Tahiti - Pre cruise at Intercontinetal Hotel

Old and Weak

We were thinking about booking the Princess pre cruise at the Intercontinetal Hotel in Papeete. Travel agent quoted a price of $579 per night for an over the water bungalow. Now we are wondering if it is worth it. Flight from Los Angeles does not arrive in Papeete until the evening which means we have missed part of the 2 day stay there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

We did a 3 day pre cruise at the IC in Tahiti. We were in a regular room. With diving, going into town, etc. we didn't spend much time in our rooms. We walked down to where the diff. bungalos were. From the outside they didn't seem to be that neat. Never saw anyone going into the water around them. They are also farther from the pools, bars, etc. They will pick you up in golf carts though. I personally would save the money.(You could get a mini on the Tahitian(if you didn't already) with the savings.) You could also blow a lot on the evening buffets. There is a happy hour in the bar that has 2 for 1 drinks, normally $12 ea. They also brought a bowl of marinated olives.

If you have the money to blow, then go for it. I know if I had an endless supply of cash, I would probably quit looking for bargains.

I think on the other Islands there are better over water bungalos, from what other posters have said.

I have not done this cruise nor stayed at the property.

I did want to impart one 'rule' that I normally have when it comes to overnight accomodations pre-cruise and post-cruise.

Pre-Cruise:

A clean place to sleep, shower and eat.

You have how many hours on the plane getting there . the first thing you will want is a shower and some sleep.

On your only 'full day' there yes you will eat, sun and enjoy the place. But mid-afternoon I bet will be a nap . then dinner.

You are staying an extra day (good choice) but the checkout time is what 11am? What time will the cruise board? I know in Auckland we had to be out of the room at 11am and the ship did not board until like 3pm.. so a great room/cabana/suite is wasted the last day also.

Post Cruise:

As wonderful and elegant as you can afford.

You will want to continue to be pampered.. room service.. great dining .. wonderful staff.

You will be on (or close) to the time zone so can enjoy everything the facility has to offer.

I can compare .. ORD-LAX-SYD-AKL and we wanted to eat and sleep (and only unpack a few required clothes). We picked a decent hotel chain with a nice location .. but nothing elegant.

Spent one night in SYD after the cruise in a corner suite at hotel on the harbour (Four Seasons then). Fabulous views and great staff. Had dinner in the suite watching our ship prepare to leave again . and the sunset. The hotel had picked us up at 9am that morning with a car and driver and we had done a 6 hour tour of the area .. leaving early evening for shopping. GREAT way to end a vacation .. then 6am pickup to the airport!

With a LONG flight ... pre-cruise hotel is a place to sleep. With a shorter trip .. yea I might go more upscale but ORD-MIA is only one hour time change.

When we did the cruise we stayed at Le Meridien in a suite but not an overwater bungalow. I wouldn't waste the money on the bungalow at the beginning of the cruise. If you have a couple of days at the end, then I would book one.

Also, you have to be out of your room some time in the morning, usually around 11am at the latest. You can board the Tahitian anytime after 11.30am which we did. Our cabin wasn't quite ready but we were able to go to the Lido and have lunch and then go downstairs to our cabin. We then walked across to the Marche and bought beautiful flowers which lasted the 10 days.

I do know that most of the flights leave Papeete late at night or very early in the morning. When we left the ship we had booked a day room from 2pm until 3am at Le Meridien. It was great and only cost half the amount of a normal room and yet we were able to sleep before we left for our flight.

If you want to stay in an overwater bungalow I would recommend the Sheraton at Moorea. We spent part of our day there when the ship tendered at Moorea and it was heaven!! I would rather spend the money there than in Papeete.

Jennie

Last May, we stayed at the Intercontinental in one of the Jr Suite OWB. I had paid $150 sometime back to become a Gold Ambassador which meant that I paid for a basic OWB and got the upgrade for free. The Motu OWB are a little smaller (no sitting room) but are more convenient so might be a better deal for you.

We opted to fly in on Air France. The flight landed around 5am and by 6:30am, we are already at the hotel, checked in, and unpacked. So, for our two night precruise, we really had 3 days of use of the hotel. I agree, if you are on a later ATN flight, you really don't get benefit of OWB. One couple in our group booked regular room for first night and OWB for second night just because they were arriving so late.

Marc

Archived