Posting "Celebrity Secrets" Backlash

jasm8449

I have read through these messages as well as on another thread where people bashed overweight people for eating too much, etc. Who among you can throw the first stone? Please! Yes, people feel entitled to special treatment and any one of you who insists that they don't enjoy special attention at sea or on land would certainly surprise me if you turned it down when getting it. If you really don't like being treated well, go on a line that promises bottom line pricing for bottom line services and enjoy! Celebrity advertises that their customers are treated like kings and queens, not like average joes (nothing against any joes, believe me)--and that's why cruising is so popular--people leave their everyday lives and go live this fantasy life for a period of time when they are treated like they are someone special who can afford to have this wonderful experience. Honestly, no matter what your income level, cruising isn't a cheap experience and each person's idea of what they are entitled to needs to be addressed by the seller in order to have repeat business. It's sort of like that Not Exactly... commercial--if you wanted special treatment, go where you get it, not where you're not exactly going to get exactly what you want.

It's not a crime to order what you like or want on a cruise, on the menu or off, because it's all about YOU feeling good about your experience so you'll tell your friends and the number of people using the product will increase. If it takes two shrimp cocktails to do this, it's small potatoes in the scheme of things. As was mentioned before, it's called 'doing business' and it is the way of doing business that brings certain clientele to one line over another.

As far as people judging who is a pig for ordering or eating more (perhaps you're also the judge of who has an eating disorder for skipping meals too?), this is the same darned thing--that person, large or small, who finds the all you care to eat or all you can eat philosophy appealing and satisfying will be a paying customer again. You don't like it? Don't watch them eat! You think that they're eating too much? Tell the cruise line when YOU missed your last meal and they'll do their best to feed you if they want your business again.

Some of the posters talk like they are special because they DON'T ask for what they want, don't hope to get more than they deserve, and don't know how to mind their own business and need others for entertainment and subject matter. No matter how many cruises they've been on, no matter how much of the globe they've traveled, I call that kind of thinking small and narrow minded. Open your minds and your eyes and see beyond your own limitations! Don't like what you see? Either find a new mirror or change your environment!

Now *I* feel better...

and I'll keep cruisin' as long as I feel like I'm having a wonderful time doing something special.

You want to complain? It's a big ocean out there.

OK...here's my take. Hope I don't come off sounding like a real snoot.

My wife and I are going on our 2nd cruise this coming June on Summit (1st cruise was with that other C #$%^! line). We are paying a good sum for the both of us (CC cabins). If I want shrimp cocktail every night then I'll request shrimp cocktail every night. I understand and appreciate the imbalance this may (or may not) create for Celebrity. And I will certainly not make a fuss if I can't get a shrimp cocktail every night.

Bottom line, no guilt here--you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

There is nothing wrong with an occasional special request. Unfortunately there are people who are so self absorbed that they think nothing of disturbing everyone else's meal to satisfy their "special needs" all the time. The rest of the table can sit and wait while the waiter runs back and forth to the kitchen to get them whatever they desire.

any one of you who insists that they don't enjoy special attention at sea or on land would certainly surprise me if you turned it down when getting it. .

I think you missed the point. There's a vast difference between enjoying special treatment and demanding special treatment at the inconvenience and inconsideration of your fellow passengers and the dining room and kitchen personnel.

It's always interesting to hear the "me, me, me" people try to justify their selfishness. :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with an occasional special request. Unfortunately there are people who are so self absorbed that they think nothing of disturbing everyone else's meal to satisfy their "special needs" all the time. The rest of the table can sit and wait while the waiter runs back and forth to the kitchen to get them whatever they desire.

Ma Bell,

As you know, i've not yet cruised X so my question is this: will the waiters cater to the one or tow demanding people in their sections at the cost of serving the others well? If I were a waiter, I would rather keep most people happy than satisfy one or two demanding people.

But if it's not on the menu' date=' it's not being offered, is it?:)[/quote']

I see your point but when it's presumed by CC, travel agents and assive word of mouth that you can get shrimp cocktail, escargot or whataver every night, then in a way it is being offered because the waiter so cheerfully fills this request. I think not being offerred would infer that someone could ask for it and be told "sorry, we're not serving that tonight" by more than the very isolated waiter. I think there is a set of items on any line that are not on the menu that they will cheerfully bring. Can you ask for your grandma's creme brule? I doubt it. Can you ask for a shrimp cocktail? I'm guessing you can. That's my point.

We never did ask for anything special on our last cruise because every meal featured something we could cheerfully eat but I did notice the waiter bring shrimp cocktails and the like at other tables. These were brought instead on the featured appetisers so I'm guessing that the menu didn't appeal to those diners. As I said earlier in this thread, our waiter told us that if we put on the evaluation hat we had not enjoyed the food, it would reflect badly on him because he was supposed to find something for us we would like in an case where we were not happy. I think this unfair to the waiters but if you prohibit specialrquests and still hold the waiters accountable in this way, that seems more unfair.

