Allure for Thanksgiving 2017- a review

sprint180

Lol- guess you went to Gilberti's restaurant and met Lenore- she is very proud of her restaurant. I guess for those of us who do NOT raise our own beef, it's pretty good. Most of their food and desserts are made from scratch. But yeah, if you're not a talker i can see where she'd drive you nuts!

Looking forward to the rest!

Gilbert’s is the best and Lenore is the hardest working person you will ever meet. Don’t talk bad about that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Christmas Decorations

I was hoping they put up Christmas decorations while we were on the ship. They did but I guess I thought there would be more. There was a huge tree and hanging snowflakes. Also, much more around the ship. I only have a few shots of it.

enhance

enhance

And of course garland and such around also.

Rooms 9714 & 9718

These are ocean view balcony rooms. 9718 was the boys room. It smelled terrible from the minute they walked in, like a locker room. I am so glad it wasn't my room. I'm sure you go nose blind after a while but they spent all their time except sleeping in the girls room. Ours smelled fine.

There were 4 in each room. We had plenty of space. My kids never unpack so they all lived out of suitcases and only hung up a few things. I unpack everything as I don't like to have to get in and out of a suitcase. Mine were stored under the bed and theirs just sat around the room.

I also hung up decorations for my daughters birthday. I used magnets on the ceiling. to hold them up.

enhance

Our room at night with the beds out and the decorations.

enhance

The boys had a different steward and he set up the room differently.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The dispenser is a shampoo/conditioner. They leave bars of soap by the sink.

There are also three hooks on the door and two hooks by towel racks to hang things from. The bathroom door has a space at the top if you are one to bring those hanging shoe organizers.

enhance

So sorry for your loss.

Great review. We were on Allure last yeau. Love the ship. Look forward to reading more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thank you, we miss her.

I'm not a writer but I had so many question about the rooms and such when I was researching I hope this helps someone.

Plug ins

It might be odd to put this in here but here is what we did about plug ins. Now days with everyone using cell phones and cameras being charged with the usb ends I decided to take a usb hub because I knew there would only be one plug in probably. I also took a power strip not knowing which would be better. Well I really didn't need to take either because my kids never used their phone. one took a few pictures with hers but not many. So there really wasn't much of a need for the charging station. Here is how we had it set up though. when in use it was out but when it wasn't I just put it in this little cupboard by the mirror.

enhance

three plug ins were plenty for us.

enhance

enhance

Also the top drawer has a metal bottom so we could put the irons in there if they were still hot.

enhance

I had to post these last two pictures because first I wanted to say thanks to the people that played along and took pics with my kids and also, if this is you say hey.

Antoine (guy on far right) was my "partner" for the final Quest challenge! Glad you had a great time - we did as well!

Dining Room

We had my time dining. But, I had read that it is best to make reservations because if you don't you can wait a while to get in. And that is true. There seemed to always be a line of people waiting that didn't have reservations, especially on formal night. The reservation line just zipped on through. As I said I am a planner. So after I went online and found the daily compasses (not sure what they are called) I immediately booked our shows. After I booked our shows I then booked our dining. Some we had were for 5:30 and some were at 8: 15 or what ever the times are. One night I looked at my phone to check the time. I thought we only had a few minutes to get to our reservation so we rushed to the back of the ship just in time for our 8:30 reservation. The host sent us right back. After we sat down my children told me that it wasn't 8:30 it was only 7:30. My phone hadn't changed times. I hadn't used it all cruise I just wanted to take some pictures with it so I hadn't noticed. The host never said anything so I guess it all worked out. As I have no pictures so I guess I will show you a pic of my Thanksgiving dinner.

enhance

enhance

Our waiters were Joel and Gerado, think I have that right. I have never understood when people talk about how wonderful their waiters were and such but now I do. These two were awesome! They made sure my grandson had a "fancy drink" (glass of coke in a fancy glass) when we sat down and also a bowl of fruit. He thought they were wonderful. And they were funny. With out trying to be so it was a blast. We left them a nice tip for making our cruise better.

Other Eating Venues

We at at the "free" cafes and such around the ship. They were all fine but I have to say we didn't think any of the food on this ship was all that great. We were never hungry so it couldn't be that bad right. Funny story sorta. We were eating at the café in Central Park one day. We had eaten and the plates were there to be taken. A young man came to get them and as he was bringing them past me the plates slid and went right in my lap. There wasn't anything messy so it was no big deal. But the guy with him ran to get a rag immediately and my daughter said that the poor guy looked as he was waiting to get yelled at. Heavens no. I am a former waitress as are 3 of my daughters. Stuff happens, accidents happen. Even if there was something on the plates I could have gone up and changed. I assured him all was well and that it was fine. Goodness life is too short to worry about something like that.

