Hurricane irma....ugh

I'm supposed to be sailing out of Port Canaveral on the 9th. I'll be bummed if we don't get to but I'm trying not to worry about it since I can't control the weather. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Me too! Fingers crossed!

We leave sunday on the breakaway from NY to Bermuda. Hoping the water stays relatively calm. Otherwise I don't care where the boat goes as long as im not sick from large swells the whole time. I am a littler nervous though

I'm on same cruise!:confused:

I'm scheduled to cruise on Sep 10 on Norwegian Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda. Coincidentally it's my 50th bday that same day.

I hope it doesn't reroute to Canada/New England but if it does we'll have to make the best of it.

Feeling anxious but it could be worse. Think of all those affected by Harvey!

Supposed to be on Magic on the 9th. I am wondering how this is all gonna play out. Will she be able to even make it back to PC on the 9th? If so, will we be able to keep our Western itinerary because of her path? I don't know jack about hurricanes and cruises and being diverted. We leave for our trip tomorrow afternoon and arrive at MCO to enjoy FL for a few days. Super worried about getting there and then being stuck in FL.

This is really stressing me out. The only reason I booked in Sept is because my birthday is 9/10 and I wanted to give myself a cruise as a bday gift.

I know what you mean. This is my first ever real vacation and would be first time I've ever been to a beach and it's all turning to crap. :(

Edited by bdawn8403

Supposed to be on Magic on the 9th. I am wondering how this is all gonna play out. Will she be able to even make it back to PC on the 9th? If so, will we be able to keep our Western itinerary because of her path? I don't know jack about hurricanes and cruises and being diverted. We leave for our trip tomorrow afternoon and arrive at MCO to enjoy FL for a few days. Super worried about getting there and then being stuck in FL.

We are on that same trip. I don't know what to do. Supposed to be driving to Florida on Friday, also kind of nervous about leaving my vehicle parked there if the hurricane does hit Port Canaveral. At this point I'm honestly just hoping they will cancel, I'd rather reschedule than be worried or disappointed about the weather the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on that same trip. I don't know what to do. Supposed to be driving to Florida on Friday, also kind of nervous about leaving my vehicle parked there if the hurricane does hit Port Canaveral. At this point I'm honestly just hoping they will cancel, I'd rather reschedule than be worried or disappointed about the weather the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's why you buy insurance! Let THEM worry!:halo::D

The projections now seem to indicate that September 9 embarkation probably won't be affected, the hurricane not hitting the US mainland until at least that evening, and more likely Sunday or Monday.

I have a question to anyone that has experience in hurricanes.... How far out is the wind shear felt? I'm worried that our flight that morning is going to be canceled due to high winds even though the cruise will still embark normally.

The solution seems to be to try to fly in Friday night, but then what if the hurricane comes earlier and the cruise is delayed or canceled and now I'm stuck in Florida during a hurricane?

Experience has shown that Carnival seems to make very last minute decisions on these things, so I'm trying to look out for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a question to anyone that has experience in hurricanes.... How far out is the wind shear felt? I'm worried that our flight that morning is going to be canceled due to high winds even though the cruise will still embark normally.
The breadth of the storm depends on its strength, location and other factors. It is way to early to tell anything with any level of assurance, but based on my memory of how things have been affected in the past, if the most likely scenario becomes true, we'll see flights in/out of Miami affected starting Saturday afternoon, and flights in/out Orlando affected starting Sunday morning.

The solution seems to be to try to fly in Friday night, but then what if the hurricane comes earlier and the cruise is delayed or canceled and now I'm stuck in Florida during a hurricane?
You'll probably need to make some quick decisions, and you could perhaps benefit from thinking up all the possible scenarios now, and making a preliminary decision for how you'll respond then. I'm a planner; I make sure I have contingency plans in advance, and I find it greatly reduces my stress in the moment. Some folks marvel at my composure in tough situations, but they don't know how much back-and-forth indecisiveness I struggled through prior to the situation presenting itself.

Experience has shown that Carnival seems to make very last minute decisions on these things, so I'm trying to look out for myself.
Very smart. The cruise lines are all going to do whatever they can to have their cruises embark as planned, and as long as there is any chance of that they'll hold out hope that it'll be the case. As soon as they're sure it can't happen, then they'll start making changes. You'll be well-served by being prepared.

It may be too late to employ some of the useful preparation: Buying travel insurance and booking your travel so you're staying overnight at a hotel near the port the night prior to the cruise. Personally, if you can actually accomplish either of those two now, I would absolutely do it. I would also be picky about where I stay the night before. We're staying on the beach in Cocoa Beach the night before our cruise - do you do that! You could stay in Orlando (and that way perhaps you could turn a canceled cruise into a theme park vacation). If you really want to stay nearer to the port, there are hotels in Cocoa (not Cocoa Beach!) that are safe from flooding and such, for example, the hotels by the I-95/FL 520 interchange.

