Maya Chan review - any Questions?

tmn1016

13 hours ago, BNBR said:

My last trip to Maya Chan, there was a lot of seaweed and essentially no smell from it.  People are overly sensitive.  Honestly, if it's a miss with the seaweed, then go get a cheap beach massage, hang out in the tree house and the bar, etc.  It takes a special kind of person to have a bad time at Maya Chan.  It's the ultimate chill Mexican hangout with insanely good service, drinks, and food.  Plus a homey vibe.  Dogs hanging out, etc.  Just go with realistic expectations about the seaweed.  Hit or miss.  

Agreed. My last trip there, the seaweed was really bad. I never stepped foot in the ocean, but still had the best day of my cruise. I did hang out in the pool for a good bit, which was nice. But even if they hadn't had it - it still would have been worth it. Maya Chan is simply the best beach club in the Caribbean. Hands down.

19 hours ago, UnaPalomita said:

I've seen a lot of posts on Tripadvisor about the bad seaweed smell at this place. Are these people over-exaggerating or is it okay sometimes? I figure it's hit or miss. The owners respond to a lot of the negative reviews on TA and see to get defensive over the seaweed. We've had a lot of seaweed at an AI in the Dominican Republic, but no smell.

Sadly, Costa Maya Area has been hit badly in recent years by the seaweed problem which has affected many  Caribbean beaches (predominantly those that are on east coasts). All beaches in Mahahual and south, face the same way and will be affected to some extent If the conditions are such that the sargassum is in the area. Some beach bars do a better job than others at clearing it, or have an off shore barrier of some sort.

Maya Chan tries hard to clear it but sometimes it comes in at an overwhelming rate.  At such times the smell can be really bad. So you are right, it can be hit or miss.