Best Thing to See When Docked in Genoa?

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

I will be cruising with my grandmother in July on the MSC Seaview, and one of our ports in Genoa. We are really looking to visit a pretty Italian coastal village, but with Portofino, I continue to stumble upon reviews that it is not worth the very long travel time, and is very expensive. Are there any other picturesque fishing villages that would be good to visit? My grandmother does not hike, and I know Spanish, but no Italian, so we would probably not be good for anything that's too off of the beaten path. However, we could likely mange trains and buses.

Or, would it be best to use our time in Genoa to stay in Genoa, and spend more money on a nice excursion to Capri or Sorrento while docked in Naples? We are docked in Naples for 1PM-7:30PM, so our excursion will not be long, that is why I originally planned on splurging in Genoa and just spending some time in the city of Naples when we dock there.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me! :D

How about Camogli? It's a lovely seafront town, an easy 40 - 55 minute train ride (depends on the train you get) from Genova Piazza Principe station, which is walking distance from the port. At Camogli you can already see the sea as you step off the train.

It's not as fancy as Portofino but it's well worth a visit. There's a nice waterfront promenade with restaurants and shops.

You can get there on your own quite inexpensively (less than €4 per person each way for the train) and you don't need to speak Italian.

You can see some nice pictures of the town on their web page here: http://www.comune.camogli.ge.it/hh/index.php

How about Camogli? It's a lovely seafront town, an easy 40 - 55 minute train ride (depends on the train you get) from Genova Piazza Principe station, which is walking distance from the port. At Camogli you can already see the sea as you step off the train.

It's not as fancy as Portofino but it's well worth a visit. There's a nice waterfront promenade with restaurants and shops.

You can get there on your own quite inexpensively (less than €4 per person each way for the train) and you don't need to speak Italian.

You can see some nice pictures of the town on their web page here: http://www.comune.camogli.ge.it/hh/index.php

Thank you! Many photo had suggested Camogli as well, and I have been researching it, and I like what I see. That way, we can also come back and spend some time in Genoa as well. I believe it will be Monday, so no state museums, but do you have any suggestions of some things to do in Genoa for half a day?

Thank you again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Genoa some time ago and thoroughly enjoyed that city. You can easily access the old city by foot from the cruise port and enjoy its narrow streets, fountains and architecture. No need to leave Genoa!

I'd save my money for an excursion to Capri or Sorrento from Naples.... or better still, a trip to Pompeii!

https://genoaitaly.ca/