Hurricane irma....ugh

Hello. I'm new here and we are going on our first cruise next Sunday the 10th, out of Baltimore. I've never paid much attention to hurricanes so don't know much about them. Should we be concerned? We are supposed to go to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

We had that same itinerary last year when Matthew hit. However, we were diverted north to New York City and stayed there for two days, then sailed up and down the Atlantic from NY to Maryland several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

My husband and I have been vacationing in Puerto Rico for the last 11 days. Today the surf here at the hotel , Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar in Dorado, was rough with white caps for most of the day. Otherwise just wonderful & typical late Summer weather.

We've met so many nice people this trip, as well as last August when we vacationed in Fajardo. Hoping & praying the Hurricane dissipates before hitting land.

Bobbi

Hello. I'm new here and we are going on our first cruise next Sunday the 10th, out of Baltimore. I've never paid much attention to hurricanes so don't know much about them. Should we be concerned? We are supposed to go to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Of course you should be concerned, it's your vacation, and I'm sure you've been looking forward to it for awhile.

Keep an eye on the weather, and also on your inbox. Carnival will let you know about any changes they may make to your itinerary. If you booked excursions and you get diverted to other islands, Carnival will refund the money you paid, assuming you booked through Carnival.

Since none of us can change the weather, the best thing you can do is keep a positive attitude, and try to be flexible about your itinerary in case it changes.

Have a great cruise, wherever it takes you!

Since the Weather Channel stopped minute by minute coverage of Harvey, Irma must be jealous! Any word on her prospective path? I know we'll need to wait for next week for a definitive answer, but it looked yesterday like she was offended by all the attention Harvey was getting so was taking her big ole' self north!! One can only hope she sulks all the way into the mid-Atlantic and leaves us all alone!

Since the Weather Channel stopped minute by minute coverage of Harvey, Irma must be jealous! Any word on her prospective path? I know we'll need to wait for next week for a definitive answer, but it looked yesterday like she was offended by all the attention Harvey was getting so was taking her big ole' self north!! One can only hope she sulks all the way into the mid-Atlantic and leaves us all alone!

It's tracking anywhere from the Gulf to Canada. Lol. No lie. We fly down to Miami and board Vista on 9/9. We are watching it CLOSELY. If our flight gets canceled, we miss the cruise. Thought about coming down the night before, but what if THAT's when it comes and THAT flight gets canceled and can't get down Saturday? OR what if we do make it down, but the cruise is canceled? Now we're stuck in Miami during a very powerful hurricane! So many scenarios, it makes my head spin... all we can really do is wait...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we too are flying in from Canada, arriving in Ft Lauderdale Friday the 8th to board Glory on 9th in Miami. Shuttle from Ft laud to miami fri night.

i think we will be ok , its powerful but small, not having much of a radius. Nothing i see so far shows it hitting Florida, i follow this link closely and as of Friday the 8th its still near Dominican

https://www.windy.com/25.796/-80.123?2017-09-08-12,25.231,-80.123,8,m:en8adVC

We r on the same cruise, flying to FLL on Thurs, 2 days of beach and sun pre cruise. Uh-huh..Glued to weather channel and NOAA. If Jim Cantore heads to S Florida, we r doomed! All we can do is sit and wait.

It's tracking anywhere from the Gulf to Canada. Lol. No lie. We fly down to Miami and board Vista on 9/9. We are watching it CLOSELY. If our flight gets canceled, we miss the cruise. Thought about coming down the night before, but what if THAT's when it comes and THAT flight gets canceled and can't get down Saturday? OR what if we do make it down, but the cruise is canceled? Now we're stuck in Miami during a very powerful hurricane! So many scenarios, it makes my head spin... all we can really do is wait...

My husband and I are also boarding the Vista on 9/9.. I have been losing sleep over this dang Irma! We're supposed to fly in the 8th but that's my concern as well... will we get stuck there if the cruise is a no-go? If it makes a hit even near Miami, will Carnival still board us and have us ride it out? I don't want to fly in and get stuck either.. I barely missed Harvey (live south of Corpus Christi) so I don't need to make myself available to irma..

My husband and I are also boarding the Vista on 9/9.. I have been losing sleep over this dang Irma! We're supposed to fly in the 8th but that's my concern as well... will we get stuck there if the cruise is a no-go? If it makes a hit even near Miami, will Carnival still board us and have us ride it out? I don't want to fly in and get stuck either.. I barely missed Harvey (live south of Corpus Christi) so I don't need to make myself available to irma..

I think Mother Nature is gunning for you. If we are able take this trip and another hurricane appears to head for where we end up going, I'm jumping ship. (You have to have a little humor in all of this)

I just read a report today that said IF Irma does impact the US, it will be "late next weekend", whatever that means. I'm crossing my fingers for a hard turn back into the Atlantic, but if it does make landfall, hopefully it will be after we are well on our way southwest....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm supposed to be sailing out of Port Canaveral on the 9th. I'll be bummed if we don't get to but I'm trying not to worry about it since I can't control the weather. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

We cruise out of FLL on the 9th as well

I'm flying down to Ft. Lauderdale on the 10th and boarding the Victory on the 11th. I really hope I'm able to get there and board. I think based on what I'm seeing after that time we should be good to go since the Victory is going to Key West and Cozumel. I just am hoping there isn't an interruption in getting down there >.<

Nonchalantly announced at the end of the muster drill on the Carnival Pride: itinerary change to Charleston SC, Freeport, and, "weather permitting," Nassau (i.e. probably not happening). Oh well. Weather happens and we'll have a good time regardless :). If anyone is wondering, no word on any kind of credit or future discount, but I'll update my post of that changes.

Nonchalantly announced at the end of the muster drill on the Carnival Pride: itinerary change to Charleston SC, Freeport, and, "weather permitting," Nassau (i.e. probably not happening). Oh well. Weather happens and we'll have a good time regardless :). If anyone is wondering, no word on any kind of credit or future discount, but I'll update my post of that changes.

Porting in Charleston? Ick

I also sail Sunday. Don't think Amber Cove next Thursday is happening! I figure there will be an itinerary change - maybe Western instead? As long as the ship sails I'm on vacation and don't care!

Same, I sail out Sat Sept 9.. am very very worried about Irma.. and how it will impact our Eastern cruise.. but I"ll be just happy to be on the ship.. I don't care where she goes..

I have an excursion booked in amber cove through carnival will they refund?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yes.. YES.. if you booked your excur through Carnival, and they miss the port due to weather.. they will reimburse you the price you paid for the excur PLUS a small nominal port fee will be reimbursed to you aswell. :)