What was the topic again?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Insult people who ask?

Insult people who know?

Insult people who don't know and don't ask?

Defend waiters who don't wait?

Praise Celebrity for going the extra mile?

Ma Bell,

As you know, i've not yet cruised X so my question is this: will the waiters cater to the one or tow demanding people in their sections at the cost of serving the others well? If I were a waiter, I would rather keep most people happy than satisfy one or two demanding people.

As you can imagine, it's the most demanding person who is most likely to give the waiter a poor report if his every desire is not met. It really puts the waiter in a bad situation.

We had a tablemate who had non-stop special requests every night. Then he would taste something, say he didn't like it and have the waiter run to the kitchen to get something else. Next it would be some special condiment or sauce. He would even pre-order some things for the next evening and when they were delivered he had changed his mind and ordered something else.

The waiter did his best to make sure the rest of us were served, but it made it really impossible for him. As a result our dining experience was compromised.

I think there is a difference between general policies that are not advertised and a special favor done by a crew member to accomodate a passenger.

For example, Celebrity has a policy that if the rate for your cabin category is reduced after you book your cruise, they will give you that lower rate if you bring it to their attention. However, since they don't advertise this policy, there are probably many people who don't know about it and pay more than they had to.

At the same time, it appears that crew members have some flexibility in what they can do to enhance a passengers cruise experience, and if too many people find out and ask for the same thing, it can create a problem for the cruise line.

We had a tablemate who had non-stop special requests every night. Then he would taste something, say he didn't like it and have the waiter run to the kitchen to get something else. Next it would be some special condiment or sauce. He would even pre-order some things for the next evening and when they were delivered he had changed his mind and ordered something else.

The waiter did his best to make sure the rest of us were served, but it made it really impossible for him. As a result our dining experience was compromised.

That sounds dreadful. It must also have made conversation awkward. I hope I'm neer "that person" or that Michael will tell me if I am.

We had very nice tablemates with the exception of this one guy, so we enjoyed ourselves in spite of him. The funny thing was he really thought of himself as a gourmand, but he loved to put ketchup on everything along with his other sauces.:rolleyes:

We had very nice tablemates with the exception of this one guy, so we enjoyed ourselves in spite of him. The funny thing was he really thought of himself as a gourmand, but he loved to put ketchup on everything along with his other sauces.:rolleyes:

"Gourmand is from French gourmand, greedy.

Usage note: A gourmet is one who has discriminating taste in food and wine. A gourmand is one who enjoys food of fine quality, and also one who enjoys food in great quantities. Glutton signifies one who simply eats to excess, without reference to the quality of the fare consumed."

And should this same "logic" apply to land-based restaurants? That what's printed on the menu is irrelevant and people should order whatever they want?
Seems like a reasonable spot to jump in here.

While I never order the shrimp cocktails off-menu (or on-menu -- as it happens, the one thing in the world I'm allergic to are shrimp), restaurants do offer "unadvertised" items.

As an example, there's a restaurant in Glenwood Springs, CO that makes the most amazing Parchment Wrapped Salmon. It's never on the menu. It's always available to anyone who asks. That's how Celebrity seems to have been treating the issue of shrimp appetizers.

As to the effect -- as someone noted, you can get decent (not tiny) shrimp at many all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets these days. Cost is not excessive as it once was. Further, this isn't something that Celebrity would not have seen coming as a trend. It isn't as though there has been some per-cruise surprise for them. Over time, the trend has likely been up due to word-of-mouth, and as we've not yet seen any supply shortage on our cruises, they've evidently been able to keep up with demand more often than not.

As to ordering "doubles" -- I'll confess to doing this once per cruise myself. Rack of Lamb is served twice on the longer cruises, and on the first occasion, I always request 6 vs. 3 chops. In truth, it's no more meat in total than is served in several of their other offerings. I'm always good enough to warn our waiter on the first night so as to provide the minimum of inconvenience when the evening arrives.

As I read this thread, I was hoping to get more information, but alas I did not. Therefore I'll just chime in and throw more wood into the fire. I like cruising because I can try several appetizers, and desserts at dinner. I don't do this at home because I can't afford it, and it makes me HAPPY. Therefore I return. I often order 2 appetizers and 2 desserts at dinner. If they have steak and a shrimp plate, I'll order both. I don't order the shrimp cocktail much, because they give you small shrimp, and it just isn't very good (IMO). I make it better at home. If you don't like me, I don't really care. I don't demand anything, I ask politely, and am not bothered at all if I can't receive something, I'm on vacation. :)

As you can imagine, it's the most demanding person who is most likely to give the waiter a poor report if his every desire is not met. It really puts the waiter in a bad situation.

