2017 17 Night Tahitian Treasures cruise review

cruisefam38

Owing to the laggardly pace of publication of my review of our recent Celebrity cruise, I am going to post the review here. I am also motivated to post this copy here because of continued threads about the Norovirus outbreak on the Solstice. My perspective is my own:

I think this itinerary was mis-named. For me, South Pacific Treasures would have been more accurate, because it was traversing the South Pacific ocean that was the purpose of this cruise, with a total of 11 sea days. One day we were treated to 4-5 meter waves, another day it was a pacific ocean, smooth as a lake. Overnight of Oct. 5, we were treated to a beautiful full moon reflected on the water. As attractive as most of the stops were, spending time on open water was the central reality of this re-positioning cruise.

Embarkation in Honolulu was smooth, with a different look and feel, as we each received a shell necklace as we entered the registration area.

We cruised the Inside Passage on the Solstice last year, and it seemed a fair number of other passengers had previously been aboard this ship, allowing a comfortable familiarity for us. Certainly for us, the other passengers help make this a very enjoyable vacation. The many Australians we met during this trip were individually and as a group friendly and good-humored.

The Cruise Critic meeting was well attended by cruisers and officers. Hotel Director Andrea and the Cruise Director Ben were very visible and active leaders throughout the cruise, one never knew where and when either of them might appear.

Parag was our stateroom attendant, and he performed his duties with a smile, and proved quick to respond to both face-to-face requests and to phone calls. I think that section of Deck 11 needs a new vaccum cleaner, though. I twice witnessed him using the vaccum over carpet that immediately after looked like it had not been cleaned.

Blu was good for us. Telma runs a tight ship herself. Jane (zJanya?) was a fine hostess. Alex and Restiari, Paul and Hanny, Wulan, Yetis and Burak, Sachin, Josip, Ronnie, Kartini, and Ansil all provided friendly, attentive service. Annga was again our preferred sommelier, what a pleasure to see her smile again. Over 17 nights, the menu of course had repetition, and constraints of resupply further limited some of the potential choices. Considering there was some understandable drop-off in fresh produce, we admired the way Celebrity handled the global logistics of supplying our cruise.

Rose of Captain's Club had plenty to do, and was once again helpful to us.

Ben was ok as CD. Alexa and Nick ran trivia, both injecting some dry humor into the sessions. The house band Sound Stars was as good as any we have seen during our 16 years cruising. They played a range of popular music, covering different styles well, with some good interpretations thrown in. Prisma, the string duo, were excellent throughout the cruise, and I made an effort to hear them play. Starlight, the fusion quartet were good. Duo, the acoustic pairing were not as good for us as the other performers. Of the stage productions, the acrobatic/aerial show was much better than the other productions. Yoomi was good, as was Denny Elliot.

The entire Hotel Staff deserves kudos for their efforts to clean and re-clean the ship during the Norovirus outbreak. Days before the cruise ended, thorough cleaning and re-cleaning of some state rooms commenced, pillows and linens were removed.

The housekeeping and restaurant staffs, I think the entire Hotel management and staff, worked hard long hours to contain and rectify this outbreak. People were quarantined, care was offered and given. We very much appreciate all the efforts the service staffs made on the passengers behalf.

The Polynesian Enrichment team provided ukulele lessons that I attended when they were available. They also were offering hula and other dance lessons, and were well attended, again when they were officially scheduled. It was odd to see them aboard and stating they were willing to hold classes that for some reason weren't being scheduled by the activities director.

We made good use of the fitness center.

If the meters worth of missing wood railing on decks 14 and 15, and the connecting stairways; and the amount of rust clearly visible on our veranda and other parts of the ship are any indication, then the Celebrity Solstice best not wait until 2019 or even later to be totally refurbished.

- In the next post I will add reviews about two excursions I took initially posted on another social media site.

