Hurricane irma....ugh

I'm fairly confident that the Victory cruise that's supposed to depart on Friday will be able to do so. Getting back on Monday and flying home is definitely questionable and there's coming a time in which I must decide whether my presence at what is almost certainly going to be a disaster of some scope is really wise. If I had cancel for any reason with my insurance, I think I would be pulling the trigger.

That's what I thought. So this almost surely won't happen:Precisely. As long as everyone understands the risk, and understands that they're taking that risk onto themselves, rather than expecting the cruise line or the airlines or the state or whoever to make up for that risk, then we've served well.

I see very few people actually attacking or placing blame on travelers for choosing to cruise in hurricane season. Rather, I see a lot of travelers running into problems and then trying to attack or place blame on people who aren't taking responsibly for the risk that the traveler decided to take. Sometimes some people just want to hear that their problems are going to be solved by someone else, and hearing anything other than that might seem like an attack or being blamed, but that's just not the case.

That's so strange. I don't see that at all. I see people that are legitimately worried about their cruise and their safety as well as others at home and asking legitimate questions and/or voicing their concerns. The problem is the posters who aren't being affected by this at all are coming on just to pile on and tell everyone how stupid they are. And that there are people who are defending those posters. It's very weird....why even bother with a post that doesn't concern you?

To me even though I am not on a cruise I am still concerned about people on the cruise as well as the land. It affects everyone. I guess the best everyone who has a cruise all they can do is wait it out to see what the cruise line will do if and when it hits. Prayers got out for everyone.

That's so strange. I don't see that at all.
That's so strange. Last week (after Harvey) there were at least a dozen such posts, over-the-top exhortations that the cruise lines (both Carnival and Royal Caribbean) should effectively offer free "Cancel for any Reason" insurance coverage, even though that is something that insurance companies actually charge money for and people actually purchase. You must have missed those posts.

It's very weird....why even bother with a post that doesn't concern you?
Every post concerns everyone interested in a strongly informative Cruise Critic.

Royal Caribbean has already canceled cruises out of Port Canaveral and Miami departing Friday. I hope Carnival makes their decisions and announcements quickly.

The following sailings are canceled:

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation and please know that we made the decision with the safety and comfort of our guests and crew in mind. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

I'm torn on getting to Miami. Supposed to fly in Sat morning 9/9. Do I try to fly in Friday, 9/8? But what if I get there and they cancel the cruise and then I'm stuck in Miami during a hurricane?!? I'm going to wait until Monday or Tuesday and see what it does. #stressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also flying out Saturday morning to Miami to sail on Carnival Glory 9/9. I have contacted the airlines and there is a very good chance flights on Friday will be canceled or delayed. I was told Saturday's flight was a go...so I suppose I will fly out on Saturday. This whole vacation so far has been nerve wrecking! Next time I will make sure I don't book any cruises during hurricane season.

I am also flying out Saturday morning to Miami to sail on Carnival Glory 9/9. I have contacted the airlines and there is a very good chance flights on Friday will be canceled or delayed. I was told Saturday's flight was a go...so I suppose I will fly out on Saturday. This whole vacation so far has been nerve wrecking! Next time I will make sure I don't book any cruises during hurricane season.

So Friday flights will be canceled but Saturday flights won't?!? That seems strange given that Saturday is slated to be worse than Friday.

That's so strange. Last week (after Harvey) there were at least a dozen such posts, over-the-top exhortations that the cruise lines (both Carnival and Royal Caribbean) should effectively offer free "Cancel for any Reason" insurance coverage, even though that is something that insurance companies actually charge money for and people actually purchase. You must have missed those posts.

Every post concerns everyone interested in a strongly informative Cruise Critic.

Not strange at all. I wasn't worried about my cruise then so I saw no reason to look at the boards for the cruises affected by Harvey (why would I?) , and at the very least I certainly wouldn't make derisive comments on what everyone woulda-shoulda-coulda. You kind of made my point for me.

You kind of made my point for me-
Actually you made my point for me. You're opposed to being informative, and anything other that supportive comments in response to the perspective you prefer you perceive as attacks. Message received.

from carnival.com:

SEPTEMBER 5, 2017 – 11:30 AM (EDT)

We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Irma and thus far have made itinerary changes to ensure our ships maintain a safe distance from the storm. In addition we are making preparations for a potential landfall in South Florida. The safety of our guests and team members is our first priority. We will continue to make adjustments as necessary and will provide further updates as they become available.

