Another Drink Package Question

yvonneh

I have spoken to 2 different ship service representatives and received conflicting information.

Could someone please tell me what the real answer is?

Is there any advantage/savings in buying the Elite Beverage Package before we sail?

The fist rep told me we would save $5 PP per day on either package if purchased at least 3 days prior to sailing.

The second (just now) said the only savings is with the Signature Drink Package, that the Elite is the same cost beforehand or onboard? :confused:

I have spoken to 2 different ship service representatives and received conflicting information.

Could someone please tell me what the real answer is?

Is there any advantage/savings in buying the Elite Beverage Package before we sail?

The fist rep told me we would save $5 PP per day on either package if purchased at least 3 days prior to sailing.

The second (just now) said the only savings is with the Signature Drink Package, that the Elite is the same cost beforehand or onboard? :confused:

We just got off the Westerdam. The current policy as of November is the regular package (SBP) is $44.95 per cruise day if you purchase it online at least 4 days prior to your cruise. If you purchase it onboard, the price jumps up $5 to $49.95 per day. Both prices plus 15% service charge. The Elite package (EBP) is $10 more, $54.95 per day, plus 15% service charge, but they do not increase the cost if you buy it onboard. Only the SBP has that $5 penalty for waiting to purchase it onboard. Some have suggested they are trying to discourage people from using their OBC to purchase the beverage package. They would rather have you use HAL provided OBC for items that have a much higher markup than beverages., eg shore excursions, spa treatments, photo packages, etc.

We just got off the Westerdam. The current policy as of November is the regular package (SBP) is $44.95 per cruise day if you purchase it online at least 4 days prior to your cruise. If you purchase it onboard, the price jumps up $5 to $49.95 per day. Both prices plus 15% service charge. The Elite package (EBP) is $10 more, $54.95 per day, plus 15% service charge, but they do not increase the cost if you buy it onboard. Only the SBP has that $5 penalty for waiting to purchase it onboard. Some have suggested they are trying to discourage people from using their OBC to purchase the beverage package. They would rather have you use HAL provided OBC for items that have a much higher markup than beverages., eg shore excursions, spa treatments, photo packages, etc.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to clarify that for me!:)

I purchased a SBP for myself sometime ago to take advantage of the $5/day discount. My DW’s SBP will be automatically added when we board and we have enough SBC to cover hers. Even though it’s $5 more, we can use the SBC to cover it and not have to pay ahead of time to save the $5/day on hers. Just a thought.

To clarify.... There is no "discount" for purchasing the SBP online, ahead of the cruise, that is a marketing pitch from HAL. The price has been $44.95 per day for a long time (plus 15% SC), purchased online or onboard. Only last January, 2017 did HAL impose a $5 per-day PENALTY for purchasing the SBP onboard. They want you to use your cold, hard cash to buy the package online. They do not want you to use your HAL issued OBC to buy it. If you have sufficient OBC, then go for it. But that OBC could be used for your HSC or some shore excursions. If you can do it, buy it online ahead of the cruise and save the $5 penalty.