Well, *I* being the outspoken person that I am would have probably said something to the very demanding tablemate. I see that as abuse of his fellow tablemates as well as the waiter/waitress. Some people are just downright rude. After previously reading posts of being able to get shrimp cocktails every night, I thought about asking, but now after this thread, I would not want to 'hog' the shrimp and have others go without. IMHO

My comments were not regarding getting a shrimp cocktail in the dining room or an extra dessert. The way I look at it is if there really is nothing you care for on the menu, ask if something else is available before dinner is being served. I really think the shrimp cocktail thing every night is a little overboard. I wonder how many people know the shrimp is sometimes known as the cockroach of the sea.

This was a whole different thing. There were comments made to him to no effect. As I said we had really nice tablemates so we made the best of the situation. It almost became comical after a while.

My comments were not regarding getting a shrimp cocktail in the dining room or an extra dessert. The way I look at it is if there really is nothing you care for on the menu, ask if something else is available before dinner is being served. I really think the shrimp cocktail thing every night is a little overboard. I wonder how many people know the shrimp is sometimes known as the cockroach of the sea.

This was a whole different thing. There were comments made to him to no effect. As I said we had really nice tablemates so we made the best of the situation. It almost became comical after a while.

GROSSS!!!!! I HATE cockroaches. BLEAH!!!

Thank you for supporting my point...cruise lines exist because people are happy with their experience on their cruise vacations. It's a business about making people happy so that they'll pay for the experience again. Since such a high percentage of cruisers are return customers, this is an obviously successful formula--with different price ranges for different expectations. One doesn't go to a Kia car dealer and expect a vehicle there to be the same as a Mercedes; one doesn't cruise Carnival expecting a Seaborne experience--but one does expect to be treated well and get a good experience for their hard earned money.

I can't fathom why some of the people here don't understand that the kitchen and dining staff's job is to make sure that as many passengers as can be possibly made happy are indeed made happy is their JOB--and their employers' expectation of them is to make sure that MORE passengers leave feeling happy with EACH experience. Whether you're selling a product on land or sea, the goal is the same: overwhelmingly satisfied clients means return clients--and the wait staff, the kitchen staff, the hotel staff, the cruise staff, and so on all the way up the line to the Chairman of the Board are there to make sure that each person gets off their ship with a desire to repeat their experience, the sooner the better. Please stop feeling sorry for the staff for doing their jobs!!! If they do it well, they're rewarded and recognized--at the very least, with the passenger's tips, at the very best by their employers. Their training is all about handling that picky or pain in the butt person just as well as handling the shrinking violets who never would dream of seeking the limelight (or an extra shrimp cocktail, G'd forbid!). These people are there for the passengers. If the passengers aren't happy, their jobs are down the tubes--and that's the bottom line!!! We're not talking high finance here, we're talking bottom line truths.

It's about time some people realized that they're not there on the ship to judge others but to have a good time RELAXING!!!

As ferm01 said, they're on VACATION!!!

It's funny to me that, after having been reading threads on this message board for a while now, I'd never realized how many people were out there sharing a ship with me judging what I eat, what I look like, and what I say and how I say it. Hmmm...I'm in the same boat with ferm01 on this--(quote) "If you don't like me, I don't really care." I'll start worrying when you start paying for my cruise fare--and even then I'll not abdicate my right to an opinion.

By the way, why does the dining room, not serve English Breakfast tea, at breakfast. If you ask for it you get English Tea time tea, a much more delicate tea, they even argue that you have received the tea you ordered The Maitre D' even told me that if I wanted English Breakfast tea I should go to the Cova Cafe and BUY IT!

??? Just got of Galaxy, and Bigelow English Breakfast (the one with the lavender label) was available in the dining room at breakfast. That's what my wife drinks. They were offering the Tea Time (blue label) decaf from the box as well, and that's what I had.

Maybe some of you have never encountered really good waiters on X who really do anticipate your wants. One night on my first cruise (Summit) I did not want any appetizer or soup (saving room for two desserts) and after everyone had been served their soup, the waiter asked didn't I want to try the French Onion Soup, because he had ordered one for me, thinking I might like it. I had the same thing happen on my second Summit cruise (different waitress) with a different food item I had not ordered. Apparently they know from experience that sometimes when people skip a course they may see other people eating something that suddenly looks yummy, so they over order so that person will be able to get the dish without delaying the table etc. I thought they both were excellent in every way, not just in anticipating. On my third cruise (Millenium) the waitress announced that there was an off menu dessert being prepared at the next table and we could partake also. It was cherries jubilee someone had requested and gotten, and apparently she knew others would see it and want it, so requested the cooks made a larger batch of the cherries while they were preparing the special order.