Excursion for Lahaina, Maui

I had been looking forward to a Discovery Dive since booking with Banyan Tree. After quickly disembarking from the cruise ship, I arrived at the designated meeting place, where Caitlin soon met me. She oriented me to proper scuba safety mind-set and procedures. She outfitted me in well-maintained scuba equipment and then continued instructions in shallow water. The shore entry dive went well with at least two dozen species of fish visible (tangs, butterfly, unicorn, triggerfish, et.al.), a moray eel, and a sea turtle sighting. I accepted the offer of a second dive, where Caitlin once again set a thoughtful and deliberate pace. In addition to the varieties of surgeon and damsels we had already seen, there were also additional sea turtles, and three white tipped reef sharks swimming close enough to admire their beauty. I found the collapsed pier to be an underwater habitat of small wonder.

Throughout, Caitlin provided instruction and guidance that comes from a foundation of calm love for Earth's marine world. I felt safe, and at the end of the dives, also felt a deep sense of peace. The dives occurred three weeks ago, yet looking at the pictures for the first time this morning, once again I marvel at the experience. Although I was very fortunate to receive an unexpectedly private dive tour on the coast of Maui, I also found it sad that other would-be sea adventurers had not found Caitlin and Kevin.

Excursion while visiting Bora Bora

Reef Discovery Snorkeling

During our mid-October cruise line stop, 8 fellow passengers who were formally strangers to each other, gathered to be met pier-side by a representative of Reef Discovery. We boarded in a red and white power boat. Ben was our guide and skipper for the morning, providing information about reef life and Bora, Bora. We made four stops for snorkeling: the lagoon stops allowed us to see a variety of species of surgeons, butterfly fish, sergeant major, moorish idol etc, a barracuda, and spotted eagle rays. The stop outside the reef gave us an opportunity to see and share the water with manta rays and black tipped reef sharks. The outing was safe, fun, and informative. The sum equaled more than the parts, and we had an excellent time making a memorable circle of Bora Bora. Over the course of the next few days, when seeing one of our fellow passengers from that excursion, we all agreed what an excellent experience we had enjoyed.

I too was on this cruise ... I’ll be interested to read the rest of your reviews. We found the cruise generally to be fun, informative, entertaining and a wonderful dining experience. We had use of Michaels Club where we met some wonderful people who are now our newest friends and dined in Luminae where the staff were attentive and accommodating and the food excellent - and although sometimes repetitive we didn’t mind as it was delicious - some of our favourite meals were repeat offerings.

Hello Yvonne1967! I remember you from the roll call, and I think we met at the Connections gathering.

We've sailed suite class 4 times so far, and enjoy Michael's Club thoroughly, and have had nothing but good experiences in Luminae. The cruise we have booked for 2018 is also in a Sky Suite, and that is something to look forward to having.

While in Sydney, we had good meals at The Spice Room (Indian, very good food although a loud room), and Medusa Greek Taverna, another very good meal. Munich German Restaurant was good, with live music for their Oktoberfest. The weather wasn't the best that weekend, Oct. 20 - 24, however it was good to revisit your wonderful city and see some of the sights.

Thanks for the review. We enjoyed this cruise to celebrate my retirement in 2014.

Like you we enjoyed the magic of the sea days....Life genuinely slowed down and relaxation took over. Another bonus we found was genuinely getting to know fellow guests and staff, some of whom we met up with again in 2016 and will meet up with again in March next year. We also had access to Michael’s Club it was lively and enjoyable!

For us, traveling from the UK, we made the most of the trip by spending a week in Hawaii first and several days in Sydney after.

Enjoyable review, thanks!

Did this fantastic itinerary back in 2014 with our two children. We all still rave about that trip, it was one of our favourites. We had a week in Hawaii 1st before sailing home.

We have promised ourselves to repeat this trip, aside from a visit to beautiful Bora Bora all this sea days are a real enticement to us!

Have been aboard Solstice twice more since then, our last time was straight after her soft refurb in October last year. We were also quite surprises at how little seemed to have been done (I understand a lot of behind the scenes work occurred).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are welcome, riclop. and thank you for the feedback, Keith1010.