Room Service.

We ordered from room service once. My kids ordered cheese cake - thinking they would get the stuff that is in the dining room - it is not. and I ordered Nachos. It costs $7.95 I believe, someone can correct me if I am wrong. It took about 40 minutes to get to the room. This was late in the evening. But the biggest turn off is they brought it to us on this trey. Yuck.

enhance

Many people might look at this picture and ask why did you take this, but I think everyone on this forum appreciates the sentiment.

enhance

Officially on vacation!

Check out those white Nebraska legs. Haven't seen sun in months!

I hate sitting and waiting, but I'm always happy to be here ;) Thanks for taking the time to report.

This time I swore I was going to take mention of the time and how long it took. Well I didn't. But, I know we didn't sit there long, that was good because my grandson was over the moon excited.

Excursions

Haiti

We didn't pay for an excursion here. We rode a boat that was docked just as we got off the ship, to a beach, sorry don't know the name of it. It was very calm there and easy for Lane to swim. Him and his Aunts and Uncles swam quite a while there, until dinner time that is. We also got chairs. He will find shade or sun for you. They are free, just tip the guy who gets them for you. We seen many people just go get their own also. Don't worry if you can't find your cash very fast. He will wait oh so patiently for you to get it out. He also told us where the food and bathrooms were. But he didn't fess up that info until we tipped him :p

There was a buffet with hamburgers and chicken and a couple of salads and fruit to eat. We were one of the first there so we didn't have to wait in a line. We came across a buffet in a different area and it had the same but also had packaged sandwiches to eat.

enhance

enhance

Nice calm water. This is the point that that button go moved on my camera and I started to get funky pictures. After we ate we decided to walk around and see what else was available. We walked through a market area, the venders weren't terribly aggressive but still a bit much for me. There was a survey at the end so I filled it out. We found another beach where waves were rolling in. That was fun for the adults but Lane didn't like the salt water in his eyes so they went and played in the splash park that is available.

Wavy beach

enhance

enhance

enhance

This beach is where all the canopies were set up. There was a rope along the side but it was knocked down. I wasn't sure what it was for. To keep those that didn't pay for the canopies out? I don't know.

We got back on the ship an hour or so early showered and went to eat.

Jamaica

In Jamaica we did a dolphin swim, the only thing my grandson wanted to do. We couldn't take cameras in so I don't have any pics to show but Lane loved it. The say the dolphins are "rescues" but I just doubt that. I don't remember how long we were actually in the water with them. They swam by us and did several tricks. Everyone took pictures with them and then you swim out and the dolphin pulls you back in. Before you get in they tell you, you don't need water shoes but if you have them by all means leave them on. You will be walking on a plastic walkway, and when we were there, there were a bunch of ropes on it and a piece of fence (?) that you walked over. Then in the water there was plastic walk way and it was very slimy and hard to stand up on. For me anyway. When you got out of the water you had lots of time before we left so you are suppose to go to the other attractions and spend your money. We didn't. On the way home our "guide" asked for tips pretty hard, so she got less of a tip then I was planning. I know, I'm not a nice person.

Cozumel

In Cozumel we did a Beach excursion. I'm pretty sure it was expensive but don't have paperwork to look at. We took a bus here.

enhance

It was really windy when we were there so not many people were in the water. They have those big blow up things in the water. Some of my kids did those, they had a blast. Lane and his parents went to the swimming pools and played in the water and Megan got a massage. Said it was cheaper and better then on the ship.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Also here were of course shops you could spend money at.

They had lockers to rent, I don't know for how much. There was a buffet in our package I'm not sure how many people were eating it. My kids ate the rice pudding I know.

The shows

We went to all the shows. They were OK. The diving was fascinating because I think, who would do that on a moving ship. But, I guess if you do do it, it probably isn't as big a deal.

Headliner - The group - started with a M - I can't remember the name. They put a 5 in the name instead of an s I believe. They do all the music without instruments, they just make noise. Yes, I realize that is a TERRIBLE explanation. They were good but I think they talked way more then necessary.

Blue Planet - They sang songs that referenced things to do with our planet. I liked it but I think the lead female singer was awful. However, the guy who sang Bridge Over Troubled Water was amazing.

The skating shows were fun, that isn't something we get to see around here.

Mama Mia was good, I have not seen it before.

