Posting "Celebrity Secrets" Backlash

jasm8449

I was told by a senior staff member on a recent Celebrity cruise, that requests for certain perks, like shrimp cocktail instead of canapes, and also as an appetizer in the dining room every night (some people sit down and order 3 of them to start....), have risen exponentially as a result of posts on Cruisecritic. While there are other dining room 'secrets' like steak every night, etc., the shrimp thing has particurly become a problem. He actually mentioned the specific thread "Secrets Celebrity Doesn't Tell You About". Multiplied by hundreds of requests every cruise (and of course even non-cruisecritic tablemates catch on), it is adversely affecting their supply counts, food planning, and budgets.

This is causing Celebrity to close up the 'loopholes' regarding this and other things that are being pointed out to them by the thread. Now, they obviously know about many of these secrets, as some of them are 'secret' only to some passengers. However, the power of the internet and this forum can pubicize a perk to the point where it is causing a problem for them.

So while it is great to exchange that information, sometimes it works against us.

I don't buy the explanation. CC members make up only a small portion of any cruise - how posting the tricks of the trade suddenly becomes "hundreds of requests" every cruise seems like an exaggeration. Are you saying that Celebrity will offer these things, only if no one asks? That's a Catch-22.

I don't buy the explanation. CC members make up only a small portion of any cruise - how posting the tricks of the trade suddenly becomes "hundreds of requests" every cruise seems like an exaggeration.

Word of mouth - you don't need to be a CC member to learn of something. Like the OP said, people will catch on quickly when they see tablemates, etc. doing things they weren't aware could be done.

For every one person that learns, they can pass this on to a few others on present, or future, cruises.

I agree that it is probably an exaggeration, but an increase is still an increase. Things may have been fine a few years ago with this practice, but as time goes on, the "secret" is only going to become more widespread and perhaps it is only now that it's becoming an actual issue for them.

Are you saying that Celebrity will offer these things, only if no one asks? That's a Catch-22.

I don't necessarily see that as being a catch 22.

It's a perk you get as a special request. If they wanted to offer it to everyone from the get go, they would make the information publicly available from the start. You wouldn't have to learn about it in a thread called "Celebrity Secrets" as it would be a part of your regular cruising experience.

This does not happen only on cruise ships, but many other businesses/services as well. They will offer certain things, but since it's not part of the regular practice of the business (nor is it necessary), they do so only to the few who ask.

On the past several X cruises we've been on, there were scads of other pax who were well aware of the Shrimp Cocktail offering for nightly dinner and I dare say none of them were CC members.

There are plenty of other things like getting a Caprese salad for the whole table nightly that I've seen done time and again on X sailings ..... these folks are just loyal, long time X cruisers and not CC members.

X would do well to remember that these are some of the things that keep their pax loyal to them and not drifting over to HAL or, God forfend, Carnival.....

and the couple who won the champagne for the most cruises on the ship were ordering appetizers for dinner, she had double he had triples & they got them. They were in 2016 since they didn't care for CC prices to book it, which made sense to us as they get all the goodies ELITE get, even tho not free cappuccino, latte or espresso, no free nightly cocktails, etc. They cruise RCCL to get the most of their stock as we do too. They wanted Summit in May for the reunion cruise to get more goodies for free. For a couple in the know, they laxed that idea as I believe it is sold out. Their son is a TA for AMEX & he books them.

They thought we paid $7 for our cake & commented it was nice for the money & it was free, arranged by our TA but we didn't tell them. They commented that they wanted shrimp cocktails in their room from room service but not for a price. They were quite upset at the overcharging going on.

On the past several X cruises we've been on, there were scads of other pax who were well aware of the Shrimp Cocktail offering for nightly dinner and I dare say none of them were CC members.

There are plenty of other things like getting a Caprese salad for the whole table nightly that I've seen done time and again on X sailings ..... these folks are just loyal, long time X cruisers and not CC members.

X would do well to remember that these are some of the things that keep their pax loyal to them and not drifting over to HAL or, God forfend, Carnival.....

Now being a member of Cruise Critics, I was totally aware of the shrimp cocktail thing...but being my mothers daughter, I would never order off menu or double of anything ...but our tablemates, in their 50's, were very aware of the shrimp cocktail thing and ordered double the first night. Neither one had ever heard of Cruise Critics?

