Non-MDR Gluten free option on Glorystst Is

cruisegal134

I am sailing on the Glory with my husband in February. I am gluten intolerant. I know that the MDR has gluten free options, but I would like any information about gluten free options in the other dining venues. This is my first Carnival Cruise and I would like to know what to expect.

For example, does Guys offer a gluten free bun? To me, a burger is not a real burger if it is not on a bun. It is just a slab of meat on a plate. Is there gluten free pizza in the pizza place ( and how is it?) and do you have to order it ahead of time and wait half an hour for it like on RCL? Not complaining. I am happier to wait than to not have pizza at all.

On RCL’s Oasis, they had a cupcake shop that advertised gluten free cupcakes. They rarely had them available and the one time I got lucky, they sold me the cupcake and then said, “just be aware that the frosting is not gluten free”. What? Then it is not a gluten free cupcake, is it!?! Any who puts flour in frosting?

Also, is there gluten free bread in the deli? And I don’t want lunch meat on a plate. I would like a real sandwich. You get my drift.

It would be so nice to have options like everyone else. My dear hubby is not a fan of eating in the MDR every day. If he was, I would probably live on the GF chocolate melting cake I read about on here. It sounds decadent!

Any information outside of the MDR is greatly appreciated. I am not on a “gluten free diet”. If I eat gluten, I will swell up like the Goodyear blimp and spend days in bed in the fetal position whimpering.

I would love to hear from other gluten free folks who have traveled on the Glory.

Thanks so much!

I googled carnival deli gluten free bread and it came up with lots of info. First link was to carnival special needs which mentions GF deli bread, pasta, pizza dough available on request. Also saw a post from CC that specifically mentions GF buns available at Guys. They said you have to ask because there was no signage to the effect. I didnt read anymore of the google hits, but if you search the same, you should find them all. Have a great trip.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I have gotten gluten free pizza, on a couple of ships. just went up on told them what I needed took about 15 minutes. They also have some gluten free bread, its so so. I have gotten gluten free buns from Red Robin ( which are pretty good for gluten free buns, and are sealed individually) and taken them with me. that way I can make my own ham and cheese, ect.

I have, but almost everything refers to the MDR. I saw a thread for Glory where someone was asking about gluten free buns at Guys and gluten free bread at the deli, but no one answered the question. They just talked about the MDR.

Did you open any of the threads? They diverge from the MDR to other food areas.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the glory last year and my daughter has celiac. She requires strict GF with no cross contamination. MDR would provide menu a day in advance to prepare fresh gf meals. Guys does have a gf bun and it was pretty good. After waiting approx 10 min for a gf bun, we had to wait again due to cross contamination by the staff at the counter. They meant well and were apologetic, but you have to watch everything very carefully. There was gf pizza at the pizza place, my daughter didn’t like it very much. We went to the mdr for brunch on a sea day for gf pancakes, but they weren’t very good either. There is gf bread at the deli and room service for sandwiches. Again, just need to be extra careful about cross contamination. The gf lava cake was delish, and she loved the ice cream station. There were some options at the buffet as well. Overall, gf food was ok, but could have been better. I believe it would be so much easier for staff, and better for customers, if they had a dedicated area/section for food allergies/intolerances on the lido deck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to say that the GF breads and buns are not that good. I haven't found any, mass produced GF breads that are and then you have to toast them to make them passable.

Guy's does offer GF buns but on a couple of occasions there would be a wait while they went to get them. I just opted for a bunless burger and they are delicious. Now I don't even bother with the bun because it actually detracts from the good burger and toppings. Ask the deli to toast the bread and it is edible. I have Celiac but found that "trace" contamination, such as using a shared toaster, will not set me off but I still have to be careful. Skip the bread in the MDR. It is not good.

The pizza is very good. About one year ago they changed crusts and it was a big improvement.

The GF tortillas at Blue Iguana are quite good and can almost pass for a regular flour tortilla.

I do not know if there are gluten free cakes or cupcakes available at the coffee bar. I've never asked.

No matter what you will find plenty to eat in the alternative venues, Lido and MDR.

Take care,

Mike

This is fantastic information and perfect timing! We leave for the Glory on Saturday. I am excited to try the GF tortillas. I am used to horrible GF bread, but for a burger, I just use the bottom half and a knife and fork. At least that way it is more of a burger experience and not just a lump of meat on a plate. I would never have thought to even try Blue Iguana, so now I am thrilled.

Thanks, everyone for all of the great tips!