Cuban Etiquette?

feisty_tuffy

I have read that it is rude to blow your nose in public. That you need to be careful about photographing police and military officers. The word papaya is similar to a vulgar word so it is best to avoid saying papaya so as not to offend. What other etiquette needs to be observed? I want to be respectful and polite during my visit and want to leave a good impression of American tourists.

I don't know, as I've never been to Cuba. However, I do know that apparently many people like to photograph the Cuban people, sometimes close up, and for that, you should ask permission first. If the person wants money, he/she will ask and you should give it to them. I'm not sure what amount might be asked for, or if the type of Cuban money tourists generally use and would give is useful to Cuban residents.

Would love to hear other people's comments on how to act in Cuba, as I'm going later this year.

I have read that it is rude to blow your nose in public. That you need to be careful about photographing police and military officers. The word papaya is similar to a vulgar word so it is best to avoid saying papaya so as not to offend. What other etiquette needs to be observed? I want to be respectful and polite during my visit and want to leave a good impression of American tourists.

I can tell you, the people are very friendly and warm, and are very pleased and patient if you try to speak even just a few words of their language.

We got a sheet from Royal Caribbean with basic phrases on it, which was nice to have. You can also get download Google Translate for your phone.

I just returned from a trip to Havana on NCL Sky. It was a fascinating place. The people were warm and friendly and curious about Americans. It was obvious that they are concerned about the changing policies under the Trump Administration, because Obama's visit really opened up some opportunities for the Cuban people for the first time in 50 years. They will discuss politics with you if they trust you, and it was interesting to note that they easily separate politics from people, i.e. I was not stereotyped. Raul is preparing to step down and this makes for good conversation. Parque Central is a neat place to engage with the locals to talk sports or politics. You can see sprouts of capitalism everywhere in Havana - spend money in private establishments whenever possible. The Paladares (family owned restaurants) were wonderful ("Nao" and "Mojito Mojito" in old Havana were standouts for me). I never felt unsafe, and there are indeed police everywhere. I took 500+ photos and had no issues. I encourage you to read up on the country's history and then visit the museums to see the same history presented from a very different perspective. The Revolution Museum was particularly interesting. I agree withthe suggestion of downloading the spanish language dictionary on Google Translate for offline use. Many Cubans speak little to no English and their Spanish accent/dialect is closer to that of mainland Spain than Mexico. I took a backpack filled with packs of gum and cartoon character toothbrush kids, both were really appreciated as gifts, without being offensive.

• 1 month later...
I just returned from a trip to Havana on NCL Sky. It was a fascinating place. I took 500+ photos and had no issues.

If you post some of your photos anywhere online, or post a review of your trip, I'd love to see either one! I will be going soon. Also, if you took closeups of any people, did they seem OK with that? Did you ask first?