Good Plan?

sjmbruce

My husband and I are hoping to spend a few days in Puerto Rico before our cruise with Royal Caribbean. It's our first time in Puerto Rico and our first time with Royal. Here's our tentative plan, please let me know if you have a suggestion, if something sounds like a bad idea or just won't work. Thanks!

Wednesday: Fly in and take a cab to our hotel in OSJ. Unpack a little to organize, unwind, and use their rooftop pool. Eat dinner, probably at their restaurant.

Thursday: Explore the forts after breakfast and spend the rest of the day exploring all of OSJ.

Friday: Maybe church in the A.M. if any local places of worship are doing morning Good Friday services. Take a cab to Condado Beach, rent chairs/umbrellas and spend the majority of the day there.

Around 4:00, walk or take cab to meet my family where they are staying for one night at the Marriott Stellaris. Eat dinner there with them. Spend time with them at the pool if allowed, or if not, time on the beach. Take a cab back to our hotel in OSJ.

Saturday: Sleep in a little, eat breakfast, check out of hotel and take a cab to the ship, probably around noon.

Can't speak to the Condado area, having not been there, but Old San Juan is well worth your time. I'd recommend visiting El Morro. Your plan looks great! I've never done a pre-cruise hotel in San Juan will when we cruise in April. The last time we flew to PR the day of the cruise departure we barely made it on the boat due to a 5-hour delay out of Philadelphia airport.

I think you'll be pleased with Royal as well. All the ships we've been on are really nice. Good food, shows, and service. Assuming your cruise is the last week in March being that you mention possibly attending a Good Friday service?

You’re missing lots of good stuff to do in Puerto Rico.

If you’ll be renting a car (or are willing to pay for a tour bus), visiting El Yunque rainforest is a must.

Another great experience is the bioluminescent bay. It’s a kayaking excursion you do at night, through a bay that has organisms that light up in the water (kind of like fireflies) when they’re disrupted. Kayaking Puerto Rico has lots and lots of good reviews. https://www.kayakingpuertorico.com

My only caution is to check the moon cycles for when you’ll be visiting, because the biobay should only be done when the moon is very small to nonexistent https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/

There’s also an area with “food trucks” that open at night. They’re actually restaurants that are in a bunch of garages, but the idea is similar to a “food trucks in the park” experience. I think it’s called the Luquillo Kiosks. Those are near the biobay tour and would need to be reached by rental car or expensive cab ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I are hoping to spend a few days in Puerto Rico before our cruise with Royal Caribbean. It's our first time in Puerto Rico and our first time with Royal. Here's our tentative plan, please let me know if you have a suggestion, if something sounds like a bad idea or just won't work. Thanks!

Wednesday: Fly in and take a cab to our hotel in OSJ. Unpack a little to organize, unwind, and use their rooftop pool. Eat dinner, probably at their restaurant.

Thursday: Explore the forts after breakfast and spend the rest of the day exploring all of OSJ.

Friday: Maybe church in the A.M. if any local places of worship are doing morning Good Friday services. Take a cab to Condado Beach, rent chairs/umbrellas and spend the majority of the day there.

Around 4:00, walk or take cab to meet my family where they are staying for one night at the Marriott Stellaris. Eat dinner there with them. Spend time with them at the pool if allowed, or if not, time on the beach. Take a cab back to our hotel in OSJ.

Saturday: Sleep in a little, eat breakfast, check out of hotel and take a cab to the ship, probably around noon.

What you have laid out is definitely doable and a great plan to give you a taste of what Puerto Rico has to offer. We have stayed in Condado before and while all of the beaches are public I do not remember independent vendors renting chairs and umbrellas. Most of the chairs and umbrellas available are in front of the hotels on the beach and are only for resort guests. You may want to look into a day pass if you need a chair and umbrella. You can just put your towel anywhere and enjoy the beach.

Someone else mentioned the rainforest and bio bay. I know as of right now the rainforest is not open yet after the Hurricanes. It sustained significant damage.

Enjoy your stay in OSJ. We love spending time in PR precruise.

-Kristi

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good points by both bouhunter and cruisin’. You certainly shouldn’t feel obligated to fit in every highlight of an island if you don’t want to. I took your question to be wondering if there were Puerto Rico specific activities that you were missing in your plan since you’ve never been there, but as bouhunter said, those activities add significant time, planning and money to your current plan. And as cruisin’ said, the rainforest is currently closed. Who knows if it will be open by March or not. The biobay is open though.

My favorite ship is Royal Caribbean’s Adventure of the Seas. I have been in it the last 6 years. Love the Promenade.

El Morro is a must. So many levels and incredible Kodak moments. Also check out the cemetery.

Another favorite place is a walkway called the Paseo de la Princessa. Gardens, statues, local vendors all leading to a picturesque fountain called Raices. Have lunch or at least a chocolate fix at the Choco Bar restaurant in San Francisco St.

Google El Yunque and get the latest update on the rain forest at their website. There is only a small amount open. Trails still need to be cleared and the road sustained major mud slide damage.

I just took a catamaran ride in December and one of the crew members also has worked for Bio Bay companies. The bio bays also sustained damage to the plant life and organisms that give it the unique bioluminescence. Although they have started excursions, I was told they are only a fraction of what they were. Although slowly getting better, she said.

Have a super time.

My favorite ship is Royal Caribbean’s Adventure of the Seas. I have been in it the last 6 years. Love the Promenade.

El Morro is a must. So many levels and incredible Kodak moments. Also check out the cemetery.

Another favorite place is a walkway called the Paseo de la Princessa. Gardens, statues, local vendors all leading to a picturesque fountain called Raices. Have lunch or at least a chocolate fix at the Choco Bar restaurant in San Francisco St.

Google El Yunque and get the latest update on the rain forest at their website. There is only a small amount open. Trails still need to be cleared and the road sustained major mud slide damage.

I just took a catamaran ride in December and one of the crew members also has worked for Bio Bay companies. The bio bays also sustained damage to the plant life and organisms that give it the unique bioluminescence. Although they have started excursions, I was told they are only a fraction of what they were. Although slowly getting better, she said.

Have a super time.

You mentioned the Promenade...can you walk all the way around the ship? Looks like it on the Deck 5 diagram.