The breadth of the storm depends on its strength, location and other factors. It is way to early to tell anything with any level of assurance, but based on my memory of how things have been affected in the past, if the most likely scenario becomes true, we'll see flights in/out of Miami affected starting Saturday afternoon, and flights in/out Orlando affected starting Sunday morning.

You'll probably need to make some quick decisions, and you could perhaps benefit from thinking up all the possible scenarios now, and making a preliminary decision for how you'll respond then. I'm a planner; I make sure I have contingency plans in advance, and I find it greatly reduces my stress in the moment. Some folks marvel at my composure in tough situations, but they don't know how much back-and-forth indecisiveness I struggled through prior to the situation presenting itself.

Very smart. The cruise lines are all going to do whatever they can to have their cruises embark as planned, and as long as there is any chance of that they'll hold out hope that it'll be the case. As soon as they're sure it can't happen, then they'll start making changes. You'll be well-served by being prepared.

It may be too late to employ some of the useful preparation: Buying travel insurance and booking your travel so you're staying overnight at a hotel near the port the night prior to the cruise. Personally, if you can actually accomplish either of those two now, I would absolutely do it. I would also be picky about where I stay the night before. We're staying on the beach in Cocoa Beach the night before our cruise - do you do that! You could stay in Orlando (and that way perhaps you could turn a canceled cruise into a theme park vacation). If you really want to stay nearer to the port, there are hotels in Cocoa (not Cocoa Beach!) that are safe from flooding and such, for example, the hotels by the I-95/FL 520 interchange.

Thank you for that info!!! I appreciate a second opinion. I've already started preliminary plans to switch my flight, just had not did it yet.

Are you on the Pride out of Baltimore? I'm Going with my mother also. Glad I'm not the only one!

Have fun.

I'm watching closely, too early to tell, my mom, and I are cruising on Carnival to Bahamas debarking the 10th. I hope everything will be okay. I just want to cruise.

Thank you for that info!!! I appreciate a second opinion. I've already started preliminary plans to switch my flight, just had not did it yet.

One other thought: You're about three hours north of us. (We actually were there visiting family yesterday.) We can make the drive to Port Canaveral in one shot. We'll be doing that in November, actually. Could we do it in one shot if we were starting in Knoxville? Maybe. Surely when we were younger we could. It'll be a last minute decision (airline cancels flight... do you jump in the car and drive yourself?) Something to consider and make a preliminary decision.

So we're on carnival conquest on the 9th. This is my first cruise. Does carnival usually give you good notification if the cruise is canceled? The way its looking if it hits Florida its going to be around the 9th. I'm worried because we're flying in the 8th and staying in ft lauderdale. I don't wanna fly all the way there to just be stuck in a hurricane.

Same for us,first cruise flying in fort Lauderdale the 8th on conquest,sure don't want to be stuck in florida during hurricane.Also the worry for the people of florida and other areas this might affect.

I'm on the Friday departure of the Victory out of Miami. It's a 3 nighter that overnights Nassau, and if Irma doesn't change course, it looks like the entire trip is in the hurricane zone. I'm not even sure what they could do to re-route this.

Time to go make some sacrificies to the weather gods so Irma heads back out to sea and doesn't make landfall anywhere!

I'm also booked on this sailing. Nassau is not important to me, so I wouldn't mind a reroute. As long as the ship sails, I'm happy. LOL

One other thought: You're about three hours north of us. (We actually were there visiting family yesterday.) We can make the drive to Port Canaveral in one shot. We'll be doing that in November, actually. Could we do it in one shot if we were starting in Knoxville? Maybe. Surely when we were younger we could. It'll be a last minute decision (airline cancels flight... do you jump in the car and drive yourself?) Something to consider and make a preliminary decision.

I've made it from Miami to Knoxville in a single day and it was ROUGH. It took about 15 hours, although we did stop in Asheville, NC to unload a family member. Straight A to B, I would say 13.5 hours, giving time to stop for gas, restroom breaks, and drive-thru's for food.

We actually thought about that as well, but decided against it. Driving towards a hurricane just adds an area of uncertainties. Plus then we risk our car getting flooded. And then driving home afterwards would be so exhausting; getting back on Sunday, and going to work on Monday, with getting in at close to midnight. I think that's the point where we just say "que sera sera". IF we lived a few hours south, that might be feasible, but not from here.

And again, I appreciate your suggestions and your out of the box thinking. :)