Just Off Navigator Yesterday - Advise Needed

Our family got off Navigator of the Seas yesterday and there was a situation on-board that we're just not really sure how to handle.

On Embarkation day, my nephew who turned 2 on this cruise was in his cabin with his parents and started asking to eat. My SIL and BIL told him that they were about to go eat. What they did not realize at that point was that he had found 2 pills from a previous cruiser. As they turned around, they saw him swallow one of the pills and they were able to get the second pill away from him. They immediately rushed him to medical where the doctor and team could not identify either of the pills so, they gave him some charcoal and said that if he did not use the restroom in a few days or he started vomiting to come back to medical. The charcoal played with his system all night with his stomach hurting and him not feeling good. Wednesday morning comes and he is still not feeling like himself and he has not used the potty so, they took him back to medical and they gave him a suppository. They did not have one for kids so, they broke it in half for him. We went out to Cozumel and after a short time he used the bathroom and had a little bit of fun in the pool and ocean and seemed to be feeling a bit better. Later that evening or the next morning, he started not feeling himself again and they took him back to medical because he should have pooped more than once. They apologized and said that they accidentally gave him the adult dosing of the charcoal and gave him another suppository.

Once this issue was brought to the cabin steward he was so sorry as he has kids and said he even called his wife to tell her. Royal Management on the other hand has been less than satisfactory. An investigation was in the process of being conducted and all we know is that no more pills were found in the vacuum cleaner. Requests to have a member of management meet with my SIL and BIL was never setup as promised. They were offered $500 off their next cruise, but I'm not sure if they took it or not.

On Monday, they are going to consult with his regular doctor and they have the second pill so, hopefully it can be tested to see which drug it is.

This is very serious, we have no clue if he will have any lasting effects from this incident. What's fair in this situation? This same situation could happen in a hotel and would the the exceptions be the same? What would you do in this situation?

This is absolutely terrifying. It could have resulted in serious injury or death. Thank goodness it sounds like everyone is ok.

I would insist that Royal Caribbean grant you a full refund of the cruise because of negligence on the part of the housekeeping and medical staff. Two egregious errors. In addition, I would consult with a lawyer and consider filing a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is absolutely standard operating procedure. It's just how compensation works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DGS is allergic to peanuts. When we boarded the Summit when he was a toddler, my DD found a peanut under the desk, fortunately before he did.

When we brought this to management’s attention, they refunded his fare.

My immediate thought would have been to have RCCL contact the prior guests to say that nobody is in trouble, but you may have dropped your prescription medicine or something else, and a toddler ate one, so we are hoping you can help us know if this is serious or not. We all know the cruise line knows how to contact us quickly.

OP said: Requests to have a member of management meet with my SIL and BIL was never setup as promised.

I would not have waited. I would have asked for a time, when that time came and went, I would be back at guest services until someone showed up. You have to be forcefull when your child's health is at stake. If it came to this, I would not have left the ship without speaking to someone.

Hope all is okay, please come back on and give us a followup.

As a parent myself, I understand why the OP's family were upset. But my two cents is that clearly the child is fine, so perhaps it is time to move on. Honestly, if they were that concerned about the pill and what effects it might have on the child, why didn't they seek medical attention in Cozumel? Or at the very least bring the pill to a pharmacy there to see if they could identify it? We are now a week out from when the child took the pill and clearly it had no significant impact.

The OP stated that the child didn't feel himself after taking the pill and being treated. That could have been the pill, the charcoal, traveling, dehydration, something he ate, some germ he picked up, the list goes on and on. Sadly, post reads to me as though the family is more concerned about being compensated than they are about the child, who clearly has not suffered any long lasting ill effects.