[/b]

That's so strange. I don't see that at all. I see people that are legitimately worried about their cruise and their safety as well as others at home and asking legitimate questions and/or voicing their concerns. The problem is the posters who aren't being affected by this at all are coming on just to pile on and tell everyone how stupid they are. And that there are people who are defending those posters. It's very weird....why even bother with a post that doesn't concern you?

This 100%!!!! And then justify it by saying they need to educate new cruisers. Do you really think someone reading this post wouldn't get that without any of the rude people lecturing them? If someone reads through this post, and reads all the stress cruisers are going through because of this and still doesn't understand the risks involved in booking a cruise during this time of the year, then they probably won't be able to find the big ship sitting there when they get to the port! No amount of "educating" will help. So stop trying to make yourself feel superior and offer your knowledge and information to those trying to make decisions about their vacation this coming week.

So stop trying to make yourself feel superior and offer your knowledge and information to those trying to make decisions about their vacation this coming week.
No one is making one's self feel superior. We're participating in the forum in the interest of its purpose, even though you would rather have an unrebutted soapbox for your own thoughts. Regardless, the discussion will include comments about when the cruise line/airline/state is actually in the wrong and when the cruise line/airline/state is not in the wrong, even if you only wish to read the former. It almost seems like some people here might prefer posting to a blog than to a discussion forum.

Actually you made my point for me. You're opposed to being informative, and anything other that supportive comments in response to the perspective you prefer you perceive as attacks. Message received.

if you can tell me what is informative about a post that basically says "you are all idiots for planning a cruise in September" I am all ears.

So Friday flights will be canceled but Saturday flights won't?!? That seems strange given that Saturday is slated to be worse than Friday.

Yes, very strange and odd. I am very concerned with this vacation. I have called Carnival everyday to get an update and last night the rep told me that the Glory was sailing on the 9th and that there was no alerts as of last night. (Hello it was a category 4 hurricane last night) Maybe, I am just paranoid but I wish they would just cancel it so I can just re-schedule my cruise. Good luck, on your flight Saturday!

if you can tell me what is informative about a post that basically says "you are all idiots for planning a cruise in September" I am all ears.
Who posted that? Please provide me the link so I can go over and criticize that comment as vigorously as you have.

You may have forgotten what we were discussing:

I see very few people actually attacking or placing blame on travelers for choosing to cruise in hurricane season. Rather, I see a lot of travelers running into problems and then trying to attack or place blame on others who aren't taking responsibly for the risk that the traveler decided to take. Sometimes some people just want to hear that their problems are going to be solved by someone else, and hearing anything other than that might seem like an attack or being blamed, but that's just not the case.

Carnival crews take their "fun ship" reputation seriously. You can either complain about being diverted from a scheduled port or decide to have the time of your life on board. I've experienced that on the Splendor. You are traveling with a good company.

Who posted that? Please provide me the link so I can go over and criticize that comment as vigorously as you have.

I keep reading about everyone's upset comments concerning cancelling cruise, rerouting cruise, worried about homes back home if they cruise, and on and on. I feel bad for you all, but if I've said it once I'll say it again--this is the risk you take by booking during hurricane season. You can defend it all you want, but it is a total waste of money! And a whole lot of pain, worry, and stress. It's great when it works out in your favor, but do really want to risk your hard earned cruised dollars?

I am anxiously awaiting your criticism....

oh goodness. You YOURSELF have said "I see very few people actually attacking or placing blame on travelers for choosing to cruise in hurricane season" so obviously you have seen the posts. I shouldn't have to point them out to you. Perhaps the memory problems are yours?

In any case, I have a cruise this weekend ( and you don't) so I have bigger fish to fry. I actually live in Florida, and have family in Florida, and a cruise leaving Florida so I have a lot more going on than discussing this with someone who just does not get it. Hey, if you think its cool for someone to tell a board full of stressed out people "I told you so", well...you do you.

stop bickering

Yes Mom! In all seriousness though, the cruise that Royal has cancelled is very similar to cruising leaving the same day on the Victory and on the Norwegian Sky. Carnival and NCL will both need to step up with some decisions now that Royal has pulled the trigger.

Royal Caribbean has already canceled cruises out of Port Canaveral and Miami departing Friday. I hope Carnival makes their decisions and announcements quickly.

Me too. I don't think it's a good idea to be encouraging people to come to an area that's going to be hit by a major hurricane.

Interestingly, these are both 3 night cruises.

There's nowhere for them to go and potentially nowhere for them to return to. I'm on Victory out of Miami to Nassau and would be happy with a CTN if it weren't for the worry about the return.