anytime this has happened in the past they have offered huge on board credits, upgraded cabins and money off your next cruise. I also understand Carnival not making any decisions, as a resident of FL we are being told a different story by every local tv station. I suspect we will get a notice from Carnival within the next 24 hours. Hopefully, I will be able to sail with you all on the Magic next week but most of all I pray that the storm will have mercy on all of us!

Florida is 160 miles wide at its widest point.

Having driven Florida, north to south and east to west, that didn't seem right.

Multiple websites put Florida's widest point at over 300 miles... this one, wikipedia, says 361.

AreaRanked 22nd • Total65,755[3] sq mi

(170,304[3] km2) • Width361 miles (582 km) • Length447 miles (721 km)

Having driven Florida, north to south and east to west, that didn't seem right.

Multiple websites put Florida's widest point at over 300 miles... this one, wikipedia, says 361.

AreaRanked 22nd • Total65,755[3] sq mi

(170,304[3] km2) • Width361 miles (582 km) • Length447 miles (721 km)

Pretty sure he meant the part that doesn't include the Panhandle

Pretty sure he meant the part that doesn't include the Panhandle

A fine example of one of my favorite quotes: "If you torture statistics long enough, they'll do whatever you want."

Remove the widest part of the state to demonstrate it's not wide? That's like kind of like removing Babe Ruth's home runs and saying well he hit a lot of doubles and for a good average, but nothing else." ;p:D

The latest travel alert on Carnival's website is from 9/1 @ 11:30. Does anyone know what it takes for them to update their site? Delay, cancellation, re-routing??

From Carnival website:

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, which is now a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Since the safety and security of our guests and crew are our primary concern, it will be necessary to cancel the following cruises given the projected path of the storm:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your vacation plans. We will automatically process a full refund, including any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three week:

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work on our plans for our other sailings departing from Central and South Florida this weekend. We will provide another update by 1:00 PM tomorrow.

A fine example of one of my favorite quotes: "If you torture statistics long enough, they'll do whatever you want."

Remove the widest part of the state to demonstrate it's not wide? That's like kind of like removing Babe Ruth's home runs and saying well he hit a lot of doubles and for a good average, but nothing else." ;p:D

The dangly part the hurricane is going to hit...