Buying my cruise insurance and having a brain freeze!

ready2cruzagain

Was getting ready to purchase our insurance for our up coming cruise and can't remember if I include port fees and taxes.:confused:

Pretty sure they are refundable if we cancel but can't remember for sure. Oh and while I am at it, if the prepaid drink gratuities refundable if we have to cancel? Also, we used a cruise next certificate for $250 do I include that in the insurance amount?

I only want to include things in the insurance that are nonrefundable since that is all they will refund.

It stinks to get old lol.:(

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I wouldn't worry too much about that, to be honest. I priced out several plans and found there are wide ranges of coverage at a given plan price point.

For example, if you do all of the accounting that you mentioned, you might find that your non-refundable costs come to $2,312 per person (total hypothetical here). If you priced coverage for $2,312 per person, you would arrive at a coverage price. I would suggest that you round up to the nearest $500 or $1000 and price the plan again. More often than not, you can get the additional coverage for the exact same price!

So, I will generally ballpark our costs (knowing full well that some of those costs might be refundable), price that plan, round up, confirm that the price is the same, and then purchase the higher coverage level.

I would include all of it since if it turns out to be cancel at the last minute you would be 100 percent out. I would not include the beverage package you will get that back. It is just out of pocket money that you will be refunded and that does include taxes and port charges. Also include flight cost if you are flying.

I would include all of it since if it turns out to be cancel at the last minute you would be 100 percent out. I would not include the beverage package you will get that back. It is just out of pocket money that you will be refunded and that does include taxes and port charges. Also include flight cost if you are flying.

No flight and motels are all refundable.

Talk to the ins company... Last trip they advised me to only insure the non-refundable portion, which was really hard to find/figure out.... Some portion of the fees is non-refundable. They also told me to only insure what I had paid to date, then Increase the insurance coverage as the dates and payments progress.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked a cruise earlier this week and had some of the same questions. I did refuse the cruise line insurance ($99/pp) and booked private insurance ($92/total). I did note that the insurance company had "bands" of costs that were the same (like Pitzel noted), as I was trying to figure out if I should include this or that...and the cost for the insurance was the same with or without. But you have indicated that the cost drops substantially, so you are probably on the cusp of the price break. You might want to evaluate how much loss you would be willing to absorb for the price difference; for example, if you save the $70, are you willing to gamble the $150 difference? After all, it is really only $80 additional out of pocket, versus paying the $70 and not using it. Over several cruises, it might add up. But your peace of mind is paramount.