Anse Chastanet, has anyone been there to snorkel?

cruzzers

Just wondering if anyone has any information about the beach and snorkeling here.

Hi Terry & Beth,

I've posted about this spot as well. I've read that some of the island's best snorkeling can be found here. My concern was the drive from Castries down south to Soufriere where the resort is because I hear that driving that road induces major motion sickness. Also was wondering if 'cruisers' would be welcome at this resort for the day....it does look dreamy though.

Hope you get some useful responses.

Kathy

I can't comment on whether Anse Chasenet frowns on cruise passengers, but I can say that the roads are horrific. I've never seen anything like them. I recommend taking a water taxi or taking a snorkeling cruise if that is what you are interested in. I can tell you that St. Lucia's reefs are beautiful and very well preserved thanks to a very vigilent government who protects them.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a taxi (car) to Anse Chasenet and found the snorkeling to be really good. It was not the best I have ever seen, but definitely the best in the Carribean I have seen. The resort did not seem to frown on guests. The beach was not one of the best I have seen--pretty small and if I remember correctly, the beach had brown ugly sand and some oil on it from all the boats tied up to snorkle. I would do it again, but you have to really like snorkleing to make the trek.

• 2 months later...

We stayed at Ladera Resort back in 2002. They had an arrangement to use the beach at Jalousie Plantation, which is between the Pitons (also near Soufriere). I thought the snorkeling was quite nice and my husband and I were only 2 of about 4 people in the water snorkeling at the time. The resort did check our passes from Ladera, and I do not know if they allow day guests / beach access. Anse Chastanet is not far from the Jalousie and I would imagine the snorkeling to be quite comparable.

The drive from Castries, where the ships dock, is quite far. You should expect about a 2 hour windy curvy drive to Soufriere, although the distance is probably only about 30 miles.

We were on a land holiday about 6 years ago in St Lucia. We went on a boat trip to Anse Chasenet to snorkel, which we really enjoyed. A couple of days after we got back home, I got a really bad ear infection, which I was told was due to all the bacteria in the water. This year I'm intending to take ear plugs to wear while I'm snorkelling!

You have been warned! :D

We were in St Lucia about a week ago. We had an excursion planned with a dive operator but were misdirected when we got off the ship and missed him. If you book an outside excursion, make sure you know where they are going to pick you up. There is a taxi stand and then further down there is a ferry stand.

The taxi stand has lots of tour operators when you get off the ship and they told us that they knew the guy we booked with and to wait there and they would tell us when he arrived. The only thing was that he was arriving by boat and we were up by the cars. I would like to think this was an honest mistake but can't help but wonder. We ended up paying $35 each to go to Anse Chastanet by car when we missed our guy. It was an hour each way and there were 5 of us. When we left they told us that we would be able to dive. Once we got there, they said that they didn't have anything until 2 and we had to be back on the road by 2:15 to make it back to the ship. The reef was dead. The water was rough and they had us snorkel in an area that had boat traffic, few fish, rough water and a pretty strong current. Getting out wasn't too bad but getting back was harder. One of the girls, ended up having a panic attack and not snorkeling at all.

I don't want to be too negative. Our driver did stop for some really nice photos along the way but he also stopped for many of the sales people to hound us. I would much prefer to go by boat. You would get there faster and and the trip would be much more enjoyable. Personally, I wouldn't exert the effort to get to Anse Chastanet at all. Go somewhere closer so you have more time to enjoy yourself. When we finally got there, we only had about 2 hours there. Drinks were pretty expensive and they would not rent just fins. They wanted $30 or $35 for a snorkeling package so we did without the fins because we own everything else and only had a couple hours there. It was not worth the effort. I would look for someplace closer to the port or check for a ship's excursion. I think my husband said that the RCI people were on the cattleboat that was going out diving so they somehow made it there and back in time.

dkh...sorry to hear you had a bad exerience here. We did finally end up at the beach here but we were on a tour with COSOL and at our request, he took us there at the end of the tour to enjoy the beach and snorkeling. We had the best tour we have ever taken and saw just about every point of interest we had time to see. The beach here was not the highlight of the day by any means. It is a nice black sand beach and the water was nice and clear for snorkeling, but not worth the bumpy road to get there. We paid $40 per person for the all day tour so we defiantley got our money's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Anse Chastenet by road, which is utterly awful - and the main road (from Castries to the Pitons and beyond) is merely lousy, with nice little 14% grades a lot of the way. But the access road to Anse Chastenet from this lousy main road would shame a mountain goat - rutted, straight up and down, tilted and boulder-laden. Clearly they don't want many people coming that way.