While we were in Hawaii before the cruise, we used http://godspeedadventures.com/ for a circle island tour. We weren't as adventurous as some of the folks in these pictures and videos, however Robert gave us a good taste of Oahu on a Circle Island tour. Literally a taste, in that we had Dole Pineapple ice cream, Oahu chocolate and coffee, and food truck fare. I don't understand the attraction of eating out of truck, might be a generational difference. When I worked construction back in my able youth, the food trucks that rolled around for lunch were derisively called "roach coaches". Now trucks have mobile kitchens and have "gourmet" food.

QE2:

Driven by bottom line, expediency of the moment decision making, there is so much cost cutting in the cruise industry, one wants to believe that better than basic maintenance is being performed. Passengers seem to care more for the ships than investors.

Hello chemmo, it is always nice to see your name on a thread. After we disembarked, my wife and I speculated that we could re-board that day and do the the itinerary back up to Honolulu. Maybe after a month, I would have had enough of passing through the South Pacific.

To paraphrase the cartoon character Homer Simpson, " hmmmmm.... Bora Bora"

Must say I love your narrative style! Really have caught a flavour of your cruise experiences! We are snorkelers rather than divers but, other than the Maldives, Bora Bora takes some beating!

We didn’t particularly notice maintenance issues on Solstice in 2014 or 2016 but perhaps we weren’t looking too closely....I do hope that the much advertised upgrades do enhance the whole ship....

Thanks again for a really readable and enjoyable review!

We did this cruise in 2015 & 2016 and are booked to do it again in 2018 .

The first time we were a little apprehensive about the thought of so many sea days however we soon got over that ,and now , that is part of the attraction . Only once saw another ship at sea between Honolulu and NZ .

The thought of only one air flight and cruising home to Sydney are other benefits for us . We are really over air travel .

We sail on Aqua level and really enjoy the somewhat quieter and relaxed feel of Blu restaurant ( the food is good too ), not particularly excited about the spa benefits. Possibly old age talking here .

We find the ports in Tahiti interesting, not so much Papeete, but Bora Bora and Moorea are great , plus the Bay of Islands in NZ . We like a trip around Bora Bora swimming with the rays and sharks , only the black tipped ones .

Tend to organise our own shore excursions , partially as always feel a bit ripped off on the ship organised efforts , but are happy doing our own thing ., Celebrity not the only one guilty of that .

We really like the whole layout and feel of the ship and have always found her in good order and the staff very helpful and friendly. Always somewhere to sit in the public areas and reasonable presentations in the theatre on sea days.

Last trip we found the CD somewhat over the top but that is a matter of personal taste , he spoke too fast .

We sailed in her again last February from Auckland to Sydney and were just as happy although thought the shelter things they had put on the lawn a complete waste of time , evidenced by the lack of usage by passengers. The high cost to use them would be another factor.

We usually spend a few days in Honolulu prior to the cruise and next year will sail POA while there . Past experience tells us the POA is at a somewhat lower level than Solstice, but the ports are great .

I suspect the 2018 Cruise will not be our last , health permitting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Aussiejack:

On our recent cruise we spoke with a couple, and I overheard a couple discussing the POA around Hawaii. Each couple had come to the same conclusion: POA had been a good way for them to enjoy Hawaiian islands, and they each felt the Solstice was a notch or a few better in overall cruise experience. I hope your health continues to give permission.

During two previous trips to New Zealand, we had spent a total of a month on the north and south islands. On this cruise stop to Bay of Islands, the weather went from typical partly cloudy and breezy in he morning, to clearing and breezy, to wonderful by sail away. We didn't do an organized tour. We found a doable hike just behind Pahia, took the ferry to Russell, and shopped at the craft markets in both towns. It was a splendid day, with a very favorable money spent / enjoyment ratio.

chemmo, I think the intentions and plans to burnish and upgrade the Celebrity fleet are good, and might well enhance the cruise experience.