Oh and btw, our entire table ordered shrimp cocktail off menu on the last night. All three of the couples were in CC staterooms and had paid plenty of money for our crusies...don't we deserve it or havent we paid for it? OK, Im rambling....

and the couple who won the champagne for the most cruises on the ship were ordering appetizers for dinner, she had double he had triples & they got them. They were in 2016 since they didn't care for CC prices to book it, which made sense to us as they get all the goodies ELITE get, even tho not free cappuccino, latte or espresso, no free nightly cocktails, etc. They cruise RCCL to get the most of their stock as we do too. They wanted Summit in May for the reunion cruise to get more goodies for free. For a couple in the know, they laxed that idea as I believe it is sold out. Their son is a TA for AMEX & he books them.

They thought we paid $7 for our cake & commented it was nice for the money & it was free, arranged by our TA but we didn't tell them. They commented that they wanted shrimp cocktails in their room from room service but not for a price. They were quite upset at the overcharging going on.

Could you please post that again in plain English with an explanation incuded as to what this post has to do with the OP's original post?

Dianne

I don't buy the explanation. CC members make up only a small portion of any cruise - how posting the tricks of the trade suddenly becomes "hundreds of requests" every cruise seems like an exaggeration. Are you saying that Celebrity will offer these things, only if no one asks? That's a Catch-22.

I definitely disagree. I work in the food industry and when you order the bulk from the distributer, there is no mathmatical equation that tells you how much to order of which product. You simply order what you think people are going to eat. Lets take 50 people a sitting that would not normally order the Shrimp Cocktail at dinner but now do, well times that by the 2 sittings, and again by 7 days. You have just added 700 shrimp cocktails that were unexpected. I started off with a very small percentage off passengers when the average ship probably carries about 2000. I also did not account for the ordering of 2 and 3 orders of them as the OP said. So you see, it actually is quite easy to throw off a food balance......One last thing is a high priced product. I can pretty much guarantee you that they are restricted from ordering all that much extra of the high priced items (Shrimp, Lobster etc........)

Um, huh? I don't follow a word you wrote. Am I on Candid Camera?

I definitely disagree. I work in the food industry and when you order the bulk from the distributer, there is no mathmatical equation that tells you how much to order of which product.

*edited for brevity*

Like I said orginally - makes sense...

@ 98Charlie

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who couldn't figure that out or make the connection to the OP's original idea.

Seems like just a bunch of random thoughts strung together with no thought of coherence.

And then I went to town. There was a kite and my meal tasted good.

Hey, my trip's next week.

Jello? No thanks.

@ TechKnowBabble

No kids yet. I'm 26 and trying to finish school. :)

Plus, my baby's probably going to be a little darker than that since it'll be a mix of whatever Heinz 57 I am and my future wife's Phillipinization. Yeah? So what if that's not a word??!! *grin*

but being my mothers daughter, I would never order off menu or double of anything .

I'm not my mother's daughter, but when I go to a restaurant, I would never demand that they cook me something which is not listed on their menu, nor would I demand extra helpings or entrees without expecting to pay extra for them.

Nor do I do that on a cruise ship. To me, it's selfish and a "me, me, me" thing. If someone is such a picky eater that nothing on the menu pleases them, then there are alternatives available all over the ship up to 24-hours a day to appease your hunger pangs. If someone wants to indulge themselves in five lobster tails, knowing that if everyone did that, there would be no lobster left for the next scheduled serving, then those people, in my opinion, are selfish gluttons.

All these extra "perks" of demanding items which weren't planned to be cooked or served delay prompt and efficient service to everyone else, because the staff is tied up in catering to the egotistical whims of those people who think they are so very, very special that they inflict their desires over the efficiency and plans of the dining room and kitchen and have no consideration for their fellow diners. Is this attitude and selfishness really that much different from those who refuse to follow the dress code, hog chairs, hog seats in the theater, and break line?

There seems to be a rapidly-increasing number of cruise passengers who have the mind-set "I paid for this cruise, and I will demand and get anything I want, because I am royalty and everyone on the ship, including the other passengers, is subservient to my self-centered desires and whims".

It's sad to see cruising go downhill this way.

