Seasickness

RobNC2001

Need some help with seasickness. Basically, I get seasick just looking at a puddle of water :( I've tried crystallized ginger and powdered ginger capsules without success. I've also tried the accupressure sea bands without getting much relief. I do have my doc give me a prescription for scopalomine and get it filled before I go but I hate the way it blurrs my vision and gives me dry mouth. Any other ideas?

Hi,

This has worked for me in the past and I'm about like you, I get sea sick at a drop of a hat pin. Zyrtec for my sinuses to keep everything open, Zofran for the Nausea (does not make you sleepy, no blurred vision) and I start the Ginger 2 weekes prior to sailing. 2 Cruises down and I"ve not felt a thing.

Happy Sailing

I get motion sick floating in the pool...so I understand.

I get an Rx for Antivert and use the sea bands. I start the antivert just before I board and then depending on the motion of the boat I take it at night.

I have never been sick and we have sailed in the pacific where the motion was relentless.

Good Luck...I hope you have a great trip and are pleasantly surprised at how well you feel.

Need some help with seasickness. Basically, I get seasick just looking at a puddle of water :( I've tried crystallized ginger and powdered ginger capsules without success. I've also tried the accupressure sea bands without getting much relief. I do have my doc give me a prescription for scopalomine and get it filled before I go but I hate the way it blurrs my vision and gives me dry mouth. Any other ideas?

I use a device called Relief Band.

http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

I am suseptible to motion sickness, but this thing works for me! It runs on a couple of watch batteries (and take several sets of extras with because it does burn through them if you are on setting 3 through 5 especially). They cost about $100, but are well worth it. I believe the concept is based on reflexology. I see them in places like dive shops.

Hi,

This has worked for me in the past and I'm about like you, I get sea sick at a drop of a hat pin. Zyrtec for my sinuses to keep everything open, Zofran for the Nausea (does not make you sleepy, no blurred vision) and I start the Ginger 2 weekes prior to sailing. 2 Cruises down and I"ve not felt a thing.

Happy Sailing

I am not crazy!! I posted on another thread that a good sinus medication (over the counter) works for motion. I use it for sea legs after cruises and it most certainly works.:)

I have found the best for me is Bonine. Take it once a day. I do not feel drowsy and I can drink (in moderation) with no side effects. I usually take it right before bed.

People react differently to medication, but for me the Bonine is terrific. Worth a try. Enjoy your cruise!

Bonine Bonine Bonine!!!! Got seasick on every cruise and also on the plane. These pills last for 24 hours so I take one starting the night before I fly and everynight til I get home. First cruise I was sick for 2 days until I tried these, and the second cruise I forgot to take it and an hour after sailing I was running to my room. These pills are like magic and they are small and easy to swallow. Good luck and happy cruising.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I will definitely be giving them a try!

With regard to cutting the patch in 1/2, a doctor friend suggested that this wasn't safe. Not sure exactly why. You may want to consult your physician.

I am not crazy!! I posted on another thread that a good sinus medication (over the counter) works for motion. I use it for sea legs after cruises and it most certainly works.:)

Nope!!! You're right on the money!!

Happy Sailing

With regard to cutting the patch in 1/2, a doctor friend suggested that this wasn't safe. Not sure exactly why. You may want to consult your physician.

Very interesting. A few years ago our doc suggested cutting them in half! :confused: If you do, remember that getting in the pool or ocean will disolve the med out of the patch.

My wife cuts the patch in half and has never had any problems with swimming in the ocean with it on. She gets seasick very easily so the loss of the med would be acutely noticable.

With the patch cut in half, you're only receiving approx. half the dosage but, for her it's still enough and the worst part of the side effects are pretty much relieved.

We just got back from Mariner OTS with my Mom who is VERY prone to sea sickness (and air sickness, car sickness, etc.). She was so nervous to go on a cruise because of it that this was her first cruise at 48 years old and after a lot of pleading from me she finally agreed to go. We took every imaginable sea sickness remedy out there with us: sea bands, ginger capsules, ginger altoids, Bonine, etc.

I had heard that Bonine works best (I don't get sea sick at all) so I told her to start taking it a few days before the cruise to get it in her system as someone on here recommended. She tried taking 1 pill before bed 2 nights before we left for the cruise and the following day she was very loopy and tired, as if she were drunk. She felt very "out of it". She is VERY sensitive to medications and I knew this, so this is why I had her start taking the Bonine a few days before so we could see her reaction. It is a good thing we did. After seeing her reaction I told her to take 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill in the evening before bed and this worked MUCH better for her. Someone else on these boards had recommended this approach and I'm glad they did. After she started doing it this way (the night before we left for the cruise) she was perfectly fine and never had any sea sickness whatsoever. She also never felt tired or loopy from the Bonine again. She had a great cruise even though we had 1 or 2 very rocky days on the ship! Hope that helps!

Sara

We got a touch of seasickness on our recent cruise to Hawaii - when we talked to the nurse in the clinic she recommended Bonine and slices of green apple. I don't know why the apple or which one worked but they did. My DH kept going up to the buffet for the apples even after the rough seas were over.

Archived