IF you can water taxi, do so. How was the snorkeling and beach? The beach was nice, actually. No oil or gunk when we were there, nice soft sand. The water was a bit murky near the shore, but on the left (south) side of the beach, past the small dock and near the rocks, the visibility was better and for a few magical moments we were surrounded by literally thousands of fish at different depths in the water. it was beautiful and almost a bit unnerving, and was one of the most memorable sea experiences of my life. But I'd have rather taken a boat than that hideous road.

• 4 weeks later...

We got to go to Anse Chastenet by road and you are right....It was quite an experience getting there. We were on a tour with COSOL and insisted that we wanted to try it and so we did. The beach and snorkeling was nothing special but it was nice and our group was glad we got to experience it. If you want a truly great tour guide, we strongly suggest you go with COSOL. We had one very special day to be remembered forever!

• 4 months later...

We went on an excursion for divers/snorkelers to Anse Chastenet about 3 or 4 yrs. ago. (Dive St. Lucia? I've forgotten the name but we had to book through our ship as they had reserved them the whole day for a full and a half day tour). We did the full day tour so my husband could get in 2 dives. I did not see a water taxi stop there though we were there for most of the day. (I would think this might be too slow a way to get there since the water taxi makes stops and Anse Chastenet is a LONG way from Castries.)

I've snorkeled at many places in the caribbean, as well as in French Polynesia, the Bahamas, Florida and Hawaii, and I would rate the snorkeling I did in St. Lucia as "o.k.". Didn't come near the great snorkeling I've done off Grand Cayman, Cozumel and SOMETIMES St. John just as far as the caribbean goes. But it's enjoyable enough. The boatride is lovely and worth the trip. Last time we were there, we just did a cat ride to see the pitons as we had friends w/us. We were told Anse Chastenet resort was no longer hosting tour stops. (?) When we sailed past, the beach looked pretty empty there. We noticed at the cove just beyond it (around the land that juts out there) there were some boats w/people on the beach and were told that was the "new" snorkeling stop for the area. Can't say why or if this still the case. Before we went the first time, I did a lot of research on this board and others to try and find out if we would be allowed onto the Anse Chastenet resort's beach if we just took a cab there. Never really got an answer, but got lots of warnings about going there by cab - cost, ride, time involved. So if you can, I'd opt for boat tour of some sort. If you do go to Anse Chastenet, you can walk up the hill and see some of the rooms, etc. Ladera is very nearby, but I don't think you walk up to it. If you are lucky, on the way back to the port you might see some rainbows! We saw three!

Here is a private operator that someone here on CC recommended (10X?) http://www.islanddiversstlucia.com/schedule.htm (snorkeling is down the page a ways) Maybe that is the company that mlbcruiser is talking about. I have e-mailed them a couple of times and am really thinking about going with them. (If you have your own snorkel gear it is $60 for the day.

Here is his e-mail:

Hi,

Island Divers is more than happy to accommodate you. We are a small

Padi dive operation and cater for small numbers. You and your family/friends can enjoy an adventure with us.

We would pick you up for 8:25 a.m. at the information desk in Point Seraphine lobby. All our packages include transfers, 1-tank or 2-tank dives, all equipment needed, wet suits, a lunch menu to choose from, access to kayaks, beach chairs and snorkel equipment for your time spent in the reserve. If you are coming just for the day, you can have lunch and access to kayaks and beach chairs.

Please note if your ship is docked on the other side to Point Serphine If not docked at Point Serphine we will do the pick-up in the lobby of the La Place Coranage duty free complex or call us to re-arrange the pick-up point @ (758) 286 3353 once on island.

All this at a cost of;

2-tank pack /Beginner Class $135. (Add $15. for second dive)

1-tank pack $80.

Snorkel packs $70.

Day pass $60. Friends/family

Island Divers is located on the beach in the heart of the marine reserve and our facility is equipped with beach bar/ restaurant, showers and restrooms.

Please reply to confirm bookings.

Please call/e-mail us today to book or call 758 456 8110, after hours

(758) 286 3353 and ask for Terroll for more info.

Archived