Is 8:15 too early a flight out of San Juan following a cruise?

With respect to flying INTO SJ a day early, do it if you can, especially if you're coming from or connecting through a city where weather could be an issue and especially if you're doing your own air (not going thru RCCL).

Twice in the past decade at this time of year, we've had weather or mechanical issues on a flight to the Caribbean that caused us to miss our flights entirely. On our last cruise, folks who had taken RCCL air had a myriad of issues and were literally running up the gangplank at the time the ship was leaving (the ship knew of their situation b/c they had taken RCCL's air program so were "waiting"). Even an extra day isn't a guarantee with all of the airline overbooking that now occurs. However, it does give you at least some flexibility in terms of getting on alternative flights/airlines, etc.

The ONLY time we've ever tried to do same day for a cruise was when we took the train to NJ (2 hour train ride) and even then arrived quite early. There are just too many variables -- including weather, mechanical issues, aircrew showing up late, missed connections, etc. As you well know, if you miss the ship, you have to figure out how you're going to catch up with it.

Obviously, if you can't get a hotel room in SJ, then you'll have to come in on the same day. But I'd try to arrive as early as possible (and/or make sure you have sufficient time for connecting if you have connecting flights), so that you have as much flexibility as possible in the event something goes awry. And then hopefully it won't!

Why on earth would you fly into SJU on day of cruise?? That is insane! Too many variables that could go wrong! Hell, I arrive at least one day ahead, even when traveling to my closest port of NYC, which is only a 5 hour car drive from me! Maybe it’s just me, and my plan ahead Type A behavior, but Inwould never risk flying in the day of.

Because there have been no hotel rooms available because of the hurricane. I just did it on December 3 because all the hotels cancelled my rooms. The hotel I had booked months ahead cancelled and rebookings at other hotels cancelled. Hopefully that will improve. The flight arrived at 12:45 and the ship left at 8:00 so we had good luck. The late sailing times out of San Juan means that flying in the same day is not so insane although I don't recomend it unless there is no choice.

On the return I booked an 11:50 flight because the other flights were at 6:00 and 7:00 PM. They let us off at 7:15 in the first group and we took a taxi to the airport. Easily made the 11:50 flight. I think we got to the airport and thru security at 8:35. Spent a couple of hours at the Global Lounge. An 8:15 flight woiuld not have been good to try for because you have to go thru customs on the pier. then take a taxi. Then the agricultural inspection and security at the airport.

Edited by Charles4515