Using Cell Phone as a Hot Spot

Bernbun29

No offence intended, but I would never work for a company that showed such disrespect for my personal time. Whether you agreed to it or not is irrelevant, a professional company that really cared about its employees would have told you straight up to go and enjoy your holiday and not worry about work when on your holiday. That as I see it is a total and unforgivable outrage and I would never work for and respect a company that treated its employees like that. You invest a lot of time into your holidays and the time off work allows you to be more relaxed, refreshed and deliver a more productive performance at work.

I understand where you are coming from, but you don’t know the OP’s situation. I don’t know of any company when you just start that is willing to give you a week off that’s paid. Usually you have to accrue time off before you can use it. So instead of forcing him to cancel his vacation maybe the company was willing to let him count the days as worked for taking a couple of hours of calls etc. to me this is a great thing that the company would do for a brand new employee, if that’s what happened. I also don’t know many people that can afford to take an entire week off unpaid.

Also, there are many people that own their own business and may need to stay in touch on a vacation to keep things going.

While I agree, your vacation should be uninterrupted time, not even has the ability to do this. And if it’s a choice between doing some work or no vacation at all I can stomach a couple hours work the deck of a ship, in warm weather with an umbrella drink in my hand.