Here comes Nate!

married man

My thing is I just don’t want to fly out and be stuck in a hurricane in New Orleans. I remember Katrina, not saying Nate will be anywhere as bad. But still. I got this from messaging them on Facebook:

“Good Morning Nathan. We have been keeping a close eye on Tropical Storm Nate, which is forecasted to be heading in the general direction of the Louisiana area by this Saturday or Sunday. Since these storms can be so unpredictable, we will continue to monitor the weather reports and, once we have more information on its forecasted path, we will provide you with another update.

To stay updated, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL2 to CRUISE (278473).

- Shane”

Just got this from them:

“Hi Nathan. Yes, we just received an email from the ship. - Shane

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. This is your Captain speaking. May I have your attention please?

I trust you enjoyed your time ashore in Cozumel today. I have an important update to share with you regarding the weather and our return to New Orleans.

We continue to monitor Tropical Storm Nate. The forecasted track of the storm shows that it is expected to make landfall over the weekend in the Louisiana/Alabama area. In preparation for the storm, officials from the Port of New Orleans have informed us the Mississippi River will close for all marine traffic at noon tomorrow. This means the port will also be closed and will not reopen until the storm passes and a port assessment has been completed.

We will remain at sea, a safe distance from the storm at all times, while in position to enter the Mississippi River as soon as it opens. We will continue to monitor the weather reports and provide you with another update by 6PM tomorrow.

In the meantime, we will do everything possible to make your stay on board as enjoyable as possible.”

My thing is I just don’t want to fly out and be stuck in a hurricane in New Orleans. I remember Katrina, not saying Nate will be anywhere as bad. But still. I got this from messaging them on Facebook:

“Good Morning Nathan. We have been keeping a close eye on Tropical Storm Nate, which is forecasted to be heading in the general direction of the Louisiana area by this Saturday or Sunday. Since these storms can be so unpredictable, we will continue to monitor the weather reports and, once we have more information on its forecasted path, we will provide you with another update.

To stay updated, please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL2 to CRUISE (278473).

- Shane”

As you noted, Nate is not Katrina. Not by a long shot. I wouldn't sweat it. If the airlines are flying, you shouldn't fear going. Now if you don't want to deal with a shortened cruise, then you might not want to go.

As you noted, Nate is not Katrina. Not by a long shot. I wouldn't sweat it. If the airlines are flying, you shouldn't fear going. Now if you don't want to deal with a shortened cruise, then you might not want to go.

Thanks for putting me at a little more ease with that. I’m just hoping New Orleans isn’t to bad I was hoping to do a little bar hoping, and get a little New Orleans experience there.

We just got a robo-call and then a text alert from Carnival re the Oct 8 Dream sailing. Both said that it will be a six-day cruise embarking Monday Oct 9 instead of Sunday, and that we get a one-day OBC for this (or can cancel for 100% future cruise credit). One port is lost. And of course Carnival being Carnival, the text said we will not have Cozumel, while the call said we will not have Jamaica. Both say not to head to port until we hear more. But it does seem Monday is the day now. (Edited to add: then we got an email that says the missing port is Jamaica. So I think the text is wrong.)

We live here. For those who were coming into town and are worried about hurricane and then staying an extra night before embarking, I recommend that you come on and not worry about it. Sunday is not a typically busy night for hotels so I am confident you will find a room. The hurricane will have passed by Sunday morning so that much of Sunday will be fine for seeing the French Quarter, a great Aquarium, the World War 2 Museum, walking tours (including great ghost tours and chocolate tours), House of Blues gospel brunch on Sunday mornings, hurricanes (to drink), and beignets--all within close distance to the port and many hotels. I just don't think you will have trouble finding a way to stay an extra night here before cruising, and think that you can make Nola one of your excursion ports on much of Sunday and have a great time.

If hotels near the port are full or too expensive, don't be afraid to stay in Metairie, Elmwood, and other suburbs. An Uber ride to the port the next day is not much, probably $20 (and some have shuttles anyway). You don't have to be right next to port to have a nice stay here while waiting for the Dream to show up.

Just got this text:

Carnival Dream, Oct. 8, 2017:

The Port of New Orleans is closed in preparation for TS Nate. The ship is expected to dock on Monday and operate as a two port 6 day cruise. Cozumel will be cancelled. Guests will receive prorated refund. You may also cancel and receive 100% future cruise credit. Full details in our email. Please do not proceed to the port until you hear from us with confirmed check in times.

Thanks!

Just got this:

Carnival Dream, Oct. 8, 2017-Correction:

The Port of New Orleans is closed in preparation for TS Nate. The ship is expected to dock on Monday and operate as a two port 6 day cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Guests will receive a one day prorated refund. You may also cancel and receive 100% future cruise credit. Full details will be sent by our email. Please do not proceed to the port until you hear from us with confirmed check in times.

Thanks!