A Massage for my wife

Alex P. Keaton

I opted for a massage/facial combination. I think the sales pitch lasted longer than the massage. One of her little jars of wonder cream for those nasty lines around my eyes (I'm 41, what do you expect?) cost $300. Two days later the same list of recommended products showed up in my cabin, just as a reminder.

I agree with the therapist who recommended a massage before the cruise. The weeks leading up to a vacation are always stressful to me and the benefits of a massage last for several days. Top it off with a beach massage somewhere, and Voila! Husband of the year.

"Take a letter Maria, address it to my wife, say I won't be coming home, got to start a new life........" Thanks a lot, Pete!

The last cruise I went on I didn't book a massage for exactly this reason..... although I considered booking the massage and telling the girl her tip would improve greatly if she didn't push products on me..... I didn't have the guts to do it though.

It's your massage and your money my dear-I've never had a massage on board, but I've heard about the 'product pushing'-I would have no problem saying 'no', but I detest pushy salespeople. Massage therapists in Ontario are not supposed to receive tips, so my opinion of upping this is coloured slightly, lol.

If you want a massage, you should get a massage-just tell them flat out that you will not be buying any products and don't let that stop you.

Illinoisgal-those poor therapists on board probably get really a bad split too, lol. I wonder what training guidelines they need? I considered working on one for awhile, but met up with a Carnival ex-hair stylist getting off the Elation. Didn't sound like fun, lol.

I dont think they have to have the formal trining like you and I did, plus they dont make very much either. We talked about it in class ( one of my instructors was Canadian and she was awesome so smart and had the funniest little sayings) and I remember her saying since they are in the international waters anything goes.

I dont think they have to have the formal trining like you and I did, plus they dont make very much either. We talked about it in class ( one of my instructors was Canadian and she was awesome so smart and had the funniest little sayings) and I remember her saying since they are in the international waters anything goes.

Okay-now I'm completely hijacking this thread. :D That's what most of my instructors said too-no money on a ship, long hours and next to no training. Another teacher said that they need to be registered in whatever country they're from, which means they have various levels of training. You need at least 2200 hours in Ontario. :)

I was not... but THANKS.... NOW I am:D

Tom

Me too :eek:

I agree with Timmy's Mom on the massage thing. I don't spend my money on those anymore, I spend it with my regular massage therapist at home before I go and on the beach while I'm wherever I am.

I bought my GF a GC for christmas for $130, for a massage on the Victory in Jan. I will let you know how that goes :).

It is funny she is a virgin cruiser and i was explaining how it all works and how it is good to tip the cabin steward, and she said "if i tip him will he give me a free massage"? i said no, and if he is cute he really wont ha.:eek:

My daughter and I had a couples massage on the Fascination, and it was $200.00 plus tip, on a sea day. It was nice, but the sales pitch was not fun. The ones I had on the beach at Coz and Costa were as good, and a lot cheaper.

Take a letter.... (yes, I got it too)

I had lunch by myself once in the dining room on the last cruise, met a couple of nice Grandpa and Grandma-type people. All had had massage onboard and were completely disappointed. When I mentioned I was a RMT they all jumped at it.

For some reason I was a little uncomfortable with their suggestion of giving them a massage in their staterooms. :eek:

I can see the next post now-"smuggling massage therapists aboard in your suitcase-the Listerine method or the make up bag method?". LOL :D

I had one massage on a ship and never again because it was like a high pressure sales event. I did not buy anything but it was very irritating , stressful and not relaxing for me. If I want a massage now, I go to a local spa and get one where no one tries to sell me anything. My husband and daughter did have a massage on a beach in Mexico and it was very reasonably priced and very relaxing, they both loved it and would highly recommend it.

OK, different type of spa service...two years ago we were on Celebrity Millenium and they offered a 45 minute couples room. I don't remember the name of the service, but it was awesome. It was a small, tiled, steam room (nice and hot) with 3 cold water fountains and they supplied different muds and oils and such. It was $98.00 and we did the massaging...amazing and relaxing.

Do you know if Carnival Liberty offers such a thing?

Isn't there an effective way to tell the mausseuse (sp?) up front that you do not want to buy any products? Or, if they keep pushing the sales pitch all during the massage and you told them you won't be buying anything, I wouldn't feel bad in leaving a very cheap tip, what enjoyment did you really get if they do something that you told them not to do (sales pitch). It must be like being stuck at a time share sales pitch. yuk.

I had lunch by myself once in the dining room on the last cruise, met a couple of nice Grandpa and Grandma-type people. All had had massage onboard and were completely disappointed. When I mentioned I was a RMT they all jumped at it.

For some reason I was a little uncomfortable with their suggestion of giving them a massage in their staterooms. :eek:

I can see the next post now-"smuggling massage therapists aboard in your suitcase-the Listerine method or the make up bag method?". LOL :D

Hey no one has to smuggle me, Ill go for free.

Isn't there an effective way to tell the mausseuse (sp?) up front that you do not want to buy any products? Or, if they keep pushing the sales pitch all during the massage and you told them you won't be buying anything, I wouldn't feel bad in leaving a very cheap tip, what enjoyment did you really get if they do something that you told them not to do (sales pitch). It must be like being stuck at a time share sales pitch. yuk.

Just to let you know most like to be refered to as massage therapists, Massuse has the idea of the 'happy ending" type of massage

Just to let you know most like to be refered to as massage therapists, Massuse has the idea of the 'happy ending" type of massage

Thanks for the education. I never imagined there was a "distinction". I always appreciate being raised from the depths of ignorance.:cool:

Very valid, Illinoisgal!

In Ontario we're called 'registered massage therapists'-we're on

the same level as registered nurses, doctors, etc. We don't get the same respect as the above, but that is slowly changing and we have protected titles like nurses and doctors do. If you haven't completed the 2200 hour program and passed our board exams, you cannot call yourself a RMT.

That's why we have 2200 hour programs-a nursing program is 4 years, my RMT program was 3 years. ;) A lot of the stuff I'm trained to do I will never use again in my life-but it's nice to know it.

Now if I could only pay off my student loans... :D

Very valid, Illinoisgal!

In Ontario we're called 'registered massage therapists'-we're on

the same level as registered nurses, doctors, etc. We don't get the same respect as the above, but that is slowly changing and we have protected titles like nurses and doctors do. If you haven't completed the 2200 hour program and passed our board exams, you cannot call yourself a RMT.

That's why we have 2200 hour programs-a nursing program is 4 years, my RMT program was 3 years. ;) A lot of the stuff I'm trained to do I will never use again in my life-but it's nice to know it.

Now if I could only pay off my student loans... :D

Archived