Allen

I would look at the shrimp thing as a snowball effect. One CC reads it and sits down with 10 strangers who see them order it so they order it the next night. Then if half of these at that table cruise again and sit with 10 more strangers , it cycles again and again. Pretty soon half the ship will know you can get the shrimps every night and it's easy to see a supply problem. While some cruise lines list those special everynight items many don't. It's for the waiters to suggest something else when you can't seem to find something to your liking on the daily menu(I personally don't see how you couldn't but there are those that can only have Ranch dressing on a salad or cannot eat a steak without drowning it in A1 Sauce or Henz 57). I can see where many of those secrets could get out of hand for the ship's supplies. It's not like they can pick up more shrimp at the next port. If everyone knows where the quit places are on the ship pretty soon they won't be quit anymore!

Please explain revenue enhancement.

If a cruise ship were a grocery store (make believe) and a particular product was hard to keep on the shelves because it was so popular, would the manager not order more than he formerly did, to supply the demand?

My son's in culinary school and I know about calculating prices per serving etc. to keep costs down.

Shrimp coctail is a pretty "normal" appetizer which you see on land restaurant menus. It is not exotic or apt to be a first for someone, like perhaps escargots and frog legs would be. I think escargots and frog legs are more expensive per serving. ????

This is a simple matter of recalculating what is being ordered in the restaurant/room service vs. what is not being ordered. Then they change their order for bulk supplies. I am sure the company wants to give the passengers what they want. they are not asking for lobster as their appetizer. There are only 4 shrimp in the shrimp cocktail, and when I ordered shrimp as an entre last week there were only 4 on my plate.

They give us free ice cream many hours of the day, but we don't hear any rumors (yet) about making it an a la carte item. If that happens, I'll skip ice cream. i don't even have ice cream once in a cruise some times, but it is nice that it is there. Same with shrimp cocktail. If no appetizer appeals to me, then I'll ask for shrimp cocktail.

I did notice on the Nov 05 Millie crossing they were a bit tight with the shrimp, like 4 little shrimp in the shrimp cocktail and only served maybe 3 times in 12 days so I didnt press the issue or ask for seconds. For some reason conserving shrimp is important to Celebrity. I am sure they would have provided us with 10 shrimp cocktails but I didnt want to upset the applecart and cause an over-run. If I remember correctly on one of my transatlantics they actually ran out of shrimp!! The last formal night we ate baby frozen soggy shrimp served with cocktail sauce.

Besides I shouldnt be eating it anyway!! (sorry granddad) lol

Don

Please explain revenue enhancement.

If a cruise ship were a grocery store (make believe) and a particular product was hard to keep on the shelves because it was so popular, would the manager not order more than he formerly did, to supply the demand?

My son's in culinary school and I know about calculating prices per serving etc. to keep costs down.

Shrimp coctail is a pretty "normal" appetizer which you see on land restaurant menus. It is not exotic or apt to be a first for someone, like perhaps escargots and frog legs would be. I think escargots and frog legs are more expensive per serving. ????

This is a simple matter of recalculating what is being ordered in the restaurant/room service vs. what is not being ordered. Then they change their order for bulk supplies. I am sure the company wants to give the passengers what they want. they are not asking for lobster as their appetizer. There are only 4 shrimp in the shrimp cocktail, and when I ordered shrimp as an entre last week there were only 4 on my plate.

They give us free ice cream many hours of the day, but we don't hear any rumors (yet) about making it an a la carte item. If that happens, I'll skip ice cream. i don't even have ice cream once in a cruise some times, but it is nice that it is there. Same with shrimp cocktail. If no appetizer appeals to me, then I'll ask for shrimp cocktail.

While you make a very good point, alot of this is totally irrelevant. For starters, Celebrity ships have an already designed and put to the test menu for their entire cruise. Thus being said, they pretty much have a base order that they will order, and tweak it every now and then when need be. So with not knowing what people are going to be ordering they do not have that much room to tweak. If tweaked too much, they will run out of frog legs or escargots, instead of the shrimp. If they have been basically ordering the same amount of an item for a pretty consecutive amount of time, and then all of a sudden order double that, corporate is going to want to know why?.....And then they are going to want to give it a trial run and see if it was just a weird demand for that sailing. I don't care what anybody else says, Shrimp, is a very high cost item when comparing to to other items being offered. The Food and Beverage manager who does the initial oredering has to keep it within certain limits, when told by your boss that you are able to order X amount of something, you cannot order Y. It is not within their reah to order anything and everything they want. This is more a problem that need be taken up with the corporation and not the individual doing the ordering. It is not within there reach to be able to order whatever they want. If that was the case we would be eating Lobster at the buffet every day.

Archived