Texting onboard Celebrity Cruise

the2cruisingwebers

I just got off the Constellation two weeks ago and the Celebrity App does offer messaging functionality. Please note the messaging functionality is not available fleet-wide yet. You need to check on which ships messaging is available. Someone posted on this board recently a chart with what functionality is available on which ship, but I can't find it now.

An annoying feature missing in messaging on the Celebrity App is that there is no notification of message arrival on iPhones. We were informed that this feature is in place for Android phones.

Edited by tjunmin

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Does anyone remember the good ole days when there was no technology aboard ships and if you wanted to know why someone was late you called their cabin?  Or if you wanted to communicate you left a voicemail message or a sticky note on their door.  When I was working and knew that as long as I was on the ship I was out of reach and not expected to check in and do my email every day in case there were problems I had to try to solve from thousands of miles away?

I am not picking on people - I myself am now so used to being connected that I go nuts when I don't purchase unlimited internet.  But I'll tell you one thing - cruises were ALOT more relaxing back then.  

We always have unlimited too - but it is far more fun to find a non tech answer to communicating.  When DD was younger it was useful to be able to message "Get back to the cabin NOW" when  she was out too late.  But she is now 20 so I think that would go down like a lead balloon!  We write notes to one another saying where we are or are planning to be.  If you want to find someone, drop by the cabin and look at the notes.  When we travel with others we left notes in Michael's for each other - or on suite doors.  I think (I hope!) the staff found it amusing rather than annoying!

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Does anyone remember the good ole days when there was no technology aboard ships and if you wanted to know why someone was late you called their cabin?  Or if you wanted to communicate you left a voicemail message or a sticky note on their door.  When I was working and knew that as long as I was on the ship I was out of reach and not expected to check in and do my email every day in case there were problems I had to try to solve from thousands of miles away?

I am not picking on people - I myself am now so used to being connected that I go nuts when I don't purchase unlimited internet.  But I'll tell you one thing - cruises were ALOT more relaxing back then.  

I totally agree.  I am 100% OFF from work but having 4 teen and young adult kids on the ship with me, and elderly parents, I want to be able to keep track of who is where.  I’m hoping the app works for our cruise in 13 days

On 2/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, pleezto24 said:

Supposedly with the Celebrity app, you can connect to the ship WiFi and use the app to view menus and event time including messaging WITHOUT buying the WiFi internet package. This will give you a free alternative than buying internet packages for everyone if you just want to message fellow passengers. 

As others said the app is rather limited and doesn't work all the time.   The main problem is when you send a text to another passenger it doesn't notify them (ping).    You have to go in physically look.      I was on a b2b and on the first cruise I could not get it to work.  The second it worked ok.