Hurricane irma....ugh

Irma tracks from east to west just north of Puerto Rico and then along most of northern Cuba Thursday and Friday before making a hard right turn towards Florida.

Why comment? Don't want to see uninformed people put at risk like all those trapped at sea last week by Harvey. When I see people asking here if sailing to Cuba is still ok next weekend, they need the answer hell no!

Cruise lines would go out of business if people didn't cruise all year round and who wants to swim or snorkel in January? If you're not booked on a cruise that could be impacted by IRMA, why are you interested in our discussion? It obviously doesn't apply to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And what about flights being cancelled because of blizzards if you do decide to travel in winter? I agree, if you're not affected by this hurricane then keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Forums mobile app

Cruise lines would go out of business if people didn't cruise all year round and who wants to swim or snorkel in January? If you're not booked on a cruise that could be impacted by IRMA, why are you interested in our discussion? It obviously doesn't apply to you.

Not everyone lives in Florida. Us "Northerners" have no issue swimming/snorkeling the Caribbean in January. Our waters don't get that warm anytime of the year here.

Hoping that Irma steers north and away from everything - but it doesn't look good.

I know the *latest* runs look bad but keep in mind we're still a week out. I don't think serious landfall predications will start until tomorrow at the earliest.

True .... but it won't have to be an actual landfall to still have extremely bad tropical storm weather. :eek:

Forecasters tonight are still staying Irma's path is up in the air past Saturday, but tonight the path seems predicted to track anywhere from the Florida panhandle to the east coast. Most computer generated predictions seem to take it over Florida though. So for anyone cruising from a Florida port or nearby, impact seems likely. Hope everyone stays safe.

True .... but it won't have to be an actual landfall to still have extremely bad tropical storm weather. :eek:

I was mostly referring to people who are describing these model forecast runs verbatim as actual landfall tracks.

I agree it's looking grim, and I have skin in the game, both because of where I live and travel plans in the next 14 days. But I've also seen these tracks shift very fast this far out.

Feel bad for anyone with a cruise schedule this weekend or has any interest in Florida. It doesn't look good, yes the peninsula of Florida is not wide but Irma is going to be very big were ever she ends up. If you look at the last several models she engulfs the entire state from east to west with he outer parts in the gulf and Atlantic. Yes the last 3-4 models show a hit on the southern peninsula but she could easily miss either side but that part of the peninsula will still see hurricane conditions due to her size. If you look at the last model Friday is the last chance to get a cruise ship back to port without dealing with the outer parts of Irma. I forsee a situation such as Galveston were these ships are out to see for several days. Evacuating the state of Miami is no easy order. I also see this being bigger than Harvey. I saw an interesting tidbit. Miami Dade county is the seventh biggest county in the US with 2.7 million people. When Andrew hit the population was 800,000. GL to all whether cruising or not.

Actually I have a cruise booked flying out of Minnesota in February. Yes I do know about blizzards. That's why I booked the flight 3 days early. Give the airport staff a couple days to shovel MSP out, dig the planes out of the snowbanks, and still make the cruise. That's good planning.

Book a cruise out of Florida in the heart of hurricane season, not so good planning.

At least go to Wunderground.com and track the storm. Don't believe the smiley faces at the Weather Channel. They don't even show the next three days of Irma's projected track yet. You need to know what is coming.

Actually I have a cruise booked flying out of Minnesota in February. Yes I do know about blizzards. That's why I booked the flight 3 days early. Give the airport staff a couple days to shovel MSP out, dig the planes out of the snowbanks, and still make the cruise. That's good planning.

Book a cruise out of Florida in the heart of hurricane season, not so good planning.

At least go to Wunderground.com and track the storm. Don't believe the smiley faces at the Weather Channel. They don't even show the next three days of Irma's projected track yet. You need to know what is coming.

Who are you talking to? These lecturey posts are confusing.

Edited by perditax

Right now Jacksonville News4jax.com is showing arrival of Irma's "affects" by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. Miami cruises could potentially drop off but could not turn around a new cruise on time. That being said, Ft. Lauderdale is minutes away and any cruises from that port are unlikely as well. Possibly - and this is from someone who SOOOO wants to make my cruise where ever (or nowhere) it may go, they could drop and pick up in Port Canaveral? Tampa? Tampa is risky based on possible projections, but with no real answers, all the FL ports could be risky depending on timing and direction. I mean I live in an evacuation zone, what better place than just take off on a cruise I already paid for !! :-)

Access to Port of Tampa is restricted for larger cruise ships due to their inability to clear the Sunshine Skyway Bridge into Tampa Bay.

