dialysis in Cancun?

Thank you both, the kidney is going really well right now, very blessed that such a thing as deceased donor transplants exists for people like me who do not have a living donor option :)

Hopefully the Kidney is still kicking on in 2019 and I can go - my fiancé and I had one booked on Voyager OtS March ‘15 but had to cancel it as was still on Dialysis so while I am excited I still have that fear in the back of my head of the kidney failing how ever it’s better to have something booked just in case than not have it booked and wished you had! But first.. Carnival Legend in March :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lisalila, Best of everything to you. My husband has recently begun dialysis (peritoneal) after having had a transplant that lasted almost 20 years. During those years with the transplant, we enjoyed many cruises--several of them long, Panama Canal and transatlantic. Just wanted to give some support and best wishes for your transplant. they can last many years and I'm sure yours will, too. You will love the freedom the transplanted kidney provides. We sure do miss our kidney but are grateful for all those years we had. And...we have a 14 day Carnival cruise planned for Jan 18. Like you said, we will just bring ALL our supplies with us!! Again, best of everything to you.

Retcol, my advice is to carry on the dialysis solutions yourself. My dad's first cruise after going on PD was a problem. Between the solutions being delivered and the muster drill his supplies were nowhere to be found. We followed the procedure given to us from Carnival and Baxter. He had to get off the ship for our Panama cruise. I got off with him. We caught up with the ship in Panama.

Ok, my apologies for going a little off topic.

Are you serious? Do you think there are no people living in Mexico who require dialysis? Those that do, where exactly do you think they receive their treatment from?

Unbelievable.

I'm with you on this one. People all over the world get dialysis and other medical treatments. The US ranks 37th, not 1st according to the World Health Organization.

The hospital in Cozumel is well equipped and can do lots of procedures. It is also very clean. Many of the crew members, including senior officers, have their required Carnival medicals done in Cozumel, and also go to the dentist there.

I had the good fortune to see a dentist on Nov 15 in Cozumel. The office was spotless, the dentist was very professional and he did a beautiful job replacing a lost filling at a super reasonable price.

There was a steady stream of crew members from RCCL and Carnival coming in to the office to see the dentist or make appointments for the coming weeks.

I liked the guy so much that I am going back in January while stopping there on a cruise to have a cavity filled and my teeth cleaned. I am going to fly down for a week in the spring and have 2 crowns replaced and have any remaining amalgam fillings replaced with composite. I can fly first class, stay in a nice all inclusive and get the dental work done all for less $$$$ than my dentist would charge for the crowns alone.

Lisalila, Best of everything to you. My husband has recently begun dialysis (peritoneal) after having had a transplant that lasted almost 20 years. During those years with the transplant, we enjoyed many cruises--several of them long, Panama Canal and transatlantic. Just wanted to give some support and best wishes for your transplant. they can last many years and I'm sure yours will, too. You will love the freedom the transplanted kidney provides. We sure do miss our kidney but are grateful for all those years we had. And...we have a 14 day Carnival cruise planned for Jan 18. Like you said, we will just bring ALL our supplies with us!! Again, best of everything to you.

Thank you Retcol, good luck to your husband during his Dialysis journey. 20 years is definitely amazing! right now I am aiming for 1 then 2 then 3 etc.. this is my second transplant so I know what to expect and all that, my first one only lasted 2.5 years but it was a great 2.5 year break from Dialysis. I managed to do a 2 week trip over to the US and do a cruise to the Bahamas plus visit DisneyWorld and Universal. Hopefully this time around the little kidney decides to stick around for much much longer :)

I was on Home Heamo so can't travel with my machine, I first did PD but wasn't dialysing properly on it and after 6 cases of Peritonitis in a year they decided that maybe my body just didn't like the tubing :( so I was switched and felt 1000% better on heamo which is what it is all about at the end of the day although there were definitely times I had wished I was still on PD - travelling and everything is just so much easier on PD. In the end before my transplant I was dialysing at home 4 nights a week for 6-7 hours a run so I was getting pretty good blood and fluid clearances.

Good luck with your cruise and I hope your husband get's another transplant ASAP so you can enjoy life once again!

Retcol, my advice is to carry on the dialysis solutions yourself. My dad's first cruise after going on PD was a problem. Between the solutions being delivered and the muster drill his supplies were nowhere to be found. We followed the procedure given to us from Carnival and Baxter. He had to get off the ship for our Panama cruise. I got off with him. We caught up with the ship in Panama.

Ok, my apologies for going a little off topic.

Wow that is awful!! I do think carrying the supplies on yourself (or at least a day or two worth) is the best idea, it's like medications or anything you HAVE to have that first day/night - you wouldn't check them in if you needed them that night or something. Hopefully the cruise was still enjoyable despite the fiasco start?