Has anyone been to Grand Turk Port since the hurricanes?

estillcrew

I know that John Heald said that the port was open and that Jack said that Jack's Shack did not receive much damage, but has anyone docked there yet to see the damage first hand? If so, how does it look? Are there still trees lining the beach? Is Margaritaville still standing? Are all the vendors still operating on the beach? Are the duty free shops damaged?

This is one of my favorite ports, and it has been on my mind a lot lately. I am hoping for someone to post some images of the current state of Grand Turk port or comment about what they have observed. My heart goes out to all of the people on the island, and I hope that everyone is back in business to get the much needed tourism dollars!

Okay, thanks for the update. Our local news reported that Maria missed Turks and Caicos, so I was curious if anyone had been there yet. I had no idea that Maria caused damage too. Bless those people's hearts.

Well the worst of the storm missed the island but reports I've read say the west eye wall went over GT. Providenciales reported winds over 60 mph and they're 70 miles from GT

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

I saw on a FB group that they are estimating the port to re-open Nov 1st. Jacks shack said they made out ok but the rest of the island needs alot of work. The owner said they are eager to get the ships coming back so maybe it will happen before Nov. 1st? Im not sure WHO announced nov. 1st but i saw someone else say "maybe it will re-open before the projected Nov 1st" so someone somewhere found that info.

Maria did quite a bit of damage on GT, not so much in provo etc.

I am also curious to know what it will all look like, i am booked 11/25.

Thank you so much! Here is the article for those who are interested:

Instant rebuilding is "not realistic" on Grand Turk but efforts are already underway to get the tourism business back in action as soon as possible.

That's according to Jack of the much loved Jack's Shack, who told Cruise Radio that the speedy return of tourists was vital to support the local economy.

“As tourism is our only industry to speak of and everyone is out of work for practically two months, the devastation has to be solved with savings. For those who lost their whole home, the situation is bleaker.

“We are all hoping the cruise ships will return soon so we can start making salaries again and having fun with our cruising friends!”

He added that while the impact of Irma and Maria has not been on the same scale as Hurricane Ike in 2008, there was still a lot of work to be done.

“Jack’s Shack has only minor damage. It should take a week of clean-up, re installation of sun shades and tiki hut roofing, which we took down to avoid losing. The kitchen was not damaged, it just as 12 inches of sand in it!”

You can read the full interview here.

• 2 weeks later...