Access to Port of Tampa is restricted for larger cruise ships due to their inability to clear the Sunshine Skyway Bridge into Tampa Bay.

We are supposed to fly from NJ to Ft Lauderdale on Thursday n cruise on Splendor on the 9th. Really hoping we can just get on ship. I don't care where it takes us ( other than NY) lol

We're booked on the Liberty leaving PC on 9/7, one stop in the Bahamas on Friday 9/8 and back to PC on Sunday morning 9/10. This seems to be pretty much directy in the path of Irma, For such a short cruise - what are the options? I know, just speculation at this point, but I've pretty much spent all weekend thinking about it.

Feel bad for anyone with a cruise schedule this weekend or has any interest in Florida. It doesn't look good, yes the peninsula of Florida is not wide but Irma is going to be very big were ever she ends up. If you look at the last several models she engulfs the entire state from east to west with he outer parts in the gulf and Atlantic. Yes the last 3-4 models show a hit on the southern peninsula but she could easily miss either side but that part of the peninsula will still see hurricane conditions due to her size. If you look at the last model Friday is the last chance to get a cruise ship back to port without dealing with the outer parts of Irma. I forsee a situation such as Galveston were these ships are out to see for several days. Evacuating the state of Miami is no easy order. I also see this being bigger than Harvey. I saw an interesting tidbit. Miami Dade county is the seventh biggest county in the US with 2.7 million people. When Andrew hit the population was 800,000. GL to all whether cruising or not.

That would be interesting if it was true..... Miami-Dade county was over 1.9 million in the 1990 census. Andrew hit in 1992....

That would be interesting if it was true..... Miami-Dade county was over 1.9 million in the 1990 census. Andrew hit in 1992....

Thanks! Went back and checked the article that was being referenced and it said 800,000 less. I mis read. Thanks for correcting.

Ships due back Saturday and Sunday will most likely not make it back to port... Latest cone of death has South Florida under Tropical Storm conditions by Saturday... Not sure what's the plan for 3 Day cruises this coming Friday, Bahamas will probably be off limits as well as the Florida Keys...

We're booked on the Liberty leaving PC on 9/7, one stop in the Bahamas on Friday 9/8 and back to PC on Sunday morning 9/10. This seems to be pretty much directy in the path of Irma, For such a short cruise - what are the options? I know, just speculation at this point, but I've pretty much spent all weekend thinking about it.

I've accepted that I'm not leaving on that ship on Thursday, but am hoping the cruise line will cancel. My home here will very likely be in a mandatory evac zone, and I'm not leaving my spouse to wrangle the kids while I go alone with my friends on an extended journey of uncertainty.

I'd been most worried logistically about getting back in-and back to the West coast of Florida on Sunday morning. Have heard that we might not hear anything until late Wednesday, and it's very possible they might still go out, and just extend the cruise with a cruise to nowhere. Thank goodness for trip insurance.

Sailing 9/9 out of Miami on Vista .... looking sketchy that far out as well. Hopefully it re-curves back out to sea before getting close enough to the Leeward Islands! :mad:

We are supposed to be on the Vista that day as well. Getting a little nervous. :(

We are supposed to be on the Vista that day as well. Getting a little nervous. :(

With every update, my optimistic light dims a little bit. Now I'm at: "I hope Miami survives and we are just delayed a day and have a fabulous 7 day cruise instead of an 8 day cruise."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With every update, my optimistic light dims a little bit. Now I'm at: "I hope Miami survives and we are just delayed a day and have a fabulous 7 day cruise instead of an 8 day cruise."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I honestly don't even think I have much optimism at this point, considering I'm supposed to be flying down on the 10th and leaving on the 11th on the Victory. Hate not being able to do anything but just wait... wait to see if Carnival cancels/airlines cancel, etc. I have to work the day before I'm supposed to leave, so I don't have much wiggle room at all :(. sigh...

i called about insurance and it has to be booked 14 days prior to cruise start... wouldnt let me book it

I was told a while back by Carnival that you could book it right up until a couple days before.

Crap... I wanted to get it added but kept forgetting... not just for this storm, but in case of medical issues as well... messed up this time.. i have been getting the insurance on my cruises for years... oh well , too late now...

It is still showing up my reservation.. I may try to add it and see what happens...