MY FIRST CRUISE: How long does it take to get off the boat when you dock at each port

I am going on a Freedom of the Seas ship to Georgetown, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I booked an excursion at each port because of the "guaranteed first off the boat policy" but im wondering how long it is actually going to take us to get off the boat. Each excursion that i booked is scheduled to begin an hour to 1.5 hours after the boat is scheduled to dock. I was thinking it would be neat to grab lunch or just walk around a little before the excursions start, but i dont know if there will be any time for that.

Another question is how long before scheduled port departure should I get back to the boat? We are also tendering at Georgetown, but I dont know if that means we should get back to the boat any earlier. I definitely want to use up every bit of time at each port that I can.

I am going on a Freedom of the Seas ship to Georgetown, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I booked an excursion at each port because of the "guaranteed first off the boat policy" but im wondering how long it is actually going to take us to get off the boat. Each excursion that i booked is scheduled to begin an hour to 1.5 hours after the boat is scheduled to dock. I was thinking it would be neat to grab lunch or just walk around a little before the excursions start, but i dont know if there will be any time for that.

Another question is how long before scheduled port departure should I get back to the boat? We are also tendering at Georgetown, but I dont know if that means we should get back to the boat any earlier. I definitely want to use up every bit of time at each port that I can.

Hi

Welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising

As a general rule of thumb for planning purposes, it usually takes about 30 minutes before passengers will be cleared to leave the ship. But I have been in ports where we left the ship within 5-10 minutes of docking. YMMV depending on the port itself.

I recommend that you try to plan on being back on board the ship at least an hour before departure (especially for tendering). I always allow for an hour just in case. The ship will not wait for you (unless you are on a ship sponsored excursion). There are countless horror stories here on CC and YouTube on pier runners and the ship leaving passengers behind.

Have a great first cruise

Cheers

Tom

First cruisers should be getting off the ship at docked ports within 30 minutes of arrival. At Grand Cayman, then tendering process will add time. I'd try to be close to the front of the tendering line.

Agree with the others. Often, you can walk right off and back onto the ship with no waiting at all. However, there is usually a bit of wait when the ship first docks. With a tender port, allow a LOT of extra time to get off of the ship. You mentioned that you're on a ship sponsored excursion. When your excursion tickets are delivered to your cabin, there should be a document that tells you what time you should be on the tender, and RCCL excursions are given a priority on them.

Just remember to call it a "Ship". 😀

Most times when we've booked ship's excursions, there is information with the tickets that has you meet in the theatre or lounge beforehand, and they will give you a numbered sticker and take you out in groups. They try to keep the groups together, and it is not likely you will have time to wander off for lunch or anything else. It varies by port, but sometimes the process is very organized (in Georgetown, after you get off the tender, they have a fairly well organized waiting area), and sometimes it's utter chaos. Once you get off the ship, you may need to look around on the pier to find the group you are supposed to be with if you did not get off the ship as a group. I don't think you'll have any problems in Cozumel because most groups take a ferry (assuming you're going to the mainland for your excursion). Enjoy!