Diamond Princess

seattlecruiser

All we need is the data on the wind, she docks there when it isn' high.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

One MORE open Booking(s).

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Sapphire Princess 09/04

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Srphnx,

I had the same question. According to Weather.com the winds were around 7 Mph at 7PM (scheduled docking time). Interestingly enough, the winds were listed at around 28 mph two hours earlier (5 PM).

Yes gaschatt- that weather report was very accurate. Diamond Princess docked at 6:45 pm. Oosterdam docked at 6:00 pm - she was ready to dock earlier but laid off until a strong northerly squall blew by. Weather here has cleared this week. Looks great for three more ships this evening - The Sapphire Princess arrives at 5:00 pm, the 971 ft Norwegian Star at 6:00 pm and the Amsterdam at 8:00 pm. They all probably will be berthed earlier if they repeat last weeks times.

The port is very busy this weekend as the 95,000 ton U.S.S. John C. Stennis {a Nimitz class aircraft carrier} is visiting with her full wing of aircraft. She has over 6,000 crew aboard and departs Monday morning with some Canadian Naval ships for exercises off Hawaii.

Venture,

Do you work for the Port or just live in the area? Was there any local fallout to the "loose lips" on the Diamond Dry Dock. I was just curious if the public statement that was made regarding that caused enough trouble for Princess that they might not want to give Victoria the dry dock business.

Did you speak to any of the Diamond passengers this week? Any word on how far up Tracey Arm they got?

gaschatt,

No, I do not work for the Port, just a 'ship lover' from Victoria. This is a great city to observe all types of Vessels. All ships destined for Canadian Ports e.g., Vancouver, Roberts Bank, New Westminster,must board a Canadian Marine Pilot. The pilot station is located next to the cruise ship terminal and the 'rendezvous' area to board the Pilot is a mile off of the Victoria waterfront. We can view the boarding and disembarking of the Pilots quite well. Eighteen miles directly across from Victoria is Port Angeles Washinton. That is theAmerican Pilot Station for ships docking or leaving American Pacific Northwest Ports. Tonight,because it is clear, I will be able to see the Oosterdam, Diamond Princess and Norwegian Spirit come out of Puget Sound and head to Port Angeles to 'drop' the Pilots.

Have not heard a whisper re: "loose lips". Victoria Shipyards had a truck at Regal Princess on her last two visits. Over the years , they have done a tremendous amount of work for P&O Princess. The Spirit Of London was converted to the Sun Princess with ,many subsequent major drydockings. The original 'Love Boat' Pacific Princess was taken down to no paint and totally redone inside and out. The now Sun Princess also has had drydockings here. With Carnival having a large interest in the floating drydocks in the Bahamas, I do think we will see less of the Carnival owned ships.

Sorry, did not wait to speak to any passengers from the Diamond Princess last night.

The Diamond is a very lovely looking ship. Her very heavy hawsers are pink! They really make her look like a Princess....

I'm just back from the 6/12 Diamond. the cruise was perfect except for some drizzle in Juneau(to be expected)! weather was amazing in Tracy Arm! About 65, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. The ship got all the way past the 1st glacier, and quite close to Sawyer Glacier. There was only one boat closer, a little 50 ft(?)tour boat.

red

Thanks, that's what we wanted to hear. Did you enter Tracey Arm late morning or early morning? The Diamond has been doing early morning, but I'm guessing the Sapphire is taking that slot now, and the Diamond is doing the 11AM entry listed on the itinerary.

[This message was edited by gaschatt on 06-20-04 at 12:13 AM.]

[This message was edited by gaschatt on 06-20-04 at 12:13 AM.]

yes, the Sapphire was leaving Tracey Arm as we entered. The "twins" are the largest ships ever to traverse the entire length of the fiord. Its so narrow at the end, you hold you're breath as this massive ship turns around on her axis to begin the journey out! It's amazing!

red

I'm so glad you were able to get to see the glaciers at Tracy Arms. We weren't able to get all the way in on our 5/22 Diamond princess trip. I'm thinking about repeating the same itinerary next year just so we can see Juneau and try to get to the end of Tracy Arms. What we did see was so beautiful..

Archived