Door Decorations

Some people ask about Door Decorations so I thought I'd put up what we seen. I was going to make some but ran out of time. These were just in our hall way so I'm sure there were a lot around the ship.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Watched a little girl and her grandma put these up. She was so excited, it was fun to watch her.

Towel Animals

enhance

I was hoping there would be towel animals, and there was. All except the last night. Lane was so excited when he walked in the room and seen them. Every night we tried to guess what would be there.

enhance

Some fun things we do for a cruise

Have a count down

enhance

I also make luggage tags from Shutterfly for everyone for each trip we do. Pics on the front and the year and where we are going on the back. Name and phone number

These have become a fun keepsake.

enhance

enhance

enhance

My daughter also made us t-shirts and I will get a pic when I get home and post those. We wore them on the first day, boy was it easy to find someone in a crowd if needed.

Dolphin Swim - I forgot to say that my daughter bought 2 pictures on a disk for $60. Otherwise they were priced ridiculously. For all eight of us the pictures would have been $400. They were really good pictures but no way was I spending that much. The sales lady tried to tell us what a bargain we were getting as if everyone chipped in it would only be $50 each.

Kids - I know some people don't like to travel with a lot of kids on board. On our ship tour the guide told us there were 1,700 kids on board. I hardly noticed them. There were only two times I did. Once on the promenade there were about 3 kids sword fighting with their balloons. I personally thought there was too many people to do this around but in reality they really weren't in anyones way at the time. And in the dining room one night there was a group that had two big tables. They put adults at one table and kids at another, maybe with a couple of adults and teens there. But as dinner came to a close no one was paying attention to the kids and they were tired of being there. I think it was formal night and there were tons of people going in and out. Their tables were right by the main walk way and the kids would go under the table and shoot out into the run way, run around the table, run out in front of the waiters and other guests. All the while the adults not paying a bit of attention. Finally as they were about to go I think it was Grandma went over and grabbed one of them and talked to him. But then he went right back at it. I don't consider that a kids fail, I think of that as more of an adult fail. I felt bad for the poor waiters trying to work around them.

So that probably ends my review. The week was so busy I know I left out tons of stuff but hope I got enough in there to be informational. The trip served its purpose and did what I wanted. I wanted to have us all together and have a great time and that is what we did. Sprinkle in a few stories about Grandma and it was perfect.

As far as the ship goes, we decided that we weren't interested in going on her or the others in her class again. It was probably our least favorite. It just wasn't us. That surprised me the most because I thought I'd love it. For us there was plenty to do but it lost that cruise feel. Just seemed like you were in a mall. But, how can a cruise be bad right!

Have a great day everyone

Dolphin Swim - I forgot to say that my daughter bought 2 pictures on a disk for $60. Otherwise they were priced ridiculously. For all eight of us the pictures would have been $400. They were really good pictures but no way was I spending that much. The sales lady tried to tell us what a bargain we were getting as if everyone chipped in it would only be $50 each.

Kids - I know some people don't like to travel with a lot of kids on board. On our ship tour the guide told us there were 1,700 kids on board. I hardly noticed them. There were only two times I did. Once on the promenade there were about 3 kids sword fighting with their balloons. I personally thought there was too many people to do this around but in reality they really weren't in anyones way at the time. And in the dining room one night there was a group that had two big tables. They put adults at one table and kids at another, maybe with a couple of adults and teens there. But as dinner came to a close no one was paying attention to the kids and they were tired of being there. I think it was formal night and there were tons of people going in and out. Their tables were right by the main walk way and the kids would go under the table and shoot out into the run way, run around the table, run out in front of the waiters and other guests. All the while the adults not paying a bit of attention. Finally as they were about to go I think it was Grandma went over and grabbed one of them and talked to him. But then he went right back at it. I don't consider that a kids fail, I think of that as more of an adult fail. I felt bad for the poor waiters trying to work around them.

So that probably ends my review. The week was so busy I know I left out tons of stuff but hope I got enough in there to be informational. The trip served its purpose and did what I wanted. I wanted to have us all together and have a great time and that is what we did. Sprinkle in a few stories about Grandma and it was perfect.

As far as the ship goes, we decided that we weren't interested in going on her or the others in her class again. It was probably our least favorite. It just wasn't us. That surprised me the most because I thought I'd love it. For us there was plenty to do but it lost that cruise feel. Just seemed like you were in a mall. But, how can a cruise be bad right!

Have a great day everyone

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am trying to decide on our next cruise and am thinking of Allure because we haven't been on this class yet. I've heard a lot of people say that this ship is an inward facing ship (aka, mall feel like you said) vs an outward facing ship (ocean views) so thank you for saying it is your least favorite ship. Gives me another perspective.