Skagway White Pass train trip which trip to take

Londongirl8

I am attempting to decide which is the best train trip for us. We are looking at the round trip train from our cruise ship dock but are wondering if we should do the one way trip and coach back or the longer trip to Bennett.

My mobility is not good, I can get on and off a coach okay, but if there is no real advantage to doing train up and bus back I could decide not to do that, but I don't want to miss out on something important. If anyone could advise me on that it would be very helpful.

Also as regards the longer trip to Bennett I do tire after about a 4 hours trip due to health problems but I would push myself to do the longer trip if you got to see a lot more or is the scenery very much the same as you would see on the round trip just more

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did a van up as far as Emerald Lake and then we backtracked and had lunch. We boarded the train in the afternoon and the train ride was less than 2 hours.

I really enjoyed the van portion as we had about 18 on the van and we made frequent stops. You could choose if you wanted to get out at each stop.

Here's the tour I took - https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus/

You can take a look at their options and see if it works for you.

Enjoy Skagway!

Patti

We did the Emerald Lake trip with Chilkoot Tours as well. We took the van / bus up and train back. It's a fairly long day, but we still had time to look around town on the way back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went with DIY Dave up to Emerald Lake and were dropped off at Carcross to do the train through Bennett. The train and road go on different sides of the valley so the scenery is different. Also, if you go up to Emerald Lake, (either taking the train back from Carcross or from Fraser), you see more of the scenery than if you just go on the bus up to Fraser and train back. The bus provides the opportunity to get off, admire the waterfall and the views, and take a picture.

Part of the point of taking the train from Carcross was the 40 minute stop where one can get off the train and see the gold rush town of Bennett. If you have mobility issues and tire easily, you may not enjoy that. Probably better to do the shorter train trip either the one where the bus goes up to Emerald Lake and back to Fraser or going just up to the summit and back from Fraser.

Dyea Dave Tours and Chilikoot Tours both get good reviews. They use smaller buses (18 to 20 passengers max but often much less). It's more pleasant that way than in the 40 passenger tour buses which crowd the small stops so much and take more time to unload and load at each stop.

We went with DIY Dave up to Emerald Lake and were dropped off at Carcross to do the train through Bennett. The train and road go on different sides of the valley so the scenery is different. Also, if you go up to Emerald Lake, (either taking the train back from Carcross or from Fraser), you see more of the scenery than if you just go on the bus up to Fraser and train back. The bus provides the opportunity to get off, admire the waterfall and the views, and take a picture.

Part of the point of taking the train from Carcross was the 40 minute stop where one can get off the train and see the gold rush town of Bennett. If you have mobility issues and tire easily, you may not enjoy that. Probably better to do the shorter train trip either the one where the bus goes up to Emerald Lake and back to Fraser or going just up to the summit and back from Fraser.

Dyea Dave Tours and Chilikoot Tours both get good reviews. They use smaller buses (18 to 20 passengers max but often much less). It's more pleasant that way than in the 40 passenger tour buses which crowd the small stops so much and take more time to unload and load at each stop.

I have ridden the train both up and back as well as the bus up and back. My last visit to Skagway, I took the Lake Bennett excursion and really enjoyed the scenery, the excellent lunch, and the private car (only 12 of us in the car). The stop at the Lake Bennett station and museum was around 30 minutes with the opportunity for a hike if desired. The guides, Conductor, and Engineer were available to chat with passengers during the stop.

Here are some photographs from Lake Bennett:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/yukon-territory/lake-bennett-yukon-territory/

Here is a photograph of the private railroad car:

P6086726-2.jpg

One of the things I found a bit strange about this is how all the descriptions of distinctions were so opaque to me until I saw this map (link).

I recommend a bus/van combo.....

• you get to see BOTH sides of the canyon.
  • sit on the left side of the train up, but right side of the train down.
  • sit on the right side of the bus going up, but the left side of the bus going down
  • I love the Yukon combo as you get to go further North