Oasis or Getaway??

KBucks31

Our family wants to sail in May (DH, 4 young adult kids 19-25). We haven't done this in a long time and I want to get it right. We like water sports, good food, fun bars, pools days, shows etc..

I have booked on NCL but now see so many bad reviews. We've always sailed RCL; now I'm wondering if I should switch to the Oasis. Am I being paranoid? Should I stop reading reviews?

ANY advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Have been on NCL'S Breakaway (sister ship) and the pool area is SOOOOOOOOOOOO small. I don't know WHAT they were thinking!!!! Honestly though....the rest of the ship is amazing.

So would you strongly suggest we pay the darn fee for vibe?

Not at all. Just make sure someone is there early to get lounge chairs by the pool. In no way am I suggesting to be a chair hog....but you stated that you are pool people....just get there early. Tons of fun!

Have been on NCL'S Breakaway (sister ship) and the pool area is SOOOOOOOOOOOO small. I don't know WHAT they were thinking!!!! Honestly though....the rest of the ship is amazing.

We were on the Getaway and have to agree with you 100%.

That pool is more suited to a ship that has 1500-2000 pax not 4000.

Plenty of pool space on Oasis.

The away ships are much better for food options after 9:30pm at O' Sheehans as compared to the same ole tired selections at the Promenade cafe.

Shows are excellent on both.

Bill

Just FYI there is no pool in the Vibe area. I believe that the Getaway does have two hot tubs in that area though. We just went on the Escape in May and it only had 1 hot tub in it. But good luck getting the Vibe passes. They are very limited and extremely competitive to get. You have to get to the port early and be in boarding group 1, and then be lined up to get onto the ship and run straight to the comedy club to try to get the passes. My husband and I have just barely managed to get Vibe passes on both Norwegian cruises that we've been on, and that area is wonderful. I would highly recommend trying to get the passes if you can... especially if you like to lay in chairs. They have padded chairs, the servers are fantastic... they bring around fresh fruit, cold towels, cookies, and the drinks are some of the best on the ship because the bars aren't overly crowded and the bartenders make the drinks by hand instead of the premixed drinks that you'll get by the main pool, and it's never crowded there so you can always find a chair.

We are going on our first RCL cruise this year, so I can't compare between the two cruise lines, but we love Norwegian so much that we were hesitant to book the Allure. The all you can drink package, Howl at the Moon, Vibe area, and all the specialty dining options always make the cruise for us. We just went on the Carnival Vista last Feb and we enjoyed the NCL ships that we were on much more, so I don't think it would hurt to give them a try.

Edited by melnemac32