These are great waiters who will bend over backwards for you.

I agree with you about some wait staffs on the ships. I've encountered primo service on different lines, ranging from Carnival to Celebrity. I think it depends on the leadership's attitudes about customer service. I believe that a can do attitude trickles down from above but also, can be found in the smartest wait staff members. Smart because they know how to deliver what the passenger wants and anticipates what the passenger doesn't even know s/he wants until given that option. Smart because these are usually the people who get the best tips. Even in the no-tipping or automatic tipping environment these people make extra money because they're good at the job they do. Their ability to satisfy is memorable, is admirable, and is a win-win situation for both employee and passenger. Hats off to those who do their jobs well and take pride in jobs well done!

That being said, I've had some pretty awful service from various staff on all levels of lines as well. Yes, sometimes it's just a matter of a one time bad day encounter between passenger and staff; other times it is a situation that results in customer complaints and possibly staff changes. If all the people who say that they don't want to inconvenience staff and don't want to be known for complaining or demanding do nothing about a bad situation, well, they deserve what they get and they help no one get a chance for a better vacation further down the line.

Giving credit to those who help make our experiences worthwhile is a must if good service is to be encouraged! By the same token, a well written letter to the cruise line or a calm discussion with the onboard staff manager is a way to improve both the passenger experience as well as the cruilse line's ability to ensure good service. For those who don't want to "make trouble" or make enemies, I hope you will realize that you become part of the problem rather than part of the solution by hiding behind this I-want-everyone-to-like-me-no-matter-what mind-set.

I doubt if the other passengers pay much attention to what anyone else is wearing, eating etc. unless it is really out of the ordinary. They do usually notice the ones who "go out of their way" to make sure everyone knows they'll do as they please because they paid for their vacations. They are the ones who need to have negative attention.

I definitely do agree that one needs to speak up if there is a problem with the staff. It's always easier to make your point if you approach it in a pleasant way.

I doubt if the other passengers pay much attention to what anyone else is wearing, eating etc. unless it is really out of the ordinary. They do usually notice the ones who "go out of their way" to make sure everyone knows they'll do as they please because they paid for their vacations. They are the ones who need to have negative attention.

Well, Ma Bell, I have to share a quote with you from another thread so that you can sit pretty knowing that YOU might not be the one who notices what others eat...and keep in mind that there are whole threads full of people bashing others for what they eat on this message board.

>m steve

>overordering

>After seeing so many people ordering doubles or more on the menu, we sit at a table for 2 and avoid the piggies... Just because the food is available doesn't mean you have to eat everything on the menu.<

By the way, also on this message site are numerous quotes and comments from people who comment on people wearing bathing suits that they find offensive (both large and small bodies and large and small suits). Believe me, there is no shortage of opininated people sitting at their computers judging others. Feel free to search the website to entertain yourself with people who feel comfortable judging others on all aspects of what they've seen or think they're authorities on.

Remember this story the next time you (or anyone else) think you are some kind of authority about another person's behavior: in 2002 I was on the Royal Princess with a group of people, some of us old friends, others friends of friends. Two of the women in this extended group were making comments about an overweight woman whose head was not only shaved but appeared to be tatooed. These two women were well dressed and thought themselves above reproach as they made comments about this fellow shipmate's attire, size, and tatooed head. I admit, at first glance this woman stood out from the crowd and seemed to be 'drawing attention' to herself with her looks. (In the end, she didn't draw as much attention as the antics of the women I knew.) Later on during the two week cruise, my daughter came to tell me about this really nice woman who was taking the cruise as an escape from her life with cancer. You probably guessed what the two magpies never knew--that my daughter and these women were talking about the same brave soul. It made me disappointed in the one woman in the group who'd been my friend for a few years prior to this sailing. So much so, that I told her how rude she was and our friendship was sacrificed as a result.

As I asked in my first message here--who among you can throw the first stone?

But back to your quote--you raise an interesting question--

Ma Bell quote: They do usually notice the ones who "go out of their way" to make sure everyone knows they'll do as they please because they paid for their vacations. They are the ones who need to have negative attention.

Your quote makes me ask--DON'T YOU PAY FOR YOUR VACATION?

There are rules for ALL passengers and the only authority to dole out NEGATIVE ATTENTION is the cruise line's representatives, certainly not you. If you find someone acting in a manner that offends you or impacts YOUR vacation, most definitely ask for assistance from the staff or address that person directly in a way that doesn't offend but allows the other person to become aware of the situation as you perceive it.

There are plenty of rude people all around the globe, and they're usually pretty easy to spot in a crowd. On the other hand, there are certainly nice people who make the journey through life more enjoyable. I would say the choice is yours.

Archived